• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First time silver buyer

SilverMagic

I am interested in buying some silver CGT free coins. I bought a few gold sovereigns last week from Bullion by Post but see the same sovereigns are cheaper from Chards. I don't want to make the same mistake when buying silver coins. On Bullion by Post I can buy a 1oz Silver Britannia Best Value Coin for £32.52 with VAT included & free postage - 50 would cost £1554 with VAT & postage included. On Chards site they are £1439 with all included but they are not in stock & I don't know how long I would have to wait. Would it be wise to proceed? They also have Secondary Market coins at £1170.50 for 50. It says the fineness may vary? Which of these 3 options would be most advisable? (The sovereigns I bought last week have King George V head on them I think so I presume they would be classed as secondary market too?) Does it matter & why is there such a difference in price between the 2 companies? Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you want to buy silver coins then try asking fellow forum members as I am sure you will get a better deal and possibly more information w.r.t. coin condition etc BEFORE parting with your cash.
Many of us cut our teeth buying from certain dealers and kind of wishing we hadn't when we compare prices from sellers we never heard of but that's how it goes.
Go to the UK Buy & Sell section and create a "Wanted"
It helps enormously if you state which coin(s), quantity and price prepared to pay.
I could probably meet your request from my stack but dislike being asked to quote a price as it means I have to do all the research.
As for CGT coins you need to be looking at a huge quantity before you need worry about CGT so don't get overly fixed on this sales pitch.

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at that section but I admit I'd be wary not buying from an official dealer in case I got something that was fake (not that the ones I got last week had anything with them that guaranteed their authenticity. I was expecting a certificate or something).

I ordered 25x 2021 britannias from atkinson bullion and received them a week later.  They are currently £707.40 for 25. https://atkinsonsbullion.com/silver/silver-coins/1oz-silver-coins/2021-uk-britannia-1oz-silver-coin-full-tube-of-2

19 minutes ago, SilverMagic said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at that section but I admit I'd be wary not buying from an official dealer in case I got something that was fake (not that the ones I got last week had anything with them that guaranteed their authenticity. I was expecting a certificate or something).

If you want piece of mind mite be worth PM @BackyardBullion about his intermediary service. A small fee is charged but he will authenticate any product you are thinking of buying from here and will probably end up being cheeper than main dealers. 1-2 coins mite not be worth it but if you want a stack of 25+ ect then its a safe call. I will also have some Britannia's available soon if your interested just PM me. 

ATB BST 

25 minutes ago, SilverMagic said:

Go to the sellers profile and click that activity button. Look under trading feedback. Some sellers have pages and pages of positive feedback. Unfortunately if you want a decent price then it's pier to pier trading. 

I like the auction houses. Risks are massive tho, everything is sold as seen. Do get some gems tho. 

17 minutes ago, Relm said:

I ordered 25x 2021 britannias from atkinson bullion and received them a week later.  They are currently £707.40 for 25. https://atkinsonsbullion.com/silver/silver-coins/1oz-silver-coins/2021-uk-britannia-1oz-silver-coin-full-tube-of-2

That's a very good price in comparison to the others - I wonder why such a difference? 

2 minutes ago, SilverMagic said:

That's a very good price in comparison to the others - I wonder why such a difference? 

I think atkinsons are great for value, I used them multiple times compared to the other bullion dealers. Personally I think they just wanna sell at a fair value. But bearing in mind this whole "silversqueeze" and the royal mint out of stock of majority of products mite wanna stack up while prices are good. 

ATB

BST 

2 minutes ago, BiteSizeTrader said:

I think atkinsons are great for value, I used them multiple times compared to the other bullion dealers. Personally I think they just wanna sell at a fair value. But bearing in mind this whole "silversqueeze" and the royal mint out of stock of majority of products mite wanna stack up while prices are good. 

ATB

BST 

Yes, being new to this, I'm just taking a few minutes to check the reliability of the company & what reviews they have been given, so good to know you have used them multiple times. Do none of the main dealers offer a certificate of authenticity with their products?

2 minutes ago, SilverMagic said:

Yes, being new to this, I'm just taking a few minutes to check the reliability of the company & what reviews they have been given, so good to know you have used them multiple times. Do none of the main dealers offer a certificate of authenticity with their products?

I doubt it or at the very least it would cost you.  Long time traders have too much to loose selling fake bullion.  Britannia's have some of the best security features out there wish i had got more but it wasn't in my budget

20210321_205554.thumb.jpg.fca6de35b60835796f48cb73b6248961.jpg

17 minutes ago, SilverMagic said:

Yes the only place I have used that does is - https://www.ukbullion.com/ See my picture you get a little certificate of authenticity card with your purchase. I also keep mine just incase you wanna release them at a later date and get max value. 

