• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Upcoming Great Engravers 2022/23

NumismaticNI

Being a collector of this series, what are your thoughts about the upcoming release, has anyone heard of the Reddite Crown as being the next in the Series, this will be a new start in the series being the work of Engraver Thomas Simon. Any thoughts? 

Although if this year should still show the effigy of QEII. 

img~2.jpeg

3 hours ago, NumismaticNI said:

Being a collector of this series, what are your thoughts about the upcoming release, has anyone heard of the Reddite Crown as being the next in the Series, this will be a new start in the series being the work of Engraver Thomas Simon. Any thoughts? 

Reddite Crown? I think I read it somewhere, perhaps on Reddit!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

https://www.spink.com/media/view?id=135#:~:text=The Reddite Crown%2C takes its,time%2C to demonstrate his skill.

This link shows the work of Thomas Simon during the reign of Charles II 1663 on the Reddite or Petition Crown - Superb IMO!

It’s fascinating to read (and re-read) the story behind these Crowns.

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I sincerely hope they don’t do this.

The original Crown may be rare with a nice story to it and all, but let’s be real, this is hardly a phenomenal design.

I still hope the RM will do some of the really iconic but rare St. George and the Dragon designs.

G&D design is my preference as well, good luck trying to get hold of the original 1910 pattern or 1935 gold crowns, I'm sure many collectors wouldn't complain about a RM re-issue of those.

Also I hope they avoid the two coin set approach they took with the gothic crown, I understand it was a coin where both sides were classics but the way they went about it didn't seem very fair on the collectors.

10 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I sincerely hope they don’t do this.

The original Crown may be rare with a nice story to it and all, but let’s be real, this is hardly a phenomenal design.

I still hope the RM will do some of the really iconic but rare St. George and the Dragon designs.

Could you be more specific about which rare and iconic G&D designs we are talking about about?  Other than Pistrucci ?

1 hour ago, SilverJacks said:

It would be nice to go back to designs that feature on coins with unobtainable prices ( for most people anyway), like the first two releases. 

I've always wondered whether they could re-release these coins again with new mintage figures seeing as the obverse will have to change due to the queens passing and Charlie boy taking over.

The queen was around for so long that the RM wouldn't of had the opportunity to do it before.

1 hour ago, GoldStatue said:

I've always wondered whether they could re-release these coins again with new mintage figures seeing as the obverse will have to change due to the queens passing and Charlie boy taking over.

The queen was around for so long that the RM wouldn't of had the opportunity to do it before.

If RM are reading this thread, you have just given them the idea of a Wyon set with King Charles obv. Limited mintage in all 45 different denominations

9 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

It’s fascinating to read (and re-read) the story behind these Crowns.

9 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

https://www.spink.com/media/view?id=135#:~:text=The Reddite Crown%2C takes its,time%2C to demonstrate his skill.

This link shows the work of Thomas Simon during the reign of Charles II 1663 on the Reddite or Petition Crown - Superb IMO!

21 hours ago, NumismaticNI said:

img~2.jpeg

Could look very nice redone in the yellow metal 

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ...

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ... 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F5%2F0%2F9%2F23509127%5D%2Csizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I would personally like this pattern coin 

Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria gold pattern Crown ND (1887),...

Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria gold pattern Crown ND (1887),... Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria gold pattern Crown ND (1887),...

They could go for the rocking horse crown 

Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,...

Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,...

This link of previous Great Britain gold pattern coins that have sold via Heritage auction could give some inspirations to the next in the series 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=790+231&Ntt=pattern+gold+great+britain&ic4=SortBy-071515

You'll need a Heritage account made view attained hammer prices etc 

5 hours ago, Paul said:

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ...

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II gold Proof Pattern Crown 1662 PR63 Cameo NGC, ... 

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F5%2F0%2F9%2F23509127%5D%2Csizedata%5B200x400%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria gold pattern Crown ND (1887),... Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria gold pattern Crown ND (1887),...

Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,...

Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George V gold Proof Pattern Crown 1935 PR65 Deep Cameo PCGS,...

This link of previous Great Britain gold pattern coins that have sold via Heritage auction could give some inspirations to the next in the series 

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=790+231&Ntt=pattern+gold+great+britain&ic4=SortBy-071515

Some really gorgeous coins there. 😍

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I linked to another post I had made elsewhere with G&D designs. See above. 🙂

Ah, the ‘Rocking Horse’ crown by Percy Metcalph!  I’d forgotten about that one - used to have a silver one.

