• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 low mint half sov?

Stackem

Hi guys I received this recently from a mixed choice purchase (where you get a coin of the dealers choice) 

After some research and asking a friend it seems that this year and being non proof version has a low mint of around only 497 half's minted that year. 

Can anyone confirm and clarify? 

Also interested to see if this affects valuation? 

IMG-20220923-WA0029.jpeg

Edited by Stackem
Update text

1 hour ago, Stackem said:

Hi guys I received this recently from a mixed choice purchase (where you get a coin of the dealers choice) 

After some research and asking a friend it seems that this year and being non proof version has a low mint of around only 497 half's minted that year. 

Can anyone confirm and clarify? 

Also interested to see if this affects valuation? 

IMG-20220923-WA0029.jpeg

If you want good information, you need to ask the right person, not just "a friend".

I don't know where he got his "information" of "about 497" from, but the proof version had close to 10x that mintage, and the non-proof bullion version will have been closer to 100x that number.

😎

Chards

22 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you want good information, you need to ask the right person, not just "a friend".

I don't know where he got his "information" of "about 497" from, but the proof version had close to 10x that mintage, and the non-proof bullion version will have been closer to 100x that number.

😎

Great speaking with you I'm a big fan of what you do :) he referenced this..? 

"the gold sovereign Steve Hill revision" 

IMG-20220923-WA0033.jpg

Edited by Stackem
Update text

4 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

Yes the 2016 bullion is 472 so less than  the proofs :)

Here is mine

Its BU so very well struck

Screenshot_20220923-212242_NGC.jpg

Screenshot_20220923-212329_NGC.jpg

Wow that's awesome how much did it cost for you to grade it? I'm thinking about having it graded, is there currently a premium with it being such low mint

Also what's BU? Pardon my ignorence 

Edited by Stackem
Update text

25 minutes ago, Stackem said:

Great speaking with you I'm a big fan of what you do :) he referenced this..? 

"the gold sovereign Steve Hill revision" 

IMG-20220923-WA0033.jpg

Whoops! 

I was looking for 2006, for which my info is correct.

It would help if you rotated the image to make it readable more easily for me and others.

I don't believe the figure of 472 shown above. While it may be correct, a number of TSF members have noticed errors in various editions of The Gold Sovereign.

I suspect there are more than 472 currently being offered for sale.

The RM ceased to publish regular annual mintage figures some years ago. I don't know the exact date they started this.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Whoops! 

I was looking for 2006, for which my info is correct.

It would help if you rotated the image to make it readable more easily for me and others.

I don't believe the figure of 472 shown above. While it may be correct, a number of TSF members have noticed errors in various editions of The Gold Sovereign.

I suspect there are more than 472 currently being offered for sale.

The RM ceased to publish regular annual mintage figures some years ago. I don't know the exact date they started this.

😎

My apologies I did try to rotate but couldn't find an option to do so 😅, would it be worth grading and would you say the value is increased with this piece? Isit a year you have come across less frequently? 

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Whoops! 

I was looking for 2006, im old okay, for which my info is correct.

It would help if you rotated the image to make it readable more easily for me! My neck isn't as bendy as it used to be.

I don't believe the figure of 472 shown above. While it may be correct, I'm never wrong! So either I'm right or the books wrong!

I suspect there are more than 472 currently being offered for sale. I know I sold 500 last week alone!

The RM ceased to release accurate info some time after America pretended to land on the moon. Talking of moon's, did you see the gold price recently? Sheesh!

😎

Lawrence has been hacked again.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

24 minutes ago, Stackem said:

My apologies I did try to rotate but couldn't find an option to do so 😅, would it be worth grading and would you say the value is increased with this piece? Isit a year you have come across less frequently? 

I have never considered it to be a rare date, and as I say, I still doubt the accuracy of TGS book. It would be good to know where Steve Hill got his mintage figure from.

Time will (may) tell.

😎

Chards

8 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I have never considered it to be a rare date, and as I say, I still doubt the accuracy of TGS book. It would be good to know where Steve Hill got his mintage figure from.

Time will (may) tell.

😎

Wish I could ask him haha, though it is somewhat promising as there must be a reason he put that, like you say it will become more apparent over the coming years. Do you offer a grading submit service from your store given I am not a member of ngc I'd love to have it sent off? 

Just now, Stackem said:

Wish I could ask him haha, though it is somewhat promising as there must be a reason he put that, like you say it will become more apparent over the coming years. Do you offer a grading submit service from your store given I am not a member of ngc I'd love to have it sent off? 

@GoldDiggerDave offers a grading service on here ( takes all the guesswork and stress out of it)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, Stackem said:

I think TSF offers a slabbing service.

It is not something we could efficiently handle at present, although I think we have submitted a few special coins for customers.

I'm still a slabbing cynic, although I have softened my stance slightly in the last few years.

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think TSF offers a slabbing service.

It is not something we could efficiently handle at present, although I think we have submitted a few special coins for customers.

I'm still a slabbing cynic, although I have softened my stance slightly in the last few years.

😎

Fair enough, the slab and holograph add to the collectable aura of the coin, at least in my eyes 🤣

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

@GoldDiggerDave offers a grading service on here ( takes all the guesswork and stress out of it)

7 minutes ago, Stackem said:

Why thankyou I shall message him

Yes, he's a very helpful guy, but it might cost you a few beers!

😎

Chards

It's a little gem of a coin, 

26 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Time will (may) tell.

😎

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/mintage-figures/2016-dated-uk-commemorative-coin-sales/

The Royal Mint website. 

Screenshot 2022-09-23 at 22.23.50.png

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Oh Dave you just made my evening, what a great coin to have been sent in a dealers choice purchase 😄🙏

19 minutes ago, James32 said:

Guess work and stress are my best two qualities!! Thanks for the recommend... @James32. @Stackem  you need to see my next NGC unboxing video, I did start to filming  it tonight but there was so many coins my phone ran out of battery 🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Well done!

But isn't it dumb that the RM call the proof halves "The Half Sovereign 2016"*, as though it was written by someone with no understanding of what they were writing. 

* and similar for all the other proofs!

Also, there is no mention of bullion versions of any of the 5 sizes.

😎

8 minutes ago, Stackem said:

Oh Dave you just made my evening, what a great coin to have been sent in a dealers choice purchase 😄🙏

But see above!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Guess work and stress are my best two qualities!! Thanks for the recommend... @James32. @Stackem  you need to see my next NGC unboxing video, I did start to filming  it tonight but there was so many coins my phone ran out of battery 🤣🤣

Send me links!! 

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Well done!

But isn't it dumb that the RM call the proof halves "The Half Sovereign 2016"*, as though it was written by someone with no understanding of what they were writing. 

* and similar for all the other proofs!

Also, there is no mention of bullion versions of any of the 5 sizes.

😎

But see above!

😎

Are these not the bullion figures? 

Screenshot_20220923_224136_Chrome.jpg