• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

James I and VI of Scotland (1603-1625) The British Monarchs Collection - Royal Mint

I quite like the look of it...

https://www.ha.com/information/modern-coins.s?type=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

- 500 - Grade 70 - 1 oz gold coins at Heritage Auctions of a 610 mintage

Only a 100 I assume will be available in the UK..  (What % of these will get a grade 70? )

Date of release very soon?

10 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

https://www.ha.com/information/modern-coins.s?type=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Only a 100 I assume will be available in the UK..  (What % of these will get a grade 70? )

• Expected ship date within 4 weeks  (just noticed from the HA website) 
  •  Does the 500 pre-graded USA coins impact on the UK 100 limited market.. or completely irrelevant? (I don't think the 100 UK  Henry VII coins have sold out yet)

So 500 graded at PF70. Most are “first release”!and they want an extra grand for one of first 100 struck. What an absolute swizz. 
I can see them bring out “the first struck” coin for an extra $5k.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

5 hours ago, BarryWoods said:
  • Does the 500 pre-graded USA coins impact on the UK 100 limited market.. or completely irrelevant? (I don't think the 100 UK  Henry VII coins have sold out yet)

The 100 Henry 1 oz golds sold out quickly but it seems a lot of them were returned to the RM as there was no profit in them on Ebay.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I'm not sure about this one. Not only, because it just looks like a proof coin, but it looks like a lot of detail on James' armour, like on the original coin, is missing. The restrike. Looks, like there are no details at all on the armour. But what i'm awaiting? They should take more time for this series. This looks like nothing special to me. I won't quit the series, but this is a bit disappointing.

6 hours ago, BarryWoods said:

6 hours ago, BarryWoods said:
  • Expected ship date within 4 weeks  (just noticed from the HA website) 
  •  Does the 500 pre-graded USA coins impact on the UK 100 limited market.. or completely irrelevant? (I don't think the 100 UK  Henry VII coins have sold out yet)

I can't see where it says 500 of them, let alone "500 pre-graded USA coins" (I thought they were UK coins).

The Heritage Auctions page does say:

""First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,450*
"One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,450*"

Is it me? Am I missing something obvious...

... or could it be that you are wrong yet again as usual?

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I can't see where it says 500 of them, let alone "500 pre-graded USA coins" (I thought they were UK coins).

The Heritage Auctions page does say:

""First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,450*
"One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,450*"

Is it me? Am I missing something obvious...

... or could it be that you are wrong yet again as usual?

The 1 oz gold has a total mintage of 610, 100 in OMP by the RM, 500 are going overseas graded with a contracted minimum 70 grade percentage of, who the hell knows. The James one of first 100 struck for 1000$ more has 96 PF70 graded coins.

3 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

The 1 oz gold has a total mintage of 610, 100 in OMP by the RM, 500 are going overseas graded with a contracted minimum 70 grade percentage of, who the hell knows. The James one of first 100 struck for 1000$ more has 96 PF70 graded coins.

Where does it say that?

... or does @BarryWoods now get privileged information direct from Anne Jessopp?

😎

Chards

Wind your neck in Lawrence.

It says total mintage 610  on the Heritage Auction website - see key features

So  same deal as Henry VII - 500 pre-graded to USA Royal Mint partner - 100 not graded  for the UK.  (leaving 10 for the Trial  presumably)

Royal Mint Exclusive deal with Heritage - so 100 (out of 610) left over for UK.. (as the Henry Vii - limited presentation of 100 to uk customers.)

https://canadiancoinnews.com/royal-mint-heritage-auctions-partner-on-monarch-collection/#:~:text=The British Royal Mint%2C one,dubbed the British Monarchs Collection.

Beginning in 2022 and running through fall 2026, the Royal Mint will strike the new series of one-ounce gold coins to honour the royal houses and their distinct numismatic portraiture. Heritage, an official Royal Mint distributor, will exclusively offer the coins to its clients over the next four years.

Detail. Detail. Detail. Or rather - lack of detail!

The coin is apparently based on this:

C0815980-83AD-4CE4-8C12-DEFADB515FDA.jpeg.0921556de4e81d9ad2e0c36c2d8bf0ed.jpeg
There’s some gorgeous details in there… but then we have this?

9B17362D-3D2D-410A-AD5A-4AA6A382FF70.jpeg.e1ed07862b536d1ba3e6a750485555b5.jpeg

I agree with @dikefalos. Where did the detail go? This looks like a low budget reproduction of a high end coin. I’m so disappointed. 

10 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Detail. Detail. Detail. Or rather - lack of detail!

The coin is apparently based on this:

C0815980-83AD-4CE4-8C12-DEFADB515FDA.jpeg.0921556de4e81d9ad2e0c36c2d8bf0ed.jpeg
There’s some gorgeous details in there… but then we have this?

