• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My first buy I but..

Mario007

500 x €0.90 / gram would only be €450, so try €1.10 / gram, about €0.30/gram over spot, I think that's closer to what you have paid.

That significant premium for dealers is about the norm IMO, always assuming there's no VAT to insult you further.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

I am finding 100g silver bars between 102 and 150 Euro, with a median at 106. So I'd say you're okay with 110. Banks are always a bit more expensive than other dealers, but they are great for a first buy if it builds up trust in yourself.

Any chance of a few pictures of your newly acquired bars? 🤗

15 minutes ago, Coverte said:

500 x €0.90 / gram would only be €450, so try €1.10 / gram, about €0.30/gram over spot, I think that's closer to what you have paid.

That significant premium for dealers is about the norm IMO, always assuming there's no VAT to insult you further.

They price I paid is with vat included

5 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

I am finding 100g silver bars between 102 and 150 Euro, with a median at 106. So I'd say you're okay with 110. Banks are always a bit more expensive than other dealers, but they are great for a first buy if it builds up trust in yourself.

Any chance of a few pictures of your newly acquired bars? 🤗

I don't have them yet, once the bank call I will post some pictures

I find 100g bars to be a bit odd. Everyone always asks, “Oh you bought some silver did you? How many ounces did you buy?!?!”

And of course the answer is… More than 3, but less than 4, but closer to 3.

I much prefer a 5 ounce bar if you are looking for something larger than a one ounce coin.

Nevertheless, silver is silver by any size coin or bar.

The real question here, are you satisfied with your first purchase of silver? Do you like it?

@Mario007 Ah yes, the dreaded shipping costs. I like to buy locally myself, but if I have to get something shipped, I calculate the shipping cost into that of the silver itself. Maybe have a log book of what you paid for each piece of silver (shipping included). This way if you ever reach a point to sell and it’s out of desire to sell and not necessity, then you know a target price for each piece so you can recoup the money spent.

Edited by Junior

1 minute ago, Junior said:

@SilverJacks 100g bars are certainly unique. They have a good weight to them and are very popular to sell. I was merely stating opinion when I said I found them odd. I like a 5 ounce bar because it fits my giant hand better than a 100g bar. I’ve got a few of these babies at home…

40742CEC-CB7D-4ED1-AA6F-6D6F84758B21.jpeg

I wouldn't argue with that mate. Looks awesome in picture, so I'm sure it looks better in hand

100g although it is metric is also a little odd I guess

23 hours ago, Mario007 said:

I just bought 500 gr 5 x 100 g bars from my local bank I paid 550 euro i don't know if is a good price it work out something like 0.90 per gram. 

21 hours ago, Mario007 said:

My main issue is the shipping cost, here only 100g or 1kg bars

When I read your first post, I was puzzled about the 0.90 per gram, and thinking that you needed a calculator, or a maths course, and it was not until a few posts later that I realised you were talking about silver (I hope) rather than gold, now I guess that your 0.90 was the VAT exclusive price, but of course I may be wrong.

When you say "here", I guess it's somewhere in Italy, based on the name Mario, but again I might be wrong.

One suggestion is to ask the bank or dealer what the premium is, although most bank staff probably wouldn't know!, but there are many websites where you should be able to check for comparison or comparable prices. 

Having a vested interest, I looked on the site of a local dealer with a familiar name 😎, and found https://www.chards.co.uk/100-gram-silver-bars-pre-owned/3559. You can select your currency, and in euros they was €94.42 (Special Scheme Inc. VAT), but the bad news (possibly good in your case) was that they were sold out. Shipping to you might also have been relatively expensive.

There are live spot prices on the site, for example https://www.chards.co.uk/silver-price/silver-spot-price, and you can select your currency and your weight units, troy ounces, grams, or kilos. Many other sites also have similar precious metal prices.

Larger bars usually have lower premiums than smaller bars, but my usual and main precious metal investment advice is to buy gold, because investment gold is exempt from VAT in the UK and EU. I state this at the risk of being shouted down by silver lovers.

Chards

20 hours ago, Junior said:

@SilverJacks 100g bars are certainly unique. They have a good weight to them and are very popular to sell. I was merely stating opinion when I said I found them odd. I like a 5 ounce bar because it fits my giant hand better than a 100g bar. I’ve got a few of these babies at home…

They can't be unique, because he's getting 5 of them!

(Just me being facetiously pedantic). 😎

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

When I read your first post, I was puzzled about the 0.90 per gram, and thinking that you needed a calculator, or a maths course, and it was not until a few posts later that I realised you were talking about silver (I hope) rather than gold, now I guess that your 0.90 was the VAT exclusive price, but of course I may be wrong.

When you say "here", I guess it's somewhere in Italy, based on the name Mario, but again I might be wrong.

One suggestion is to ask the bank or dealer what the premium is, although most bank staff probably wouldn't know!, but there are many websites where you should be able to check for comparison or comparable prices. 

Having a vested interest, I looked on the site of a local dealer with a familiar name 😎, and found https://www.chards.co.uk/100-gram-silver-bars-pre-owned/3559. You can select your currency, and in euros they was €94.42 (Special Scheme Inc. VAT), but the bad news (possibly good in your case) was that they were sold out. Shipping to you might also have been relatively expensive.

There are live spot prices on the site, for example https://www.chards.co.uk/silver-price/silver-spot-price, and you can select your currency and your weight units, troy ounces, grams, or kilos. Many other sites also have similar precious metal prices.

Larger bars usually have lower premiums than smaller bars, but my usual and main precious metal investment advice is to buy gold, because investment gold is exempt from VAT in the UK and EU. I state this at the risk of being shouted down by silver lovers.

Yes the price was with vat.

So 550 -18% = 451

451 ÷ 500= 0.902 per gram 

If I'm not mistaken

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

They can't be unique, because he's getting 5 of them!

(Just me being facetiously pedantic). 😎

LOL

I suppose unique is a relative term depending on what and where you’re buying from. But in terms of most dealers buying, selling, and pricing by the ounce, then a 3.21543408 ounce (100g) bar and by extension a kilo bar are certainly “unique” relatively speaking.

10 minutes ago, Junior said:

LOL

I suppose unique is a relative term depending on what and where you’re buying from. But in terms of most dealers buying, selling, and pricing by the ounce, then a 3.21543408 ounce (100g) bar and by extension a kilo bar are certainly “unique” relatively speaking.

No, unique is absolute:

Definition of 'unique'

unique
1. ADJECTIVE
Something that is unique is the only one of its kind.
Each person's signature is unique. 
The area has its own unique language, Catalan

Usage

There is a set of adjectives—including unique, complete, equal, infinite, and perfect—whose core meaning embraces a mathematically absolute concept and which therefore, according to a traditional argument, cannot be modified by adverbs such as really, quite, or very. For example, since the core meaning of unique (from Latin ‘one’) is ‘being only one of its kind’, it is logically impossible, the argument goes, to submodify it: it either is ‘unique’ or it is not, and there are no in-between stages.

But most people seem to use it incorrectly, so you are not unique. 😎

Perth Mint's One Tonne gold nugget is unique, though.

Chards

On 13/11/2021 at 17:16, LawrenceChard said:

Larger bars usually have lower premiums than smaller bars, but my usual and main precious metal investment advice is to buy gold, because investmen

16371523311488118148846719164414.jpg