• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

800 Silver identification - polite request for help

Katiec

Hi to all

I'd be grateful for some help in identifying a piece of 800 silver which I think is beautiful. It has been in my family for quite some time and now it has been passed on to me.

I'd like to find out more about its origin but the hall marks/identificatoin marks are proving tough for me to research! 

Please any help would be very much appreciated!  Thank you in advance 

Katie IMG_20221114_113836.thumb.jpg.96a7d8a073d2f6ebbaec40037939261f.jpg

It is for sure an italian hallmark after 1970, when the star mark became mandatory in the front of maker number and region initials, but without a better picture I can not tell you what town or maker name.

Try, please a better picture and maybe we can help you with more informations.

All the best!

Stefan. 

Just now, Mobius said:

If you can't get a better pic can you see/read the numbers and letters on the centre mark?

Yes, @Katiec, we can not sleep next weeks if you are not updating your question with picture or numbers and letters...😊

Dear @Katiec.

Please, log in again and tell us what it is written in the polygonal centre mark...

I can not sleep and eat well from Monday, the food and wine have not the same taste like before, I've lost already four kilograms, my skin look more pale... I can not wait too long, please, do something!...

Even @Mobius is not very well...

Edited by stefffana

Hi lovely people in this forum for trying to help me identify this silver piece..... I am so sorry for not replying sooner. I had a fall at home and damaged my back !!! Miserable! But... I'm upright again and still trying to find out more about the mystery of this gorgeous silver bowl I have!  So happy so many of you want to help...

I will try to take a better picture of the marks .... I think I can make out the initials AFN in an and a small flower maybe a daisy next to it?!

Best version of hallmark etc attached 

So sorry for being such a novice! that's why I am so grateful for all of your help..... I am learning to love silver !!!!

Can't wait to hear from you all. How exciting 🙂Have a super day/evening 

Katie xxx

silver 800 plate .jpg

Oh thank you so much James  Steffana and Mobius.... my lovely helpful detectives are on the case - blessed to have your help.

Can I show you guys another picture of it that might help?

I'm a new collector of silver and I have to admit I'm becoming a bit addicted to finding out the history of the bits and pieces I have...it's not easy though! Some pieces are a real puzzle !

Best to you all

Katie c x

IMG_20221121_144848 (2).jpg

Hi, @Katiec. I am happy you are better and ready to talk with us.

The italian hallmark after 1970 is this type:

image.png.95269a8b4f00a2671800a98ea21c6ca1.png

where the star is showing it is an official government's silver hallmark, the numbers are the maker's mark registered number and the letters are the abbreviation of the province.I

I still can not decipher from your picture. Please, read using eventually a loupe or if your eyesight it is not great, a younger eye from family and tell us exactly what it is written.

163203440_silver800plate.jpg.a46781111f034e01fe7e63cb40b42bdd_kindlephoto-633044429.jpg.ff6363c4a8a485af327365925c19d33c.jpg

Hi Steffana 

Thanks a million  for the good wished and for the silver information...- so interesting!! 

Ok so the first symbol is the star then the second square is very worn and almost impossible to decipher a number - it actually looks slightly like another flower or a leopard head !! The last 2 letters are P A - that is what I can see under a small jeweller's loupe that I recently bought from Amazon....it has saved me squinting so much ha ha.

May I please ask what are the 3 symbols left of the star ?! AFM??? - no idea what that means either.

So grateful for all of your help and such a fast reply too. It is like putting pieces together in one big puzzle but it is fascinating.

Lovely night wished hope to hear from you soon

Katie c xxx

The bowl was made in Palermo, Sicily.

I have tried to find out the silver maker name from the list of 93 registered silversmiths, having in mind the initials AFM, but there are not matching the names.

Maybe A is from Argenteria, Artigiana or Argentiere,  F can be from Fantasia, Fabbrica, etc.

Or maybe are not AFM, are another stylised letters, I really can not see.😊

The list of silver makers registered in Palermo you can find on here: https://www.silvercollection.it/SILVERSMITHSPA.html

Try to focus on those still active after 1970. 

Those three symbols probably are the logo signs of the maker.

If I'd have access to have in hand few minutes this book, I would be able to tell you more about: https://link.westminster.gov.uk/portal/Marchi-Delle-Argenterie-E-Oreficerie-Siciliane./7JD9bfcMKbM/.

This is all I could decipher using your descriptions and pictures.

Finally, maybe I will sleep tonight!🤗

tenor (70).gif

Hi @Katiec! Glad you're feeling better.

Getting an in focus picture of a highly reflective surface close up can be difficult if you're using a phone. Your phone should select macro mode automatically, but if not do so manually then find the focus point of the lense; start really close up and draw backwards slowly. Changing the angle slightly as you do so may help it resolve the detail depending on what light is above you. Another method is to place a magnifying glass over the hallmark (if you have one) then take a picture through the glass. Works well but involves a bit of limb to limb coordination!

Failing that take a regular picture without macro but in excellent focus and crop the image, sometimes that will be enough to do the trick 👍🏻

Thank you  so very much to you all for an amazingly helpful and detailed response to my request for help. I'm so impressed by your detective work !

I shall try the rubbing and macro photo technique to try and get that elusive number!!

I now know far more than I did thanks to you guys. I'm amazed to find the bowl is from Palermo ... I thought it might be German... shows how much I know ...

I can sleep tonight knowing so much more

THANKS A MILLION YOU LOVELY GUYS AND GALS XXXXXX

Just now, Katiec said:

Thank you  so very much to you all for an amazingly helpful and detailed response to my request for help. I'm so impressed by your detective work !

I shall try the rubbing and macro photo technique to try and get that elusive number!!

I now know far more than I did thanks to you guys. I'm amazed to find the bowl is from Palermo ... I thought it might be German... shows how much I know ...

🤗 You are welcome!

It was a real pleasure!

4 hours ago, Katiec said:

Hello @Katiec, look what I found! 

spacer.png

Look familiar? 😉

As it turned out, AFM is indeed the name of the producer: AFM from Palermo (as @stefffana rightly identified). This is their webpage where you can also see their products: http://www.afm.it and here you could even buy some of them:

https://www.argenteriamb.it/en/24_afm-argenti.

Edited by CollectForFun
New links added