• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To see if my coin is genuine

Sd1984

10 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

did you get chance to weigh it?

The Britannia coin company posted a picture of one that they discovered in a set . The Chinese are getting very good at detailed fakes 😱 and there is the added problem of fake slabs .

122031657_221779452622040_6419702213353145501_n.jpg

https://www.pcgs.com/news/counterfeit-pcgs-holders

Some helpful tips in this article.

There is no picture of the coin when you look it up on PCGS so you may want to approach PCGS to see if they can verify it is not a fake.

It looks as if there is some damage to the holder so you might ask them to re-holder it (Perhaps while it is out of the holder you could see if they can conserve it and maybe you will get a better grade!!)

28 minutes ago, Seasider said:

There is no picture of the coin when you look it up on PCGS so you may want to approach PCGS to see if they can verify it is not a fake.

It looks as if there is some damage to the holder so you might ask them to re-holder it (Perhaps while it is out of the holder you could see if they can conserve it and maybe you will get a better grade!!)

Thanks very much 

5 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

The Britannia coin company posted a picture of one that they discovered in a set . The Chinese are getting very good at detailed fakes 😱 and there is the added problem of fake slabs .

Sorry do you mean in the slab check the weight 

36 minutes ago, Seasider said:

The variety numbers are not the same also wot dose this mean the seller told me it came from coin cabinet 

22 hours ago, dicker said:

Welcome to the forum.  Always worth posting up an intro. 

Best

Dicker

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I assumed you meant one in a fake slab. I was curious to know if total weight would be an indicator.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

23 hours ago, Booky586 said:

I asked a similar question recently. Apparently Sigma analysers and XRF machines can check through the plastic slab, perhaps you could find an owner of one to help you out.

Thanks very much appreciated 

15 minutes ago, Sd1984 said:

Sorry do you mean in the slab check the weight 

42.8 gram dose anyone have a £2 sovereign in this holder can check weigh out please much appreciated if could shaun 

The total weight of coin in holder is 42.8 dose anyone or could anyone help by checking a genuine £2 sovereign in this type of holder please be fantastic help I am covered but don’t want send it back as I wanted this coin for long long time 

2 minutes ago, Sd1984 said:

The total weight of coin in holder is 42.8 dose anyone or could anyone help by checking a genuine £2 sovereign in this type of holder please be fantastic help I am covered but don’t want send it back as I wanted this coin for long long time 

I have a few, I have weighed them in the past for this very reason. I will dig out the results.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

21 minutes ago, Sd1984 said:

The variety numbers are not the same also wot dose this mean the seller told me it came from coin cabinet

Coin Cabinet holds auctions (and I think sells coins direct).  They have a section in the Dealers sub-forum on here.  The chances of getting a fake through them would be very slim.

8 minutes ago, Sd1984 said:

The total weight of coin in holder is 42.8 dose anyone or could anyone help by checking a genuine £2 sovereign in this type of holder

I have one in a NGC holder which weighs about 55 grams

This should be a relatively easy way to find out the exact weight. If anyone has a PCGS slab, unfortunately I don't, weigh the slab then subtract the weight of the coin to give the net weight of the empty slab. Then add 15.98 to that which should give the combined expected weight of slab plus double sov.  😁

Can confirm the NGC double sov weighs in at just over 55g.

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Google your variety number and you get something called the Tyrant Collection - maybe your coin is from there.  If so it has a good pedigree to put it mildly.

I didn’t get coin from coin cabinet the seller who sold me is saying that 

Archived