9B17362D-3D2D-410A-AD5A-4AA6A382FF70.jpeg.e1ed07862b536d1ba3e6a750485555b5.jpeg

I agree with @dikefalos. Where did the detail go? This looks like a low budget reproduction of a high end coin. I’m so disappointed. 

It looks as though King James has lost a lot of weight over the years 😀 

The more I look at the fake rim damage the more I'm put off by the design, they could have at least altered it for each coin.

13 hours ago, BarryWoods said:

Wind your neck in Lawrence.

It says total mintage 610  on the Heritage Auction website - see key features

So  same deal as Henry VII - 500 pre-graded to USA Royal Mint partner - 100 not graded  for the UK.  (leaving 10 for the Trial  presumably)

Sure the Key Features paragraph reads:

Key Features
Second coin in the exciting new British Monarchs Collection
Based on the original numismatic portraiture of James I
Struck in 999.9 gold to Proof standards
Includes a Certificate of Authenticity from the Royal Mint
Graded and encapsulated by NGC in either "First Release" or "One of First 100 Struck" labels
Total mintage of the one ounce gold coins: 610
Expected ship date within 4 weeks
Limited quantities available!
Pricing for the One Ounce Gold Coins
"First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,450*
"One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,450*
* Limit: 5 per customer

W(here)TF does it mention 500?

Not to mention "500 pre-graded to USA Royal Mint partner"

In fact the only occurrence of "500" on the page is in the phone number "(214) 528-3500"

Come on Barry, pull your finger out, quote your source, and make it idiot-proof.

If indeed you have read about "500" elsewhere, please show us.

If however it is a product of your imagination, like much of what you have previously written, then please keep it to yourself.

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

It looks as though King James has lost a lot of weight over the years 😀 

The more I look at the fake rim damage the more I'm put off by the design, they could have at least altered it for each coin.

Perhaps they will on the actual production run!

To break off from the Spice Girls sub-thread, what it needed here is Trini Lopez, with:

If I had a hammer!

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sure the Key Features paragraph reads:

Key Features
Second coin in the exciting new British Monarchs Collection
Based on the original numismatic portraiture of James I
Struck in 999.9 gold to Proof standards
Includes a Certificate of Authenticity from the Royal Mint
Graded and encapsulated by NGC in either "First Release" or "One of First 100 Struck" labels
Total mintage of the one ounce gold coins: 610
Expected ship date within 4 weeks
Limited quantities available!
"First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,450*
"One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,450*

W(here)TF does it mention 500?

Not to mention "500 pre-graded to USA Royal Mint partner"

In fact the only occurrence of "500" on the page is in the phone number "(214) 528-3500"

Come on Barry, pull your finger out, quote your source, and make it idiot-proof.

If indeed you have read about "500" elsewhere, please show us.

If however it is a product of your imagination, like much of what you have previously written, then please keep it to yourself.

😎

Simple maths.. Mintage is 610 - UK had 100 limited presentation for Henry VII - and Heritage had the rest..

and as Heritage Auctions are the EXCLUSIVE distributor of these coins. (thus they get all the others)

I am expecting they will get the same number of coins! as the first coin as part of that 4 year deal. (ie Royal Mint again only offer a 100 in the UK)

• "First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,450*
  • "One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,450*

limit of 5 per customer....  !  (they have loads!) 

Heritage Auctions are the 'EXCLUSIVE' distributor. thus they have all the remaining coins. All graded at 70!!

So why would anyone who gets their coins graded want to buy a coin from the Royal Mint (ungraded only) when the Royal Mint will only quote a grade of 68 being acceptable from them?

Or from any UK dealer that has sourced a non graded Royal Mint coin?  When you can get a guaranteed grade 70 coin from Heritage auctions.. at £3375 and £4333 respectively

Not sure if the RM has thought this through.  I did see mentioned on a forum that a number of dealer were not that happy about that Royal Mint tie up with Heritage Auctions and these pre-graded coins

In the United States, Heritage Auctions is distributing the 1-ounce gold £100 coins, making them, apparently, the exclusive distributor for this coin.

Heritage offers the coins graded and encapsulated by Numismatic Guaranty Co., in either “First Release” or “One of First 100 Struck” labels.

The “First Release” label coin is priced at $4,950 each and the “first 100 struck” label example is priced at $5,950 each, with a limit of five of each type per customer.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/royal-mint-reuses-historic-portraits-of-monarchs

4 hours ago, BarryWoods said:

Simple maths.. Mintage is 610 - UK had 100 limited presentation for Henry VII - and Heritage had the rest..

and as Heritage Auctions are the EXCLUSIVE distributor of these coins. (thus they get all the others)

I am expecting they will get the same number of coins! as the first coin as part of that 4 year deal. (ie Royal Mint again only offer a 100 in the UK)

• Heritage Auctions are the 'EXCLUSIVE' distributor. thus they have all the remaining coins. All graded at 70!!

You are still making assumptions, and maths does not rely on assumptions, except for those too simple to understand.

