• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Wedding Sixpence (Gold) 2021

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

False start?

Online I can only find reference to the 2021 silver sixpence.

Can you remember the mintage?

Yes I saw it isn't currently found on Google. But it is real. They did not specify the mintage. 

Yes I saw it too and was considering getting it for my parents’ anniversary.

According to customer service, there was an error on the page and the coin will be listed again.

I didn’t really see any details - so no idea what the error might be.

I think it may have been £315 but I’m not 100% sure as I just skimmed past it once.

Edited by westminstrel

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Yes I saw it too and was considering getting it for my parents’ anniversary.

According to customer service, there was an error on the page and the coin will be listed again.

I didn’t really see any details - so no idea what the error might be.

I think it may have been £315 but I’m not 100% sure as I just skimmed past it once.

Awesome! I might get one then after all. The price listed was exactly £300, which is actually not bad for this size proof gold coin. Maybe they will put the price up because gold seems to be rallying, we'll see. 

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Awesome! I might get one then after all. The price listed was exactly £300, which is actually not bad for this size proof gold coin. Maybe they will put the price up because gold seems to be rallying, we'll see. 

Damn! I shouldn’t have dithered - I should’ve just bit the bullet and purchased it when it was £300. 😐

16 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

I saw this on sale from the Royal Mint about a week ago, for £300. I was thinking of whether I should buy or not, so when I finally wanted to buy one now, it is gone from the RM website! :(

Did any of you manage to catch that sneaky gold sixpence? 

SIXPENCE GOLD COIN

1. (1) A new coin of gold of the denomination of sixpence shall be made, being a coin of a standard weight of 6.19 grammes, a standard diameter of 19.41 millimetres, a millesimal fineness of not less than 999, and being circular in shape.

(2) In the making of the said gold coin a remedy (that is, a variation from the standard weight or diameter specified above) shall be allowed of an amount not exceeding the following, that is to say:

(a) a variation from the said standard weight of an amount per coin of 0.05 grammes; and

(b) a variation from the said standard diameter 0.125 millimetres per coin.

(3) The least current weight of the said gold coin shall be 6.14 grammes.

(4) The variation from the standard weight will be measured as the average of a sample of not more than one kilogram of the coin.

(5) The design of the said gold coin shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · DEI · GRA · REGINA · FID · DEF” and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Cypher surrounded by a floral motif with the inscription “SIXPENCE” and the date of the year. The coin shall have a grained edge.’

SIXPENCE ROSE GOLD COIN

2. (1) A new coin of rose gold of the denomination of sixpence shall be made, being a coin of a standard weight of 5.59 grammes, a standard diameter of 19.41 millimetres, a millesimal fineness of not less than 916.7, and being circular in shape.

(2) In the making of the said rose gold coin a remedy (that is, a variation from the standard weight or diameter specified above) shall be allowed of an amount not exceeding the following, that is to say:

(a) a variation from the said standard weight of an amount per coin of 0.05 grammes; and

(b) a variation from the said standard diameter of 0.125 millimetres per coin.

(3) The least current weight of the said rose gold coin shall be 5.54 grammes.

(4) The variation from the standard weight will be measured as the average of a sample of not more than one kilogram of the coin.

(5) The design of the said rose gold coin shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · DEI · GRA · REGINA · FID · DEF” and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Cypher surrounded by a floral motif with the inscription “SIXPENCE” and the date of the year. The coin shall have a grained edge.’

3. This Proclamation shall come into force on the eleventh day of March Two thousand and twenty-one.

Given at Our Court at Windsor Castle, this tenth day of March in the year of Our Lord Two thousand and twenty-one and in the seventieth year of Our Reign.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN (Sponsored by the Sex Pistols?)

Chards

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I saw it and instantly ordered it, paid for it and got the confirmation email...

The next day i got an apology email stating that it is not available until August. 🙄

You may have got yourself a bargain there (if they didn't cancel your order). By August the price will likely be higher. 

I can understand a silver sixpence at Christmas (tradition), but I am struggling to see the relevance of a gold sixpence for a wedding.  Also, if it not release until August, the majority of this year's weddings will have already taken place!  It appears there are two versions of the coin (gold and rose gold), why?  Maybe one is for the wedding and one for the divorce!

I've just bought a 2021 sovereign to give as a wedding present (in a nice box), so I'm not sure why a gold sixpence is really needed.

