• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Start Of My New Kookaburra Collection

8ace

8 minutes ago, Rab7096 said:

Thanks for the advice, Thelonerangershore.

Interesting typo 😂

The Perth Mint is one of the best in the world for bullion. Kooks are primarily just bullion (there are Proof versions and special editions) but these bullion kooks are semi-numismatic, people collect them and they have great designs. When first introduced in 1990, the 300,000 issue limit of the Kookaburras was oversubscribed by more than five times and supplies ran out on the first day of issue. They have remained extremely popular ever since

You're fine buying up to about 200 of the more common 1oz Kooks before you might begin to venture into the £3K CGT limit that's coming in for FY 2024/25 if you were to sell. The CGT limit is only on profit so even buying 200 you would have to make £15/coin to have anything to worry about with taxes

If you're planning on growing your stack over the long term, most people would recommend buying mostly UK legal tender coins (e.g. Britannias, Queen's Beasts, anything with a face value like £1, £2, £5, etc). There is no CGT on UK legal tender within the UK so you can stack and sell as many as you want (up to £85K/year in silver, unlimited in gold) without worrying about taxes

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

• 3 months later...

I love the Perth Mint coins however the designs can be hit and miss. As far as silver bullion quality is concerned - I have always been happy with them and they are most impressive to look at.

I personally love the 10oz Kookaburra coins. Weighty, chunky and slightly different size to the RM 10oz coins. Much much nicer finish too IMO.

On 10/07/2023 at 12:26, 8ace said:

That's why I like forums, the wealth of knowledge is amazing.

I have one question about the size of 1oz Kooks?

I've measured mine at around 40.55mm and a thickness of 2.9mm. The internet cant seem to make it's mind up and the Perth Mint quotes 40.9 x 3.5. any idea what they should be?

Cheers 

The 40.6mm Air-tite caps for ASE's will fit PM coins including Kooks, but Kooks normally come with caps anyway.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

8 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The 40.6mm Air-tite caps for ASE's will fit PM coins including Kooks, but Kooks normally come with caps anyway.

Was thinking that was always the case with ones I’d bought, unless someone is splitting from a roll, you might find a few loose ones circulating for that reason I guess.

8 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

Was thinking that was always the case with ones I’d bought, unless someone is splitting from a roll, you might find a few loose ones circulating for that reason I guess.

I think they're in caps in the rolls too - the rolls are just shrink wrapped over a stack of coins in caps.

image.thumb.jpeg.e374bf9a6d69031a45bec1e4fd7e9e97.jpeg

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Just now, Silverlocks said:

I think they're in caps in the rolls too - the rolls are just shrink wrapped over a stack of coins in caps.

Ah right, wouldn’t have known buying no more than a couple each year. Rarely heard comments about them damaged, which might explain it.

4 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

Ah right, wouldn’t have known buying no more than a couple each year. Rarely heard comments about them damaged, which might explain it.

I've got a few dollaridoos of various sorts and they all came in caps.  I have a definite soft spot for Perth Mint.

51 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

Sometimes I think the RM might benefit from re-integrating the branches.

On 18/11/2023 at 08:57, CowPat said:

Got my first Kookaburra this week. I won a 2009 in last month’s TSF giveaway. Awesome coin in the hand. 

IMG_4474.jpeg

This is not a 2009 Kooka, the bird is the wrong one, looks like a coin from the 2009 kooka P20 set, 10k only ever made. Showing the first 20 kooks from 1990 to 2009. Can anyone spot what year the bird is? 

14 minutes ago, silvergaga said:

This is not a 2009 Kooka, the bird is the wrong one, looks like a coin from the 2009 kooka P20 set, 10k only ever made. Showing the first 20 kooks from 1990 to 2009. Can anyone spot what year the bird is? 

the design is from 1991 

https://en.m.ucoin.net/coin/australia-5-dollars-1990-1991/?tid=46725#google_vignette

Edited by daca

On 18/11/2023 at 08:57, CowPat said:

Got my first Kookaburra this week. I won a 2009 in last month’s TSF giveaway. Awesome coin in the hand. 

IMG_4474.jpeg

So folks has Cowpat got a 1991 kooka or a 2009 kooka? The 1991 would be a very expensive coin to buy today. The 2009 can still be bought for £45 from dealers in the UK.

Edited by silvergaga
add info