• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 low mint half sov?

Stackem

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Well done!

But isn't it dumb that the RM call the proof halves "The Half Sovereign 2016"*, as though it was written by someone with no understanding of what they were writing. 

* and similar for all the other proofs!

Also, there is no mention of bullion versions of any of the 5 sizes.

😎

But see above!😎

There's so many inaccuracies with the BU/ proof sovereigns from the RM.  I'm convinced they made the more recent SOTD's all matte to try and keep it simple for themselves.   

4 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

There's so many inaccuracies with the BU/ proof sovereigns from the RM.  I'm convinced they made the more recent SOTD's all matte to try and keep it simple for themselves.   

Quite astounding that an official government led entity appears to have issues tracking figures and stats 😂 sounds familiar 

16 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

😎

The RM didn't like it when, many years ago, I suggested that the reason B.U. quintuple sovereigns had a "U" on them is so RM employees could tell the difference between them and proofs.

😎

Chards

11 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Not sure if i'm reading this wrong, but there's one for sale with a COA 0667 - Half Sovereign 2016 Brilliant Uncirculated, yet the RM list says that 472 were minted??

s-l1600.jpg

Does it have the special privy and London mint? 

Edited by Stackem

7 hours ago, DrDave said:

Not sure if i'm reading this wrong, but there's one for sale with a COA 0667 - Half Sovereign 2016 Brilliant Uncirculated, yet the RM list says that 472 were minted??

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe they only actually minted 472 with more planned but never happened. The 2014 is also 1 you rarely come across.

7 hours ago, DrDave said:

s-l1600.jpg

COA's are not reflective of the sales figures, I had a COA satin 2234 when they only sold 950 or something like that.

7 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

The RM didn't like it when, many years ago, I suggested that the reason B.U. quintuple sovereigns had a "U" on them is so RM employees could tell the difference between them and proofs.

😎

I think that "U" looks ugly as hell on the £5 sovereigns and I bet it still confuses them! 

"Myfanwy does this n stand for New?"  Myfanwy " You have it upside down Barri you are such an idiot, it's "U" for unrealised!

13 minutes ago, Richiesilver said:

These are very rare but I think due to their modern status they will not realise their true value for many years. 2015 was nearly the same, tiny number of bullion half sovs. I got one in a lucky dip buy from Atkinsons 😃

I suspect the 500 mintage shown in Marsh applies to the B.U. version, not to bullion coins. Similar to 2016.

In any case, 500 is not "very rare", except on ebay, where it is probably "unique"!

😎

Chards

18 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

😎

I've never known why they had the U on them, the thought of it meaning UNC had occured to me.

If it's a 2016 bullion half sovereign and not the Brilliant Uncirculated version - the mintages in that RM list do not show the bullion half sovereign mintage.

I suspect that the bullion half sovereign will have been minted in the high thousands, or the tens of thousands.  So it's not particularly rare in the context of post-2000 bullion half sovereigns with the George & Dragon reverse.

I certainly wouldn't expect to pay more for a 2016 than another similar year.

If it is indeed the BU coin then yes, it's relatively scarce, but once again I don't think scarcity will have a big effect on its value relative to other similar years.  I doubt if many/any dealers would offer you a higher buying price for it.

But definitely nice to get a scarcer coin on the lucky dip, in the same way it would be if you got a 2004, 2006 or 2007 sovereign.