• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scrap or Flip?

DrDave

Hi.

I recieved a batch of assorted Maples this week, and among them were a couple with tarnishing and milk spots.

Would you keep it in your scrap stack or sell on?

Thanks in advance

2015 Maple.jpg

Edited by DrDave

Depends on price paid.. silver is silver and if you got them cheap, keep!

If you paid the going rate £23 per oz or more the stick them in a separate pile and keep until they appear cheap for the next buyer ( likely someone looking to melt them)

Don't store naked with other clean silver items, no matter what you decide. 

Finally, they can be cleaned at-home, check YouTube for baking soda videos or even silver polish ( ⚠️ ⚠️ never try cleaning a numismatic coin/proof etc)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Depends on price paid.. silver is silver and if you got them cheap, keep!

If you paid the going rate £23 per oz or more the stick them in a separate pile and keep until they appear cheap for the next buyer ( likely someone looking to melt them)

Don't store naked with other clean silver items, no matter what you decide. 

Finally, they can be cleaned at-home, check YouTube for baking soda videos or even silver polish ( ⚠️ ⚠️ never try cleaning a numismatic coin/proof etc)

Ah thats interesting!

I'll give a go cleaning this weekend, after all, its not going to devalue by much!

Many thank

DD

28 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

And again, the Magic Silver Forum provides...  😁

You're welcome 🙂

Thats very useful. I think i have some bicarb somewhere

Thank you

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

Hi.

I recieved a batch of assorted Maples this week, and among them were a couple with tarnishing and milk spots.

Thanks in advance

Definitely don't scrap, although I do know a Blackpool bullion dealer who would give a good scrap price!

Probably don't bother "cleaning" (removing tarnish) them either. It takes time, it is not permanent, and will always tone / tarnish again eventually.

To the best of my knowledge, tarnish removal, such as silver dipping, removes slight amount of silver each time.

As a challenge to any and all TSF members, find a junk silver coin, weigh it precisely, then silver dip it for a lengthy time, perhaps several days, weeks or longer. Check it periodically to see how it looks, and re-weigh it.

You never know, @DrDave might want to take a photographic record of this experiment.

😎

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

No problem, I have a few 1oz Silver Brits that have similar issues, so will be bringing them up to scratch soon too. 👍

When you say "up to scratch", do you mean (Royal) Mint condition?

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

Hi.

i see some tarnish - where's the milk spot?
You could use some silver dip but for me i would just keep them and love them.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

14 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i see some tarnish - where's the milk spot?
You could use some silver dip but for me i would just keep them and love them.

A couple of the others had the milk spots........... well, when i say 'spots' its more like terminal acne 🥸

Edited by DrDave

33 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Probably don't bother "cleaning" (removing tarnish) them either. It takes time, it is not permanent, and will always tone / tarnish again eventually.

When you say 'not permanent', will it stay silver for longer than 1st class post delivery? Asking for a friend 😎

37 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Definitely don't scrap, although I do know a Blackpool bullion dealer who would give a good scrap price!

To the best of my knowledge, tarnish removal, such as silver dipping, removes slight amount of silver each time.

As a challenge to any and all TSF members, find a junk silver coin, weigh it precisely, then silver dip it for a lengthy time, perhaps several days, weeks or longer. Check it periodically to see how it looks, and re-weigh it.

You never know, @DrDave might want to take a photographic record of this experiment.

😎

When you say "up to scratch", do you mean (Royal) Mint condition?

😎

I once put a 1oz gold coin into a flask of sulphuric acid to remove finger prints and a copper spot.. I left it in for 2 days to be thorough,  its now a bloody sovereign 😁

34 minutes ago, James32 said:

I once put a 1oz gold coin into a flask of sulphuric acid to remove finger prints and a copper spot.. I left it in for 2 days to be thorough,  its now a bloody sovereign 😁

I hope it was a 1969 Krugerrand, because a 1969 sovereign would be extremely valuable!

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

Just now, LawrenceChard said:

I hope it was a 1969 Krugerrand, because a 1969 sovereign waouls be extremely valuable!

😎

All my sovereigns are 1969s 😁 

I bought a full tube from a very honest ebay seller, the condition is unbelievable for the age. 

On 29/07/2022 at 18:54, James32 said:

All my sovereigns are 1969s 😁 

I bought a full tube from a very honest ebay seller, the condition is unbelievable for the age. 

Any of those 1969s got either S,M mintmarks? 😁

Seems to be a ‘sad but true’ fact that Shiny sells - especially on the ‘Bay…

To me, bullion means marks / toning / tarnish etc - nature of the metal (Silver in this case) but having looked though many ‘sold’ auctions on eBay it would appear that buyers expect gleaming Silver bullion - even older full tubes from several years ago!

Horses for courses I guess, if I should sell my Britannias in small quantities on eBay I’ll make sure they are shiny before I photograph them, but if I sold a whole tube on here, I’d probably just show ‘as-is’ as I don’t think a few marks would affect the price to those in the know… ? Or am I wrong…? 🤔