• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My silver Panda collection!

arphethean

20 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

... For me a strange reason because it makes this coin more unique, so I would think it would be more collectable but now I know why. 

Even though Pandas are suitable as collectibles (very well so) they are basically a national bullion coin, used for stacking and investing. For that purpose a purity and weight stamp are essential.

28 minutes ago, KevinFlynn said:

Even though Pandas are suitable as collectibles (very well so) they are basically a national bullion coin, used for stacking and investing. For that purpose a purity and weight stamp are essential.

I suppose you could say the same about a Sovereign.

Being in circulation probably negates that though.

2 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I suppose you could say the same about a Sovereign.

Being in circulation probably negates that though.

Fair enough. It is all about trust. Sovereigns have a long history and a probably intuitive value attached. Modern bullion coins are more of an 'artificial' construct. If that makes sense 😁

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Centauri167 said:

This one looks just great, certainly for such an older coin. If you compare it against the older Kooks, this one wins big time.

Is it just the normal BU coin or a special edition ?

I think pandas, unlike most bullion coins, have generally been treated as "special edition" and looked after for the most part. Their mintages being smaller meant they were not "stacked" and stuffed into tubes like generic britannias/maples etc. I have always felt that pandas in general were and are of a higher quality than other bullion in their design, strike and presentation than bullion offerings from every other country except probably Perth mint (personal opinion).

Hence yes, while this is the standard BU version, they are IMO special!

There is a proof version of the 1998 but it is colourised

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?ChineseSetID=278

And don't get me thinking about starting a proof collection!!

6 hours ago, arphethean said:

I think pandas, unlike most bullion coins, have generally been treated as "special edition" and looked after for the most part. Their mintages being smaller meant they were not "stacked" and stuffed into tubes like generic britannias/maples etc. I have always felt that pandas in general were and are of a higher quality than other bullion in their design, strike and presentation than bullion offerings from every other country except probably Perth mint (personal opinion).

Hence yes, while this is the standard BU version, they are IMO special!

There is a proof version of the 1998 but it is colourised

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/chinese-coin-prices-detail.aspx?ChineseSetID=278

And don't get me thinking about starting a proof collection!!

So what means the LD ? That's why I was wondering that it was a special edition or just a BU coin.

By the way, I am also a big Panda coin fan, started in 2013 but I would not mind getting some older years.

1 hour ago, Centauri167 said:

So what means the LD ? That's why I was wondering that it was a special edition or just a BU coin.

By the way, I am also a big Panda coin fan, started in 2013 but I would not mind getting some older years.

LD stands for "Large Date".

The coin on the right is the small date version from the Shanghai and the one on the left is the large date that arrived today from the Shenyang mint. Each mint had its own dies with slight differences between them. You can see the main difference in the typeface of the date. 

4 hours ago, arphethean said:

LD stands for "Large Date".

The coin on the right is the small date version from the Shanghai and the one on the left is the large date that arrived today from the Shenyang mint. Each mint had its own dies with slight differences between them. You can see the main difference in the typeface of the date. 

Thx for the info ! 😀

• 1 year later...

The 2000 panda today is selling for £330 each. Great you have so many of them Sir. I have got to a 20 year date run this year ie 2005 to 2024, when it comes out. I wish I had started 10 years ago, so much to learn about them, this TSF thread is fantastic for me. ta

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Boruta said:

What a fantastic collection @arphethean 🤩. I have been just inspired to start my own collection 🥰 

On 01/11/2023 at 11:25, DavidE said:

This is a stunning collection and although I have researched Panda's quite a lot, I didn't realise all of the variations between mints and finishes. 

On 25/10/2023 at 16:19, Cogload said:

I. Didn't. Know. There. Were. So. Many. Pandas. Of. All. Types. 

My. Poor. Wallet. May. Disappear. Down. The. Bamboo. Shoot. 

Help. 

On 19/10/2023 at 07:01, silvergaga said:

Glad to have you on board the TSF silver train.

On 18/10/2023 at 22:25, Pm1987 said:

Long time lurker on here but eventually joined earlier today just to thank you guys for such an interesting read. 

Nice comments - thank you

I have a couple more en route to extend my collection to the pre-89 proofs which is mega exciting!

This thread could use better photos I think. Will do that when I have time

• 2 weeks later...

I received these three fabulous coins recently. Coins I have been keeping an eye out for many months to complete my 1oz silver panda collection.

20231117_083457.thumb.jpg.3c3181ce6fa69edc395a8e24ff4c0c2f.jpg

20231117_083513.thumb.jpg.dc3624b25b072a3d23ae60d71fb3811f.jpg

Before 1989 there were only proof pandas issued and in relatively small numbers. 1987 was a full ounce of .999 silver but 1985 is only 27g of. 900 silver.

The 1999 is the scarce "large date serif 1" variety from the Shenzhen Guobao mint, and finally joins the 1999 trio to complete this year.

20231117_083525.thumb.jpg.2f668ef7838600294a660a3e0e535c90.jpg

I now have every year and type of "1oz" (including 27g and 30g) silver panda except the 1983, 1989 mirror fields and the exceptionally elusive 2001 "small D".

Maybe I should do an updated photo shoot? 

On 17/11/2023 at 10:44, Agaupl said:

Picked up a 2015 today. How do you find these grade? Or do you buy pregraded? 

Generally from about 2007 onwards an MS69 or MS70 is normal. Before then even a good coin will rarely hit a 70 and in some years no coin has ever achieved a 70. Most good ones will get MS69 and some will get MS68. In my experience. 

I have only bought 1984, 85 and 87 graded. Everything else raw. Cherry picked good raws before 2001 were sent off for grading and 85% got MS69 and the rest MS68.