• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Lord's Prayer on a threepence

pricha

2 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

I went through a phase of collecting engraved coins and have the same one - there is a small but fervent market for them. They were hand engraved and are often referred to as love or sweetheart tokens.

The lords prayer appears to be a common theme. 

If you don't mind me asking, what/where would you search to find those sorts of coins?
I've never seen or heard of them (which isn't saying much as I'm a newbie to this world, but still)

In England, it is "forgive us our trespasses" and in Scotland it is "forgive us our debts". I don't know about Wales and Ireland (pre partition).

The British Museum entry indicated that it was a 50 year mintage , I assumed that the passage was stamped during minting.

Edited by HillWalkerDundee

4 hours ago, pricha said:

I picked up this some time back. Excuse me if I've already asked , I don't remember (age).  I was amazed by it. I assume it's genuine engraving  rather than fake using Modern technology.  Anyone have any ideas or has something similar? Thanks 

20221120_174448.jpg

20221120_174500.jpg

I have seen many coins with engraving on them. Some are simple "love tokens". Cramming lots of words onto a small coin must have been a popular challenge in the past, rather like the craze for fitting a large number of students into a mini.

Biblical texts such as the Lord's Prayer or Ten Commandments are probably relatively common. They may have been done a an apprentice challenge.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

In England, it is "forgive us our trespasses" and in Scotland it is "forgive us our debts". I don't know about Wales and Ireland (pre partition).

The British Museum entry indicated that it was a 50 year mintage , I assumed that the passage was stamped during minting.

The text on these or similar was not stamped during minting, but would have been engraved later, by hand or machine.

Some hand engravers use pantographic "stencils", so many pieces may be engraved with similar fonts.

😎

Chards

35 minutes ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

Would the coin have been stamped on one side and the other left blank for the inscription?

No.

The Royal Mint made the coin in the normal way.

Later, some individual engraved it, grinding or filing the surface flat beforehand.

😎

Chards

13 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

I have always used "which"

Hmm I wasn't aware there were different versions. Everyday is a learning day as they say.

Im very far from an expert on the subject, having being raised by devout atheists. However, I've only ever done the Anglican and Catholic versions of the prayer in weddings/funerals etc. both of which used 'who'.

I think the difference between the two is whether you believe that God is in the form of a person (see And God made Adam) or an entity of some type which is far superior (wrong word) to that of flawed human beings. Also the use of the word "debt" is a more accurate translation but many use "trespass" to avoid the financial connotation.