I believe the term was penned by Richard Lobel from ‘Coiincraft’ probably because of the ‘wooden’  nature of the image. Although this 1935 coin was a one-off  he would qualify as a great engraver for his work with Irish and Egyptian coinage…..

Thanks for the reminder.

12 hours ago, Paul said:

First coin here looks similar to the quartered arms design, personally like the 2nd one

16 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

If RM are reading this thread, you have just given them the idea of a Wyon set with King Charles obv. Limited mintage in all 45 different denominations

I'm sure they've already thought of that 😀  No doubt they will soon announce the British Monarchs set going up from 21 coins to 22 to complete the run with Charlie boy added to the end it.

3 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Ah, the ‘Rocking Horse’ crown by Percy Metcalph!  I’d forgotten about that one - used to have a silver one.

I believe the term was penned by Richard Lobel from ‘Coiincraft’ probably because of the ‘wooden’  nature of the image. Although this 1935 coin was a one-off  he would qualify as a great engraver for his work with Irish and Egyptian coinage…..

Thanks for the reminder.

That's a good point, because although the Rocking Horse crown is really well known the designer didn't really do a lot else with the Royal Mint.

You probably would expect that for them to be a great engraver they should have done a few good coins for the RM.

1 hour ago, GoldStatue said:

That's a good point, because although the Rocking Horse crown is really well known the designer didn't really do a lot else with the Royal Mint.

You probably would expect that for them to be a great engraver they should have done a few good coins for the RM.

I guess there are some things the RM should be figuring out…

Can they find “great engravers” besides William Wyon and Benedetto Pistrucci who have done more than one coin worthy of being a part of this series?

Will the next set feature coins from a single engraver?

For that matter, is the series about the engravers, or about the coins?

For example with the Reddite Crown, would people want a modern reproduction because the coin itself is beautiful? Or because of the story behind the original?

With the Wyon Great Engravers coins, I don’t think the coins were desirable because William Wyon was the engraver; but rather because the designs themselves were superb - sublime, intricate, iconic - and something collectors would want to own.

FWIW, I personally don’t find the Reddite Crown design particularly exceptional compared to the numerous other “cruciform shield” designs we have on so many other coins. In any case, I believe part of the appeal of the coin is not so much in the shield, but in the petition inscribed on the edge, and in the portrait of King Charles II.

Edited by westminstrel

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Can they find “great engravers” besides William Wyon and Benedetto Pistrucci who have done more than one coin worthy of being a part of this series?

I guess that is the problem the RM face, there's so many to choose from, they could produce a few more Wyon coins and they haven't even started with the Pistrucci designs yet.

For that matter, is the series about the engravers, or about the coins?

I always thought the intention was to show case the engravers work, so it was really about the engravers themselves.

With the Wyon Great Engravers coins, I don’t think the coins were desirable because William Wyon was the engraver; but rather because the designs themselves were superb - sublime, intricate, iconic - and something collectors would want to own.

On top of that they're probably the best re-strikes you are going to get from ridiculously priced and hard to come by originals.

So the big question should we expect to see the next release this month or in February?

I don't find the Reddite Crown design particularly exceptional either, for me with Una and the Graces in particular, these are masterpieces of artwork in miniature, it would be nice if the RM can continue to produce truly exceptional coins in the series, to me the Reddite isn't in the same league if your looking for eye appeal. But then again it is about the Engravers 

Often overlooked, is that engravers from the past have achieved their form of 'greatness' with very little technology, probably working in cramped conditions at the Tower Mint in London, and not in a super-duper computer driven modern facility like Llantrissant.   Regardless  of whether you like the Reditte Crown or not, Thomas Simon, like all the other engravers were pioneers of their time.....

6 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Often overlooked, is that engravers from the past have achieved their form of 'greatness' with very little technology, probably working in cramped conditions at the Tower Mint in London, and not in a super-duper computer driven modern facility like Llantrissant.   Regardless  of whether you like the Reditte Crown or not, Thomas Simon, like all the other engravers were pioneers of their time.....

Good point you make here. ☝️ 

My feelings about the Reddite Crown are that the “replica” would be akin to the Henry VII British Monarchs coin.

A nice story behind the coin, fascinating how the engravers created the dies with age old tools, etc.

The original coin may be a work of wonder for these reasons, but what does a modern reproduction really add?