• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shocking Opportunists on eBay

Clearing a box of rubbish, I came across a coin and guessed it was a commemorative crown probably worth its weight in scrap metal only.

Quick Google search and low and behold opportunists on eBay.
This cupronickel coin - rare ??? - that sells for under £2 elsehere is listed by 2 sellers - the screen shots are self-explanatory.
Always do some research.

1165009785_Screenshot2021-10-13at12_45_42.thumb.png.37ed629081e17cd4e4e4e0c9e1ee64dc.png

1869059622_Screenshot2021-10-13at12_35_16.thumb.png.3943dffd00d155d34980a7e8097b1bab.png

It's shocking but buyer beware.. one guy used to post fake coins on and describe them as fake so he could warn others what to look for in his description, very good idea and he must have had a real beef with it but it was useful for the uninitiated

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Everyday 50ps are the worst. Hundreds of "" rare"" coins for sale at £1000 +  ... with free listing anyone can list cheap items , and hope one person comes along and buys it. It's a 1000/1 shot but it costs nothing. 

Edited by pricha
Spelling

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Clearing a box of rubbish, I came across a coin and guessed it was a commemorative crown probably worth its weight in scrap metal only.

Quick Google search and low and behold opportunists on eBay.
This cupronickel coin - rare ??? - that sells for under £2 elsehere is listed by 2 sellers - the screen shots are self-explanatory.
Always do some research.

1165009785_Screenshot2021-10-13at12_45_42.thumb.png.37ed629081e17cd4e4e4e0c9e1ee64dc.png

1869059622_Screenshot2021-10-13at12_35_16.thumb.png.3943dffd00d155d34980a7e8097b1bab.png

5 hours ago, Gordy said:

It's shocking but buyer beware.. one guy used to post fake coins on and describe them as fake so he could warn others what to look for in his description, very good idea and he must have had a real beef with it but it was useful for the uninitiated

5 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

You get it with everything on ebay - not just coins. Always going to be someone out there trying to fleece people and get more than something is worth. Buyer beware and all that.

5 hours ago, pricha said:

Everyday 50ps are the worst. Hundreds of "" rare"" coins for sale at £1000 +  ... with free listing anyone can list cheap items , and hope one person comes along and buys it. It's a 1000/1 shot but it costs nothing. 

5 hours ago, pricha said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293218939866?hash=item444535f3da:g:aRsAAOSw409ddUIg

What makes me laugh is the 262 people who are watching this £5 million coin to see if it sells 😆

Nothing on ebay surprised me any more.

It would be a full time job for someone to find and comment on all the sh*t listings.

The aptly named B.I.N. ones (Buy It Now), only cost about 10p per month to list, with a bigger fee if it ever sells, which simply encourages sellers to list stuff at ridiculously over-inflated prices.

Most of the contain the word "rare", and other hype.

As for the £5 Million coin:

203750668_ebay5millionpoundcoin50PenceCoin-BeatrixPotterMrJeremyFisher-Circulated2017.Genuine..thumb.jpg.8f152d7a7cd3c806fab9bcd7d05ca082.jpg

It is quite illuminating the the four other items shown as "People who viewed this item also viewed" are:

Extremely Rare Fifty Pence 1997 Coin
£6,350.00
Free P&P

RARE 2017 50p FIFTY PENCE COIN BEATRIX POTTER MR JEREMY FISHER FROG
£40.00
Free P&P

**Rarest 50p Coin** PADDINGTON BEAR Tower of London COLLECTORS ITEM, CIRCULATED
£18,000.00
Free P&P

Rare 50p Coin - PADDINGTON BEAR @ Tower of London  - COLLECTABLE 
£15,000.00
Free P&P

They all seem to have one thing in common, so called "Free P&P"

The one at only £40 almost sounds like a bargain!, which may possibly induce some clod into buying it! 

Next thing we know, The Daily Dogpile will be running a feature about "The 50 pence coins selling on ebat for £5 million", providing ebay with another £10K worth of free advertising. Does the print media care about misleading its readers? No, of course not because it helps to sell papers. 

In fact, I checked:

1658844498_GoogleSearch5millionpoundcoinonebay.thumb.jpg.e742221ac3065bcba66fc0bc4e4ba3fd.jpg

About 8060 results!

Now, I am temporarily lost for words, so I am just sitting here shaking my head. 😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The aptly named B.I.N. ones (Buy It Now), only cost about 10p per month to list, with a bigger fee if it ever sells, which simply encourages sellers to list stuff at ridiculously over-inflated prices.

For personal sellers, it doesn't cost anything to list items with a Buy It Now price (unless you list hundreds of items). It's been that way for several years now, which probably only exacerbates the number of crazy opportunistic listings.

8 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

For personal sellers, it doesn't cost anything to list items with a Buy It Now price (unless you list hundreds of items). It's been that way for several years now, which probably only exacerbates the number of crazy opportunistic listings.

Thanks for that input, I don't even attempt to track ebay's charges, which seem to change every 10 minutes.

Chards

Dishonest, misleading, fraudulent sellers:

The sellers asking laughably high prices for "extremely rare" c**p are bad enough, but ebay is stuffed full of vendors with cunningly crafted titles and descriptions like this one, which was featured on the £5 Million coin listing:

444854002_ebayISURVIVED2020.999SilverCommemorative.GiftPresentNoveltyCoinLockdown.thumb.jpg.665bae7e5b55adfc0ebac6346fcf534c.jpg

'I SURVIVED 2020' .999 Silver Commemorative. Gift/Present/Novelty/Coin Lockdown

'I Survived 2020' Commemorative

Our brand new silver collectable - a perfect memento of a year that we would all rather forget. 

Sound cheap for real, genuine 999 fine silver, doesn't it? It must be true, it says it in the title and in the description.

But, wait a minute, the next line reads:

Finished in .999 Silver

Phineas T. Barnum would have been proud of this "small print" get-out-of-jail-free card.

Whi is this seller?:

Business seller information

THE COMMEMORATIVE COIN COMPANY LTD
Mark Walker
4/3 Grove Street
Edinburgh
Edinburgh (City of)
EH3 8BB
United Kingdom

VAT number:
GB 294543573

I am well aware of defamation law, but my comments are all valid, and in the public interest. If Mark Walker or THE COMMEMORATIVE CON COMPANY LTD wanted to sue me for defamation, I am sure they can find me.
I also noticed that 8 out of the 10 sponsored items were from the same dodgy dealer:
391771163_ebaysimilaritems.thumb.jpg.3258be6c43904d9604679e01e8fec589.jpg
Including:
'I SURVIVED 2020' 24ct Gold Commemorative. Gift/Present/Lockdown Memento Coin

'I Survived 2020' Commemorative

Our brand new silver (sic) collectable

He sounds like he has confused himself!

"This proof quality commemorative weighs 8g and has a diameter of 27mm."

That has to be the bargain of the year!

...except that his ebay "shop" has 1479 items listed of which 406 are "24ct Gold"

Chards