• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should a silver bullion stack be diverse?

No - just good mints from my point of view for 3 reasons: 

- it will sell quicker and hold value
- it wont tarnish or go bad as much. 
- If you get all the same they will stack neater & you can sell them all in one go at a set price. 

I bought a few Nadir last year and although they are assayed fine, I swapped them out for 1kg Umicores on a 15kg deal. 

Holding a bog standard bar (Unicore (for example)) makes sense - thats what i have. 
No harm getting a few that are more premium - I have a 20oz Scottsdale Kitkat - wont harm anyone. 
My shiny ones flew out the door the other month - cant remember the name - but northern irish. 

To add to that the vintage bars tend to sell well & have a premium price. 

Edited by Stacktastic

1 hour ago, lfhooper said:

For example, if I want to buy 4 10oz bars, should I get each one from a different mint (Scottsdale, PAMP, Heraeous, etc.).

Or is 10oz of silver just 10oz of silver and branding on it makes no difference?  

The main reason to buy bars is to stack weight at the lowest possible cost although some bars are collectibles

Yes brands make a difference as the other guys said. Scottsdale and Germania are more premium brands than PAMP or Heraeus. Different designs on bars like Royal Mint Una vs Royal Mint Britannia can have a big difference on price

If coins cost less than bars per ounce it makes sense to buy coins. Taxes can be an issue. Legal tender Brit coins are CGT-free in the UK

In Taiwan the prices, taxes and availability may differ. If it was me and I had no taxes to pay, I would be stacking mostly oriental-type silver that's easy to get over there but more scarce in the UK/USA. Perth Mint is considered local in that part of the world too and is considered one of the best mints. I'd be stacking Kookaburras and Dragon Dollars but that's just me. I messed up my UK stack by buying way too much foreign silver, almost everything I buy now is foreign 🤷‍♂️

Edited by HonestMoneyGoldSilver
per ounce

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

In Taiwan the prices, taxes and availability may differ.

If it was me and I had no taxes to pay, I would be stacking mostly oriental-type silver that's easy to get over there but more scarce in the UK/USA. Perth Mint is considered local in that part of the world too and is considered one of the best mints. I'd be stacking Kookaburras and Dragon Dollars but that's just me. I messed up my UK stack by buying way too much foreign silver, almost everything I buy now is foreign 🤷‍♂️

From what I can see online the prices available to me in Taiwan are a bit cheaper than UK - I reckon because VAT is only 5% here. For example, a 2023 Kookaburra 1 oz is $1807NT - £27. UK prices are more like £32 +? Bars also eg. Scottsdale 10oz stacker $9060nt - £226. Being sold in this forum for £280 + 

2 hours ago, lfhooper said:

For example, if I want to buy 4 10oz bars, should I get each one from a different mint (Scottsdale, PAMP, Heraeous, etc.).

Or is 10oz of silver just 10oz of silver and branding on it makes no difference?  

Stacking weight? Buy the cheapest you can. It might all be the same, it might not

Looking for an easy sell in the future? Stick to known brands (or buy tubes, as mentioned)

Do you collect? Buy the ones you like the most

Worried about premiums? You tend to be able to recover the premium you paid in the first place. Or see previous point.

There's no right answer, it just depends on your goals and desires. My stack is diverse, but I know people who try to stack the same thing as close to spot price as possible.

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

7 minutes ago, iacabu said:

Do you collect? Buy the ones you like the most.

I'm looking to start collecting. So yeah good point I'd rather have a selection of bits and prices I really like the look of than just a mass of metal.

Plus I move around a lot - so don't want to accumulate too much weight. 

Edited by lfhooper

1 minute ago, lfhooper said:

I'm looking to start collecting. So yeah good point I'd rather have a selection of bits and prices I really like the look of than just a mass of metal.

Maybe buy some gold instead then!

www.fyldecoins.co.uk

I dont like coins as they can milk spot and degrade, but I do collect the beast proofs and QB sets. 
One thing with tubes is they are great bartering coins if things ever get that bad.

Soverigns & fractional much better for inflation over time as there is no guarantee the silver price will break out (same price as in the 70's)!

Edited by Stacktastic

I think diversification is a good idea but only to a certain limit... and to further complicate matters, that limit will be different for everyone.  In my opinion, you first need to ask yourself why you are stacking silver.

Are you trying to flip it for a short/medium/long term profit?  Are you accumulating it for a SHTF scenario?  Are you just planning on holding onto it as an inheritance for your loved ones?  Or any number of other possible reasons?

Whatever the case, I believe your endgame should dictate what kinds of silver you purchase now, and in what quantities.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 13:33, lfhooper said:

Buy Gold

A silver stack gets pretty heavy pretty quick.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."