• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fractional Gold what to buy 1/10 or 1/4oz

4Nines7Hills

I know many of you on here will say buy soveigns ...but if wanted different coins and 1oz is too rich for your tastes what would you go for considering .

Buying premium, potential selling premium, size can you see the design properly on a coin 1/10 size

Maples are quite nice in 1/10 and 1/4 ounce. I have a few 1/10 and a single 2009 1/4 and would look to buy more if the premium was right. I don't think they have any higher potential premium than other bullion coins and would expect bullion value if I sold mine. Size wise there is not much difference between the 1/10 and 1/4 ounce (16mm / 20mm) for looking at them, but the 1/4 is much thicker and nicer to hold (in a capsule!). 

For 1/10 ounce, Australian lunar series are a little bit bigger in size (18.6mm) than other 1/10 bullion and for the same cost if you buy the monkey. I like the finish on these coins.

I have a 1/4 ounce kangaroo 2015 which is just too small for the design in my opinion unlike the maple but some may disagree. Wish I had waited and gone for the half. 

Have you considered half ounces? I have some Australian lunar series in 1/2 ounce which is a much better size to show off the design without paying for a full ounce. They are almost as big as a 1 oz maple in diameter which to me is a decent size. 

Usually when I go looking for fractional coins I end up buying sovs and halves though to be honest. They are difficult to beat for lots of reasons :)

Hhhmmm wasn't going to buy my first gold until later in the year but combine silver to go order with a sneaking gold purchase... And there is a good gold selection  of tje 1/4oz at coininvest

I think 1/4oz is an ideal size generally though both the 3g and 8g pandas are nice to look at and should appreciate in terms of premium over spot.

Any gold is good at the right price and watching HGM is not a bad idea.

A high premium low mintage buy is the Mexican Libertad but Lunar gold is more easily available in the UK.

@Numistacker what about libertads?   

If you like all different coins then you are in luck Mexico, Chile coins are nice, Most older European coins,  sovs, French Napoleon Austrian Ducats etc 

If you are buying for investment then billion coins that can be recognised by all dealers easily are best so sovs krugs maples Brits eagles etc. 

3 minutes ago, Pipers said:

@Numistacker what about libertads?   

If you like all different coins then you are in luck Mexico, Chile coins are nice, Most older European coins,  sovs, French Napoleon Austrian Ducats etc 

If you are buying for investment then billion coins that can be recognised by all dealers easily are best so sovs krugs maples Brits eagles etc. 

I mentioned LIBERTADS but they are fairly inaccessible at issue. Not really pure bullion die to low mintages 

thanks for your input guys , think I know what I'm going to do regarding adding a little gold to my silver stack now

I like 1/10/3 grams or 1/4/8 grams as well The 1/10ths are usually pretty easily sold and the 1/4 is on the upper limit on what people will choose to ship over mail. higher than that, i'd rather sell to a dealer closer to spot. A note on the pandas the 1/2 in the past has had the best performance but you have to hold for awhile.

I like the idea Fractionals in general because you can usually recoupe the premium and they can appreciate without a lot of resistance from buyers. Most people worth selling to has a buying range of bewteen $50 USD - $350 USD to make shipping and time worth while. Higher you go the smaller the group of buyers that will pay a premium, if you have a mix of semi-numi 1/2s'-1oz to bullion you can just liquidate the bullion at a dealer first while the higher premium stuff sits. The lower price of the smaller fractionals is a little more forgiving. In the US, 1/10 bullion is ~$124 once you add a premium buyers are comfortable going up to $155 for modern semi-numis or 155-225 for older semi-numi's without much resistance. When you move to 1/4 and bullion value is base $310 and add premium $400 There's resistance at around $450 and it tends to sit longer unless its a more popular coin.

So for me in the states I've concentrated on 1/10 or 3 grams with a few 1/4's because it has a wide audience to sell to and is fairly liquid. The closer you can get to spot for 1/4's the more of a buyer I am for those.

The 1/4 definitely has better presence and I'm not necessarily talking about flipping. When I get my coins graded, I keep the best examples and move the worst ones so I can get more of the better examples. I would love to collect 1/4's but they are just too expensive for what I collect. I paid $975 for 1/4 2002 Panda, which goes for over $1050 on ebay but with an avg cost of $400 per I'm moving slower on the 1/4's. With the price I've been paying to get certain 1/10 panda's I could get a lot of 1/4's but they are rare-r. 

Mainly its because my wallet and wife will beat me unless I can prove I can cash out as necessary. 

I had a few 1/10's.........soon to be departed, they are just too small. 1/4 is a nice size. The Sov, half Sov, and 20 franc coins are all nicer to hold than a 1/10.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

I have some 1/10 oz and some 1/4 oz coins, just the usual bullion suspects nothing fancy.  My way of thinking is if the grip on gold price manipulation is ever loosened and it does shoot up massively in price then 1/10 or 1/20th oz coins bight be all your typical Ebay punter can afford.

Archived