• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Knowledge assistance

Sc391

I have been buying modern coins from the RM for several years and it has peaked my interest in medieval era coins - maybe something a bit more affordable like groats and half groats.  Can anyone suggest a book or website to help me learn more about the subject?  I’m starting from the bottom as far as my knowledge base, so anything helps.  Thanks 

17 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I have been buying modern coins from the RM for several years and it has peaked my interest in medieval era coins - maybe something a bit more affordable like groats and half groats.  Can anyone suggest a book or website to help me learn more about the subject?  I’m starting from the bottom as far as my knowledge base, so anything helps.  Thanks 

buying coins from the RM - starting from the bottom?

The Spink Coins of England and the UK is worth getting, you don't even need to get the most recent edition.

11 hours ago, Gordy said:

@LawrenceChard this guy is as old as a Groat and probably minted the first one.... 😂

seriously though, wealth of knowledge and may be able to help you... 

Is that an insult or a compliment? 🙂

There are also lots of good, traditional numismatic dealers in the UK. Probably worth Sc391 visiting a coin fair.

The RM are expensive for "Historic Coins".

Avoid the "Coin Marketing Companies".

Chards

I’d recommend using the Spink book recently bought the latest version from @LawrenceChard recently ahaha I always buy the up to date version even though it’s just a guide the gold angels in very good condition tend to go over what it says in the book but for the lower end hammered coins it’s roughly more accurate. This is based on auction prices though 

1 hour ago, AdamDutton said:

I’d recommend using the Spink book recently bought the latest version from @LawrenceChard recently ahaha I always buy the up to date version even though it’s just a guide the gold angels in very good condition tend to go over what it says in the book but for the lower end hammered coins it’s roughly more accurate. This is based on auction prices though 

Agree with Adam

Original poster, I've a 2017 spink book so out of date prices but asking £12.50 delivered if just looking for a book to browse.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I’m just getting started so I’ll proceed slowly by reading up first.  Thinking of starting around Henry VII period and focusing on groats and half groats in the beginning.

Would I be best to try and work with a dealer in the UK and avoid eBay?  I’m not sure how active the counterfeit market is on these particular coins, but crooks always seem to find a way in.

19 hours ago, Sc391 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I’m just getting started so I’ll proceed slowly by reading up first.  Thinking of starting around Henry VII period and focusing on groats and half groats in the beginning.

Would I be best to try and work with a dealer in the UK and avoid eBay?  I’m not sure how active the counterfeit market is on these particular coins, but crooks always seem to find a way in.

Ebay is OK if you like Chinese fakes, although they are cheaper on AliExpress.

😎

Chards

4 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Definitely avoid eBay unless you are REALLY confident in what you are buying.  Caveat Emptor and all that.

Don't forget some people  are REALLY confident in what they are buying on ebay, even believing their fake silver bars are silver plated gold ones!

😎

Chards

For the OP: 

I have no affiliation to this business but I have met the owner on a couple of occasions and he has an absolutely encyclopaedic knowledge of UK predecimal coinage going all the way back to Alfred the Great and possibly even earlier.  He has some amazing coins in his personal collection and could probably source you any coins that you might have on your wishlist.

Rob Pearce at RP Coins.  Here's his Hammered Coins link, showing what he currently has for sale:

https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/collections/hammered

Mr. Chard suggested attending a coin fair in the UK.  Is there one in particular (and when is it) that would be the best to attend?  California is a ways away and I’d like to make the best use of my money and time.  Thx

There are are 3 main ones I think - in London, Birmingham (Midland Coin Fair) and... Wakefield?  York?  Somewhere in Yorkshire, anyway.

Here is a link to the dates for the London and Midland Coin Fairs.  I've been to the Midland one a few times in the past, but this was 2015-2017.  Highly recommended though, if you want to see loads of rare and interesting coins and the dealers are there to sell.  Best advice is to get there early, quite often some of the dealers have packed up and left at least an hour before the official closing time.

https://www.coinfairs.co.uk/

a real newbie question here. 

Found out that there is a local one to me this weekend but probably nowhere near the size of those two.  When you say dealers are there to sell, I presume you mean haggle?  is there a best approach?  ie offer 20% under the asking price and then work your way to an agreement or just ask whats the best price and say yeah nor nay.....?

24 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

There are are 3 main ones I think - in London, Birmingham (Midland Coin Fair) and... Wakefield?  York?  Somewhere in Yorkshire, anyway.

Here is a link to the dates for the London and Midland Coin Fairs.  I've been to the Midland one a few times in the past, but this was 2015-2017.  Highly recommended though, if you want to see loads of rare and interesting coins and the dealers are there to sell.  Best advice is to get there early, quite often some of the dealers have packed up and left at least an hour before the official closing time.

https://www.coinfairs.co.uk/

I'd say that they are definitely looking to sell (of course), and some of them will be prepared to haggle.  There is no harm in asking them what they could do the coin for, if you are going to buy it there and then.  

In my previous trips there some years ago, some of the dealers wouldn't budge on the coins I was asking for, but others could be moved downwards by 10-25% depending on the coin and probably the time of day.  Obviously it also helps if you want to buy multiple coins from the same dealer.