• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Holiday in America

Slam

Hi all,

Hope you are all well.

So my friend is going on holiday to Texas in the US soon, is there any point of me asking her to bring back a couple of tubes of Britannia's or other silver coins? 

Will she get into trouble at airport or will have to pay tax once arrived in UK?

Obviously the reason I ask is to get cheaper silver compared to UK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks 

She will have to pay the tax and declare it and pay the duty. 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

She will have to pay the tax and declare it and pay the duty. 

Thanks, so it's just better to not bother I take it?

also if she was to send via parcel she will have to declare and pay taxes too I imagine?

1 minute ago, Slam said:

Thanks, so it's just better to not bother I take it?

also if she was to send via parcel she will have to declare and pay taxes too I imagine?

Not legal advice but depends if customs clock it but with a parcel, you pay tax on the parcel coming into uk and the goods. If they dont clock it then you are good.

But they will hold it until the duty is paid, if they do clock it. its basically that simple. If you want to declare the duty after youve recied the parcel without them clocking it, its up to you!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Not legal advice but depends if customs clock it but with a parcel, you pay tax on the parcel coming into uk and the goods. If they dont clock it then you are good.

But they will hold it until the duty is paid, if they do clock it. its basically that simple. If you want to declare the duty after youve recied the parcel without them clocking it, its up to you!

That would be the same thing as going to security at airport right, for example she puts silver coins in her hand luggage. Goes through security x-ray etc.

If they don't catch, then you go on your way.

Either way is that classed as smuggling?

Or is that classed as your currency as I'm sure i've taken £1 coins through barrier before? 

6 minutes ago, Slam said:

That would be the same thing as going to security at airport right, for example she puts silver coins in her hand luggage. Goes through security x-ray etc.

If they don't catch, then you go on your way.

Either way is that classed as smuggling?

Or is that classed as your currency as I'm sure i've taken £1 coins through barrier before? 

I think if she was shoving gold coins and lots of it on her person and some people stick it thier bottoms. But I would say If she just puts the in her luggage and if challenged declares it I dont think that smugling. Smuggling is based a scenario on intelliegnce and normally done by tracked criminals. people do tale coins to and from places. If it very regualar and lots of it, that could classed as  Smuggling, otherwise I dont thinks customs would be concered but as long as you pay your way means of duty.

Edited by HerefordBullyun

10 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I think if she was shoving gold coins and lots of it on her person and some people stick it thier bottoms. But I would say If she just puts the in her luggage and if challenged declares it I dont think that smugling. Smuggling is based a scenario on intelliegnce and normally done by tracked criminals. people do tale coins to and from places. If it very regualar and lots of it, that could classed as  Smuggling, otherwise I dont thinks customs would be concered but as long as you pay your way means of duty.

haha, yeah thanks, was just thinking and deciding if 50oz is worth the hassle or not.

4 minutes ago, Slam said:

haha, yeah thanks, was just thinking and deciding if 50oz is worth the hassle or not.

I wouldnt say 50 oz is excessive mate.... If she had suitcase of 100oz bars then definately

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Definitely not if it's all going in your prison pocket! 😂

lol haha.

I assume duty charge is on top of the VAT 20% too I guess so prob not worth the hassle me thinks. 

Neil Mcoy ward who I in follow on Social media has bought a couple tubes back with him on holiday or from hishouse  in US has mentioned it on his you tube channel. But i doubt he does it every time.

Morgan’s in the US are good value as compared to the U.K.

Would make sense to pre-buy and have your friend bring them back.

I have declared previously but was waved through - I think it depends on what customs are focussing in on that day. Luck of the draw.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Very simple really and I have done this myself.

Check the current personal allowance for not having to declare goods purchased overseas. If travelling with a companion use their allowance on top. Get an invoice for your silver and maybe that is within your allowance.

Pass through customs and if stopped you can show your silver with a supporting invoice. If you are over the allowance then customs can charge VAT at 20% on the excess. There is no duty to add.

If you are significantly over your allowance you need to go through the red channel because if you don’t then you are in breech of the law and could be subjected to penalties.

Best advice is only bring back the value of your allowance(s).

Do you know the allowances @Pete

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Very simple really and I have done this myself.

Check the current personal allowance for not having to declare goods purchased overseas. If travelling with a companion use their allowance on top. Get an invoice for your silver and maybe that is within your allowance.

Pass through customs and if stopped you can show your silver with a supporting invoice. If you are over the allowance then customs can charge VAT at 20% on the excess. There is no duty to add.

If you are significantly over your allowance you need to go through the red channel because if you don’t then you are in breech of the law and could be subjected to penalties.

Best advice is only bring back the value of your allowance(s).

10 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

1240128727_Screenshot_20211003-1135482.thumb.png.ac6ee5052a247c5409ced7d3cffaabc4.png

I reckon I could shove about 20lb up mine metaphorically speaking the amount of times Ive been shafted in my lifetime!

2 hours ago, Slam said:

You could probably get 50oz's of Brits on here cheaper than the US... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, Gordy said:

You could probably get 50oz's of Brits on here cheaper than the US... 

correct theres some bargains to be here on the TSF. And youd see them quicker if you were a member @Slam

4 minutes ago, TommyTwoShots said:

Sharpes Pixley are selling cheap brits 

Vat but no vat on tsf