• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Non 'St George' Sovereigns

I began stacking Soveriegns in 2022. This has turned out to be serendipitous (though quite by accident) as it is one of the rare occasions that the reverse didn't feature St George in one design or another.

To be upfront about it, I don't like the George & Dragon design. I'm sure that will have the purists foaming at the mouth, but as with all things of an aesthetic nature, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know there have been some notable variations, even to old St. George - thinking of 2005 and 2012 here. But all things considered, my preferences still lean toward those that forego His Saintliness entirely.

I've leaned heavily on @LawrenceChard's homework from the very helpful: https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/tails-the-designs-on-the-reverse-of-british-sovereigns/156?guide=1574

From which I have gleaned the following:

1825 - 1871:  Ensigns Armorial or 'Shield Back'

1989:  Tudor rose

2002:  Shield

2022:  Jubilee  (QEII)
2022:  Memorial  (KCIII)

I've amassed a baffling number of the 2022 Jubilee sovereigns already and will undoubteedly pick up some of the Memorial KCIII versions too.

But as they're for stacking only, and I'm not in it for any truly numismatic purposes, do I need to forego picking up some of the others on the list?  I'm assuming they've breached the bullion bubble and have become 'collectible' - and therefore, not practical from a weight:price perspective, compared to others?

I'd welcome thoughts and perspectives - and will even accept being labelled a philistine.

All the best.

FNF.

Philistine! 😉😁

My advice would be to consider diversifying into 1/4 oz gold coins if you haven't already.

Advantages:

Can be four nines fine 😉 so they actually look like gold!

Lots of different designs to choose from, even in the UK in recent years (e.g. Britannia, Lunars, QB, TB, Gold Standard)

Disadvantages:

Premiums on buying - although these can generally be recouped on selling

That said - purely for stacking/liquidity I would choose sovereigns over 1/4 oz gold coins and instead consider saving up for the occasional 1oz gold coin.

1 hour ago, FourNinesFine said:

I've amassed a baffling number of the 2022 Jubilee sovereigns already and will undoubteedly pick up some of the Memorial KCIII versions too.

Once you have the Memorial KCIII version (Tavex is selling these at a reasonable premium) then there's only a few to go.. if for now you forego picking up the super collectible 1989 proof sov then it'll really be a 'Shield Back' and the 2002 shield that you're after. You could get an example of each.. it's fine paying a bit more for them beause you'll get the premium back on the way out if selling on the secondary market.

36 minutes ago, Wileyfox said:

if for now you forego picking up the super collectible 1989 proof sov then it'll really be a 'Shield Back' and the 2002 shield that you're after.

Thanks Wiley! Sensible advice.

I saw a couple of the 1989 proof sovs online. Were they ONLY released as proofs? I hadn't realised that if so, and would definitely rule them out.

43 minutes ago, StackemHigh said:

There are plenty of non RM  sovereigns that have been issued by other mints/countries.

Well I'd never even thought about that. Will probably stick to RM ones unless the price seems too good to pass up but I doubt I'll go hunting for them.

Thanks for pointing them out though.

Edited by FourNinesFine

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

The 1989 is proof only and has a hefty premium Vs bullion

If you're interested in 1887 and earlier shields you'll pay a little more for good examples. Once you get a shield I think you'll be hooked 

I'm on my phone so reading the responses in reverse order.

Thanks for pointing out the 1989 is proof only. I had no idea.

As for the shields... "You'll be hooked" - I actually think you're spot on about that. I don't own one yet but I can almost feel it in my hand. That's weird isn't it?

Edited by FourNinesFine

1 hour ago, Stuntman said:

Philistine! 😉😁

😉 

That said - purely for stacking/liquidity I would choose sovereigns over 1/4 oz gold coins and instead consider saving up for the occasional 1oz gold coin.

This is pretty much my strategy, I think.