• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Red v Yellow Colour Gold Sovereigns - Silver v Copper Alloy Content

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, I have been intending to go.

Jane also wants to visit New Zealand, but during the ski season.

I said we could visit Perth while nearby (!) in NZ, or vice versa. 

I am aware that nearness is relative.

😎

The Qantas flight from London goes non-stop to Perth...just saying.😀

Then another 5 hours to Sydney or Meld, then another 4 to Wellington - NZ, then another 1 hour to Queenstown. Hellva trip for flying time but worth it.  Queenstown in winter is lovely...just like Geneva in winter they say but better...no Swiss around.

Note: Don't expect to get in WA anytime soon. ie 2022.

Couldn't resist another comparison photo. This time its the sovereign 200 years apart. The G&D, with sword in hand, first appeared in the reign of George IV, 1821 looking matt & golden (Lovely) Look at it today! 

Early Australia sovs. up until 1870 were more yellow than the RMs because they contained naturally occurring  silver in the alloy. However it was important to harden the coins with some copper, after which a nice balance of silver and copper was used. To achieve this meant using the new Miller gas chlorine process to remove some of the silver. I digress. 

Can also recommend a visit to the Perth mint. Watch a 'gold pour' and pick up a replica of the 'Welcome Stranger' nugget 1869 in the miners camp. Also a great shop.

IMG_2355 (3).JPG

I much prefer the gold colour.. but if the RM had used the copper colour one for say 5 years it would have been a collectors thing.?   

or maybe that was the plan and they expected Liz to pop het clogs a lot earlier. then switch back to gold for Charles ....   

On 13/01/2022 at 21:10, Oddjob said:

The Qantas flight from London goes non-stop to Perth...just saying.😀

Then another 5 hours to Sydney or Meld, then another 4 to Wellington - NZ, then another 1 hour to Queenstown. Hellva trip for flying time but worth it.  Queenstown in winter is lovely...just like Geneva in winter they say but better...no Swiss around.

Note: Don't expect to get in WA anytime soon. ie 2022.

@LawrenceChard If you do decide to go, a “Round the World” ticket and approach is the best if you don’t have any time restrictions.  The last time I did this, I went to LA (then drive to various national parks) before heading to the Cook Islands (very very interesting, but no mint!) then to NZ and Australia.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

@LawrenceChard If you do decide to go, a “Round the World” ticket and approach is the best if you don’t have any time restrictions.  The last time I did this, I went to LA (then drive to various national parks) before heading to the Cook Islands (very very interesting, but no mint!) then to NZ and Australia.  

Best

Dicker

Thanks for the advice, that's what we would hope to do.

Chards