• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Istanbul Gold Market

AgCoyote

I'm sure there is someone who has been there. I'm considering a trip to Turkey next year. Are there conventional bullion coins available in this market(Britannias, Kangaroos, Maples, Eagles etc) or is the only bullion coin option the Ataturk coins? Do those coins have a currency value when you go through customs of another country?

Thanks.

I have been several times to Istanbul.  The gold market is stocked full of Gold & Silver jewelry and chains sold by length.  There are a few stalls selling bullion and proof coins- typically local coins but also the odd coin such as mainstream Eagle, Britannia, Libertad etc. and the odd Silver and gold bar- but not in any kind of quantities- looked like they were just reselling what they had traded in. 

16 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

I'm sure there is someone who has been there. I'm considering a trip to Turkey next year. Are there conventional bullion coins available in this market(Britannias, Kangaroos, Maples, Eagles etc) or is the only bullion coin option the Ataturk coins? Do those coins have a currency value when you go through customs of another country?

Thanks.

All coins have a currency value, with the possible exception of demonitised ones. It will not affect whether you have to pay import duty or tax when you imprt them into your own country. If you cross multiple borders, you might get hit multiple times. If you are only talking about low values, there should be few problems, but anyone crossing international borders with large amounts of cash, coins, money, or other valuables should check whether each import is legal, and whether they are required to declare it.

For USA rules, I would advise you check with US Customs, or a local expert.

😎

Chards

You can get the türkiye cumhuriyeti bullion coin, which has the year of the Turkish republics birth, 1923 + years after it was minted, with Atatürk on. There is also the decorative Ziynet coin, which is thinner, and bigger, often used for decoration and for gifts, and you can get the older designs 

Darphane (Turkish state mint) also does commemorative coins

21k-36grams-turkey-lira.jpg

872d8e5afd9c5050d4ce578d12f8f5f8.jpg

eaf28ce39b1313cd24375f17734472c9.jpg