Regards 

BST 

If i was a new stacker now id be getting into gold, silver premiums are crazy currently eg 50% with spot at £18 you have no guarantee the physical market will be such a distant from spot price in the future and once this silver squeeze has died supply will push down prices again

12 minutes ago, BiteSizeTrader said:

20210321_205554.thumb.jpg.fca6de35b60835796f48cb73b6248961.jpg

Yes the only place I have used that does is - https://www.ukbullion.com/ See my picture you get a little certificate of authenticity card with your purchase. I also keep mine just incase you wanna release them at a later date and get max value. 

Regards 

BST 

Thanks, I checked their prices and they are higher than Atkinson so I think I might buy a few there and do without the certificate. I will keep UK Bullion in mind for the future. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, silvernewbie said:

If i was a new stacker now id be getting into gold, silver premiums are crazy currently eg 50% with spot at £18 you have no guarantee the physical market will be such a distant from spot price in the future and once this silver squeeze has died supply will push down prices again

I agree the premiums are crazy and that's why I bought gold first. I will probably buy more gold but want a few silver coins in case things get really bad.

Just now, SilverMagic said:

Thanks, I checked their prices and they are higher than Atkinson so I think I might buy a few there and do without the certificate. I will keep UK Bullion in mind for the future. Thanks again.

No problem, Atkinsons is cheeper but expect 3-5days at least, I know someone who just ordered a monster box that was instock to be told 14days! cheeky. Uk Bullion costs abit more but speedy delivery. 

ATB

BST 

If I was looking to buy a stack then my first port of call would be on here. I understand your reluctance regarding authenticity, bit the long term members on here value their reputation more than a few hundred quid. I am in no way affiliated with anyone on here, but if you check out the buy and sell section and look for long established members you'll be fine. This is just my opinion, but I expect others would agree. Large amounts of metals change hands on this forum every day.

This post in the buy sell might be of interest.

On 17/03/2021 at 20:04, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Am selling 20 tubes of Britannia mix years bullion condition. These tubes have 20 Brits  in them each, so total 400 britannia available. Dates range from 2013-2018. May have toning or milking, no idea, haven’t checked them in years. 

£540 per tube of 20 plus post of choice or collection from secure location in Jewellery Quarter Monday onwards as I have to get them out of storage. 

Only hitch is will be able to post Monday, no sooner. 

2476B444-4AB5-4BB6-9AA7-D8A05B9B6A63.jpeg

A4B7197E-02C3-4A8B-BCEE-C25581FC3E78.jpeg

DF4411ED-CC0E-4ECE-86BB-FB52BAC09713.jpeg

9CA12477-AB4A-4D1F-BB2C-36DF7A7A7148.jpeg

0340C4B6-B956-454D-8DFF-BEE47AF3D266.jpeg

83A5BD74-43B0-4923-8CC4-542AE12A5A96.jpeg

A7FF1A6A-6F19-4AD4-9903-636E7458B686.jpeg

1 hour ago, TheShinyStuff said:

If I was looking to buy a stack then my first port of call would be on here. I understand your reluctance regarding authenticity, bit the long term members on here value their reputation more than a few hundred quid. I am in no way affiliated with anyone on here, but if you check out the buy and sell section and look for long established members you'll be fine. This is just my opinion, but I expect others would agree. Large amounts of metals change hands on this forum every day.

This post in the buy sell might be of interest.

Thanks, just seeing this now. I bought some on Atkinsons but only half of what I originally intended to buy so may get some more here. Thanks for your help.

What I would suggest if your looking to start buying on here is have a look at the completed trades it's not unusual to find sovs selling for 300-310 but they go quick any cheap silver gets snapped up as soon as its listed there was a kilo added recently and sold within half hour for 775. Someone else listed a load of vintage kilos at crazy low price check out bybs channel. I get some peoples issues with having to pay to use a site I was reluctant at first but even buying 1 thing a month still works out cheaper if you Inc the membership fees. What I would stress is don't rush do your homework work out what your after and pace yourself 

I'm also new to this game, I feel ya regarding the reluctance from buying from here but I have made 3 transactions from established members and they have been great!

I have also made a purchase of 50 Britannia's from Atkinson's as they would be authentic and the prices are reasonable, they are finally due to be delivered today.

Seeing as I plan to stack silver for the foreseeable, I feel being  a paid member of this forum is money well spent.

6 hours ago, SilverMagic said:

Thanks, just seeing this now. I bought some on Atkinsons but only half of what I originally intended to buy so may get some more here. Thanks for your help.

To put your mind at ease my coins are all individually tested and verified. If you wanted to pop into the shop to test live I would be able to facilitate in Birmingham jewellery quarter

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived