• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I bought.....

Probably the end of my January gold rush: a gold sovereign 4 coin proof set, 2008. £5 coin, double sovereign, full sovereign and a half sovereign. £1760 delivered with case and COA. Not an expert, but with a mintage of only 1750 I think that's a reasonable buy. Still significantly over gold bullion price but I think with the collectible aspect should hold its value, or maybe appreciate. Thoughts guys? Was this a reasonable buy? I only really set out to get a double sovereign after Kman rates them so highly! But I am looking forward to seeing the £5 pound coin in comparison to a single sovereign. Should get them tomorrow.

At the risk of sounding terribly pedantic, how can you say that these coins won't be part of your stack?

That doesn't make sense. If you buy a silver or gold coin it automatically by default becomes part of your stack, does it not?

Not really. To me a collection is something you keep, and possibly hand it down to your kids and grandkids etc. It's something that you find difficult to "let go", so to speak. With a stack you have items that you wouldn't blink an eye when it comes to selling them. My "stack" is my pension policy, it's what I intend to live on in my old age. I don't see the point of filling it up with nice collectible coins that it would be a wrench to sell. It's why I want to separate my "collection" from my "stack". It's also why my collection is going to be fairly small in money wise, it will be added to ONLY at a price that falls into a range that i think is cheap, and if it takes me 15 years to complete, then so be it. I'm also looking at picking up bullion proofs, Brit's ASE's etc, as well as the RAM Roo's. Again ONLY if I can pick them up at silly prices, which may appear once every 3 months or so. These will be what I hand on when i shuffle this mortal coil. My stack will be spent in the sun drinking cold beers

Edited by Highland Tiger

At the risk of sounding terribly pedantic, how can you say that these coins won't be part of your stack?

That doesn't make sense. If you buy a silver or gold coin it automatically by default becomes part of your stack, does it not?

Obviously if you take the literal meaning, but for me my "stack" and my "collection" are very different:

STACK:

- contains bullion coins, with mínimum price

- I add coins in lots of 100s ozs

- its target is in the low thousands of ozs

- it is stored hidden in non accessible location

- and the most important: it is payed with family money as investment

COLLECTION:

- it contains premium coins, from series, with average price twice spot

- I add coins one by one, or just 2 or 3 each time

- its target is in the low hundreds of ozs

- its stored in beautiful wodden display boxes

- and the most important: it is payed with my personal money as enjoyment

Honestly, many of the "stacks" I ve seen in these threads are, under my point if view, "collections", but it's just another opinion.

I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, I stack, I collect, 

What does it matter really, You are doing the right thing with your Fiat money.

That is TURNING IT INTO REAL MONEY.

Edited by Keithoil

I've apparently ended up doing both at once, since there's such a huge variety of coins available for around the same price you can have a nice collection which is also excellent value in £/oz terms.

Yes I would like to think that my silver hoard, ( I did not want to say Stack or Collection ) is a bit of both also.

A good selection of bullion and proofs etc with a good avg £/oz.

Edited by Keithoil

Just bought 10 ozs of silver from the USA Prospector rounds £14.36 landed.

I have also bought a mix of coins from Canada, including a New Zealand Goat (really nice looking coin), 3 Scottsdale reverse silver rounds, 2 2014 Hawksbill turtles, and a RMC silver round. These are £19 each landed.

Still want my Pamp 2015 goats!!!!!!

Just bought a 2012 full gold sovereign from Atkinsons.

This will be my first sovereign so not sure what to expect ....there goes my silver money..

whatever size you expect it to be in your mind, expect it smaller :(

931f329c231b81c5c93acc7acdba2176.jpg

Its gold thats the main thing

Today I bought a single 2014 silver eagle from ebay, a birthday gift for a friend who got married in the States last year. The ulterior motive being that if I like the look of it I'll buy some more for myself from STG (and also because I haven't bought anything for 3 weeks and was getting an itchy trigger finger).

Just bought a 2012 full gold sovereign from Atkinsons.

I think that was a great choice

I expect them to have a bit of a premium in the future over a normal sovereign (they already do a lot of places)

I don't find Sovereigns small, especially after you pop them in a ringed capsule, they seem much more sizable then. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I think that was a great choice

I expect them to have a bit of a premium in the future over a normal sovereign (they already do a lot of places)

I don't find Sovereigns small, especially after you pop them in a ringed capsule, they seem much more sizable then.

Thanks kman, I've just ordered some ringed capsules, so all I need now is to get a 1989,2002,& 2005 sovereign all for the same price to fill them........... I wish :)