• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Genuine or Replica 5$ Gold indian head coi

To err on the side of caution I'd say possibly fake. It could of course simply be the blurred pictures but the legends look all wrong and mushy to me - particularly the "FIVE"

These coins are faked quite extensively though.

17 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Fake no doubt 

Tooling marks legends not right 

I bought one on ebay, but seller is being a bit dodgy charged 25£ shipping but seems to have sent like 1st or second class and no shipping provided  won it in auction 

Back doesn't look great at all,but neither do the photos 🤷‍♂️

Thankfully you will be covered for 30 days so my advice is get it checked ASAP and returned if no good. It may be infact gold but still a counterfeit, so a Jewelers may not be the best option to check,if no established coin/bullion dealer near you then I'd send to a forum member who has had experience in these coins.....Leon or suchlike??.

I'd rather be down postage costs and a buy him a pint than have a burning feeling in the back of my mind for the foreseeable. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

8 minutes ago, James32 said:

Thankfully you will be covered for 30 days so my advice is get it checked ASAP and returned if no good. It may be infact gold but still a counterfeit, so a Jewelers may not be the best option to check,if no established coin/bullion dealer near you then I'd send to a forum member who has had experience in these coins.....Leon or suchlike??.

I'd rather be down postage costs and a buy him a pint than have a burning feeling in the back of my mind for the foreseeable. 

Great advice!

14 minutes ago, James32 said:

This was my exact thought when purchasing it aha agreed if anyone fancies verifying it. Thats if it even comes. 

2 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

Oh and I also have a genuine one I could compare it too and take photos next too, but totally up to you mate 👍

@MintageSeller 👆 this is the perfect option,  testing is one thing but to have a known genuine on hand to compare is even better.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

25 minutes ago, Mrpound said:

I have a sigma so I could tell you if it has the correct gold content but best option would fine a Jewlers that could gun it.

Cheers, id appreciate that. @Mrpound testing my coin... Mintage you are not the father of a 1908 5$ gold coin you have been scammed. 🤣

There are some really convincing fakes out there -  https://youtu.be/UacWhc3w5U4?t=245

This youtuber, TheCoinGeek, also has excellent content for US coins - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q66MLCNZAA

As stated by others, the coin we are referring to is a rather poor fake, but these vids still highlight just how tricky this coin can be.

I raised a similar issue with a $5 indian head I received from a dealer. 

I ended up returning it and think that was the right decision looking at your second photo it has a similar issue. The reeded edge isn't right for starters.

Thought you might like another comparison photo taken from Mike Fuljenz's book 'Indian Gold Coins of the 20th Century'  Mike states .."Counterfeit gold coins imported from China are a growing concern to the numismatic community."

Anyway this is the first of the 1908 Half Eagles  from the Philadelphia Mint (not Denver)....

IMG_2896.JPG

Edited by Britannia47