If I may quote the Coin 

In the United States, Heritage Auctions is distributing the 1-ounce gold £100 coins, making them, apparently, the exclusive distributor for this CoinWorld article you cited:

This seems to infer that HA are only the exclusive US distributors, probably a fact which they HA failed to disclose to CoinWorld. the word "apparently" is also very significant in that sentence, for those who understand such things.

😎

Chards

Pricing for the One Ounce Gold Coins [James]

• "First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,950*
  • "One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,950*
  • * Limit: 5 per customer

OK, "IF"  HA are not the exclusive distributor for the remaining 500 coins of the 610 mintage.. Who are also selling them?  (nobody else was selling pre graded Henry VII 1 oz gold coins) 

Who else gets guaranteed grade 70 coins (at launch)

Are other dealers offered guaranteed grade 70 coins from the Royal Mint?

I note that HA are 'limiting' purchases to 5 per customer!!!  that also  implies they have the lot!

• "First Release" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $4,950*
  • "One of First 100 Struck" PR70 Ultra Cameo: $5,950*
  • * Limit: 5 per customer

(I notice the price has dropped at Heritage for the James coin, vs the first Henry vii coin) 

Now If I'm wrong, (and I don't think I am) it is absolutely no skin of my nose, so why the attitude?

No other dealer in the world, is offering grade 70 Monarch series 1 oz gold to their customers... (at launch, of each coin. that I'm aware of)

It seems to  me, the Royal Mint did a deal with heritage, and they get 500 of each 1 oz gold, for each of the entire  Monarch's series, and they are all at a guaranteed grade 70... what do other dealers think of that arrangement?

14 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

There are no 500 Henry, or James 1 OZ gold coins graded by NGC. So there could not be 500 graded coins with HA label. 

Heritage are clearly offering Grade 70 Henry VII and James coins, they an official distributor for the Royal Mint

They are only 'limiting' purchases to Five per customer!  -(total mintage is only 610! RM had a 100 Henry VII available)  how may do you think the have then? What do you think is going on?

Key Features

• Second coin in the exciting new British Monarchs Collection
  • Based on the original numismatic portraiture of James I
  • Struck in 999.9 gold to Proof standards
  • Includes a Certificate of Authenticity from the Royal Mint
  • Graded and encapsulated by NGC in either "First Release" or "One of First 100 Struck" labels
  • Total mintage of the one ounce gold coins: 610
  • Expected ship date within 4 weeks
  • Limited quantities available!

Edited by BarryWoods
left half a sentence hanging in bold, removed it, added a question

9 minutes ago, BarryWoods said:

Heritage are clearly offering Grade 70 Henry VII and James coins, they an official distributor for the Royal Mint

They are only 'limiting' purchases to Five per customer!  -(total mintage is only 610! RM had a 100 Henry VII available)  how may do you think the have then? What do you think is going on?

Key Features

• Second coin in the exciting new British Monarchs Collection
  • Based on the original numismatic portraiture of James I
  • Struck in 999.9 gold to Proof standards
  • Includes a Certificate of Authenticity from the Royal Mint
  • Graded and encapsulated by NGC in either "First Release" or "One of First 100 Struck" labels
  • Total mintage of the one ounce gold coins: 610
  • Expected ship date within 4 weeks
  • Limited quantities available!

You posted this like 12 times. There are no 500 Henry, or James coins with a HA label. Actual there are 152 Henry and 96 James coins with the Heritage label. Instead of posting the same post like 100 times, just check the NGC Census. 

4 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

You posted this like 12 times. There are no 500 Henry, or James coins with a HA label. Actual there are 152 Henry and 96 James coins with the Heritage label. Instead of posting the same post like 100 times, just check the NGC Census. 

Sorry. I thought you disagreed that HA were selling Grade 70 coins, not the numbers involved. 

Where are all the other coins then?  RM only had a 100 limited mintage for the 1 oz gold  Henry VII. 

Could it be, that RM have only minted and HA/RM  graded so many so far.. and HA have the option of all those coins, just not had the demand yet?  (prices HAVE dropped on the HA website for the James coin, vs prices for the Henry coin)

I keep asking/posting. because when the Henry VII coin launched - I nearly bought the 1 oz gold Henry VII from the Royal Mint ( I was  right at the front of the queue and got it into my basket)

and I noticed that whilst, RM said it was limited to a 100 in that edition,  the total mintage was 610. And that put me off!

What has happened  to the all the other coins of the 610 mintage?

How many can HA sell - just the ones graded so far according to the NGC?,

Do they have the options on all the coins (exclusive distributor implies that) or will the RM be offering them in some other form themselves?

It still appears to me that HA have the rights to sell 500 exclusively.  I told my RM account manager at the time that this put me off buying the 1 oz gold, and the series, just not knowing exactly what was going on with these coins. 

And could I buy a guaranteed grade 70 from the RM (the answer was no) which seems odd, as I could go directly to Heritage Auctions (an RM official distributor )and do this. but didn't want to go down international shipping options/complications route.