• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

One less 1/10 silver Britannia in tube for 2023

MickB

I'm wondering why the Royal Mint has decided to only put 15 coins into the tubes for the 2023 1/10oz silver Britannias compared to previous years where they had 16 but I can't think why they decided to. Any ideas why? 

19 minutes ago, MickB said:

I'm wondering why the Royal Mint has decided to only put 15 coins into the tubes for the 2023 1/10oz silver Britannias compared to previous years where they had 16 but I can't think why they decided to. Any ideas why? 

Premium mark up I expect they just want to exploit the good times

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

2 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I've noticed they put up the price of a tube since last week as well.  

4 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Its possibly the Quality Street trick? Reduce the size of the tin and keep the price the same, rather than leaving it the same and increasing the price

2 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Do you think they are just trying to rationalise the range? Having 15, 20 and 25 in tubes, is simpler than 16, 19 & 25. 

I think just make more money.... Market exploitation!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

6 minutes ago, Orpster said:

🤷‍♂️

I still bought a tube of 1/4oz, I like them enough to pay the ridiculous premium 

Think they've sold out of the 1/4oz now. 

38 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I don't think they have? It's just been following the price of silver. 10 days ago they were more expensive than they are right now.

You're right. I was looking at the wrong item on my invoice, doh! 

My tube of quarters arrived today - i say tube but unfortunately the end was off so i received 20 shiny little loose coins and an empty tube. I suppose the cost of a bit of tape to secure the lid was beyond the RM. Ironic really seeing as the tube was thrown placed in an envelope which was then placed in a box surrounded by packing paper.

I haven't yet decided if it's pure incompetence or deliberate disdain. I'm edging to the latter.

4 hours ago, MickB said:

I never knew there were 16 per tube.

What I weird number.

Perhaps they got offered a job lot of tubes!#But seriously, why not 10, 20, or perhaps 25 per tube.

We did go decimal back in 1971, and the French started metrication around 1789.

😎

Chards

I'm sure those of you that have been on the RM tour will know that they pack the £1's in bags of 1979 i think...or something strange like that, because of the year they moved to wales. Correct me if i am wrong, i was too busy looking at the coins! 

78av.gif

25 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

I'm sure those of you that have been on the RM tour will know that they pack the £1's in bags of 1979 i think...or something strange like that, because of the year they moved to wales. Correct me if i am wrong, i was too busy looking at the coins! 

Haha, not quite - it's 1279 coins in the bag, the year the mint set up shop at the tower. Go on the VIP tour and you get to pick the bag up, put your hand into the streams of warm freshly minted coins coming out of the machines etc. Amazing!

They don't pack the pound coins in bags of 1279, it's just that one bag on show for people to guess how many are in it. Circulating pound coins are not bagged up at all at the mint - they're shipped out loose in the big metal boxes (close to a million quid in each) and only end up being put into bags at the external cash centres.

Edited by paulmerton

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Haha, not quite - it's 1279 coins in the bag, the year the mint set up shop at the tower. Go on the VIP tour and you get to pick the bag up, put your hand into the streams of warm freshly minted coins coming out of the machines etc. Amazing!

They don't pack the pound coins in bags of 1279, it's just that one bag on show for people to guess how many are in it. Circulating pound coins are not bagged up at all at the mint - they're shipped out loose in the big metal boxes (close to a million quid in each) and only end up being put into bags at the external cash centres.

I really wasn't listening then 🤣 the VIP tour is great, that room was mind blowing. 

78av.gif

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I never knew there were 16 per tube.

What I weird number.

Perhaps they got offered a job lot of tubes!#But seriously, why not 10, 20, or perhaps 25 per tube.

We did go decimal back in 1971, and the French started metrication around 1789.

😎

Having 15 in a tube makes it easier when there are multiple tubes for counting how many ounces there are. 16 was a bit odd to have in a tube of 1/10 oz's as was having 19 for the 1/4 oz's. 

Almost as odd as the Chinese panda's being dropped down to 30 grams. Makes it harder trying to keep a tally of exactly how many ounces you have. 

2 hours ago, MickB said:

Having 15 in a tube makes it easier when there are multiple tubes for counting how many ounces there are. 16 was a bit odd to have in a tube of 1/10 oz's as was having 19 for the 1/4 oz's. 

Almost as odd as the Chinese panda's being dropped down to 30 grams. Makes it harder trying to keep a tally of exactly how many ounces you have. 

I guess the Chinese preferred to be metric instead of using western imperialist cspitalist tradtional troy ounces.

😎

Chards

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I guess the Chinese preferred to be metric instead of using western imperialist cspitalist tradtional troy ounces.

😎

Shame the Chinese didn't make theirs 25 gram so you could stack an exact kilo of coins if they prefer metric weights.

I might be developing ocd now!

On 18/10/2022 at 08:13, LawrenceChard said:

😎

With China being such an old country i'd have thought that they would have their own archaic imperial weights and measures that would show them westerners a thing or two. Instead going for the more modern SI system.