3 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I can understand a silver sixpence at Christmas (tradition), but I am struggling to see the relevance of a gold sixpence for a wedding.  Also, if it not release until August, the majority of this year's weddings will have already taken place!  It appears there are two versions of the coin (gold and rose gold), why?  Maybe one is for the wedding and one for the divorce!

I've just bought a 2021 sovereign to give as a wedding present (in a nice box), so I'm not sure why a gold sixpence is really needed.

I concur that a gold sixpence does not really make sense since the traditional wedding sixpence is silver. It would be like creating a new sixpence tradition for the wealthier upper class that can afford the gold. JMO

When I saw the Gazette description back in March, I thought the gold version might even be a new bullion coin (999 gold). 

The rose gold would make more sense as a wedding gift imo.

Was the "false release" gold sixpence coin also in the wedding section, similarly elaborately presented as the sterling silver one?

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 6.28.23 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Yes, the gold sixpence was in the wedding section - i have been collecting the silver since they introduced them in 2016 (hoping they become a slow burn for collectors) and jumped on the gold one as a 'first' for the Mint.

Unfortunately no payment went out from my account. It sat as 'payment pending' for about a week and then disappeared. So no bargain for me if gold increases in value between now and August. Fingers crossed the price drops 😁

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Yes, the gold sixpence was in the wedding section - i have been collecting the silver since they introduced them in 2016 (hoping they become a slow burn for collectors) and jumped on the gold one as a 'first' for the Mint.

Unfortunately no payment went out from my account. It sat as 'payment pending' for about a week and then disappeared. So no bargain for me if gold increases in value between now and August. Fingers crossed the price drops 😁

That’s not cool! I wonder if your order didn’t go through because they mistakenly published the coin on the website.

5 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I think this gold coin would be geared towards collectors, rather than a wedding tradition. I hope there will be a fixed mintage, though 

The only detail I recall is that there was no mintage specified. So either it is unlimited mintage or that must’ve been the “error” and they still need to decide what the mintage will be.

I’m more curious about the two versions specified in the gazette above - the specs are different and also rather odd. 😐

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The rose gold Sixpence is now on sale again for £475. 😟

https://www.royalmint.com/gifts/by-occasion/wedding-gifts/gold-proof-six-pence/

Looks like unlimited mintage too.

For me it is now a case of “a penny saved is a penny earned”. 

Doesn't look as if they put much effort into this one - seems to be the same design as the 2021 silver sixpence.

Earlier this year I gave my nephew and his wife a brand new 2021 sovereign (which cost me £315 plus a box) as a wedding present, and I still think this was better value than the new coin.

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

Doesn't look as if they put much effort into this one - seems to be the same design as the 2021 silver sixpence.

Earlier this year I gave my nephew and his wife a brand new 2021 sovereign (which cost me £315 plus a box) as a wedding present, and I still think this was better value than the new coin.

Agreed! It’s just, as they describe it, a “luxurious twist” on the silver sixpence.

If it were limited mintage, I might’ve considered it. But at this price, and unlimited mintage, it’s a pass for me.

Have just checked my 'closed orders' on RM - when i ordered this originally (and RM cancelled the order) it was £315. Since then the price of gold has dropped yet it's now for sale at £475.... £210 worth of gold in a design that has been directly copied from the silver issue. Seems like a wee bit of a mark-up.

I think i'll wait 'til they put these in the 50% off sales

Well, another twist in the tale - Have just recieved the sixpence in the post. It looks as though the RM didn't cancel the order as i was originally told...

The invoice has the original price (£315) on it.

Now i don't know what to do - send it back and wait to see if these get put on sale at some point in the future (as they've done historically with the unsold silver issues) or keep it because it can be perceived as a 'bargain' compared with the new price of £475......

1 minute ago, TeaTime said:

Well, another twist in the tale - Have just recieved the sixpence in the post. It looks as though the RM didn't cancel the order as i was originally told...

The invoice has the original price (£315) on it.

Now i don't know what to do - send it back and wait to see if these get put on sale at some point in the future (as they've done historically with the unsold silver issues) or keep it because it can be perceived as a 'bargain' compared with the new price of £475......

Even if they do go on sale at some point in time, I doubt they would be as low as £315.  You look to have got a bargain!

I think that it is a great little coin for £315. I never saw it at that price. How long was it at £315?

When was it released and why such a big increase in price since? Do you think that they made a mistake with the issue price?