• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To see if my coin is genuine

Sd1984

51 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Coin Cabinet holds auctions (and I think sells coins direct).  They have a section in the Dealers sub-forum on here.  The chances of getting a fake through them would be very slim.

I have one in a NGC holder which weighs about 55 grams

Yes Ngc look a little more bulky then one in question I do have a Canadian hoard coin in an ngc holder thanks 

Just for the wider forum....Came up on Google. You can even buy fake slabs and hologram stickers from the same place. Disgraceful!

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60053619298/wholesale-gold-plated-1989-sovereign-coins.html?__detailProductImg=%2F%2Fs.alicdn.com%2F%40sc01%2Fkf%2FHTB1HHmCLXXXXXXGXpXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg_140x140xz.jpg

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Don’t forget that the holders vary not only by the style of holder (vary over years) but also based on what coin will be housed in the slab.  Essentially you have to make sure the weight is correct based on the capsule style and the type of coin.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 minute ago, dicker said:

Just for the wider forum....Came up on Google. You can even buy fake slabs and hologram stickers from the same place. Disgraceful!

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60053619298/wholesale-gold-plated-1989-sovereign-coins.html?__detailProductImg=%2F%2Fs.alicdn.com%2F%40sc01%2Fkf%2FHTB1HHmCLXXXXXXGXpXXq6xXFXXXN.jpg_140x140xz.jpg

Who makes them want fined must be able to be stopped I was advised to come onto the site by friend I met told me how good it was then watching utube videos yesterday of a man making silver bars to sell to help this site so thought I come on and ask you guys and girls because of all the knowledge on here 

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

Don’t forget that the holders vary not only by the style of holder (vary over years) but also based on what coin will be housed in the slab.  Essentially you have to make sure the weight is correct based on the capsule style and the type of coin.  

Best

Dicker

Correct

One suggestion is to find a local coin dealer with a good long standing reputation to check it for you. Especially one accredited to NGC or similar level. Also a good idea to keep all receipts etc. to help prove authenticity in the future if needed.

1 hour ago, Chorlton said:

One suggestion is to find a local coin dealer with a good long standing reputation to check it for you. Especially one accredited to NGC or similar level. Also a good idea to keep all receipts etc. to help prove authenticity in the future if needed.

Hard in lock down and don’t want keep hold it too long where can’t send back think al just send back if don’t get answer here tonight gutted wanted this coin along time do have this £2 sovereign but not in slabb

image.jpg

5 hours ago, Sd1984 said:

Who makes them want fined must be able to be stopped

Until 2015 counterfeiting was punjshable by death in China.  Didn't seem to stop them.

4 hours ago, Sd1984 said:

don’t want keep hold it too long where can’t send back think al just send back if don’t get answer here tonight

If you are not happy with it then send it back.  I can't tell a fake by looking at a picture (or even when it is in my hand) but there are some on here who may be able to do so.  I'd guess @sovereignstevewould be one of them.  Checking with PCGS would seem to be a sensible step as they may be able to tell if the slab is correct.  You might also check with @TheCoinCabinetto see if this is a coin which they have handled whether in an auction or as a direct sale (of course they may be a bit busy with the auction on Sunday).

6 hours ago, dicker said:

Don’t forget that the holders vary not only by the style of holder (vary over years) but also based on what coin will be housed in the slab.

Just for information I weighed the only two PCGS slabs I have.  They are older style slabs than yours (without the cut outs in the plastic) and the coins in them are about half the weight.  They came out as 44 and 46 grams.

27 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Until 2015 counterfeiting was punjshable by death in China.  Didn't seem to stop them.

If you are not happy with it then send it back.  I can't tell a fake by looking at a picture (or even when it is in my hand) but there are some on here who may be able to do so.  I'd guess @sovereignstevewould be one of them.  Checking with PCGS would seem to be a sensible step as they may be able to tell if the slab is correct.  You might also check with @TheCoinCabinetto see if this is a coin which they have handled whether in an auction or as a direct sale (of course they may be a bit busy with the auction on Sunday).

Just for information I weighed the only two PCGS slabs I have.  They are older style slabs than yours (without the cut outs in the plastic) and the coins in them are about half the weight.  They came out as 44 and 46 grams.

Bout same as mine and my coins supposed be twice the weight 

On 13/11/2020 at 14:58, Sd1984 said:

42.8 gram dose anyone have a £2 sovereign in this holder can check weigh out please much appreciated if could shaun 

I have one the same as yours and it weighs 42.9g

Others weigh up to 0.35g more but I have found slight differences between very modern slabs and older ones in single sovereigns.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 13/11/2020 at 15:35, silversurf said:

This should be a relatively easy way to find out the exact weight. If anyone has a PCGS slab, unfortunately I don't, weigh the slab then subtract the weight of the coin to give the net weight of the empty slab. Then add 15.98 to that which should give the combined expected weight of slab plus double sov.  😁

If you weigh all demoninations in PCGS slabs, the differences don't fully correlate with what you would expect simply between the coins. There must also be differences depending on the size of the internal holder.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

15 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If you weigh all demoninations in PCGS slabs, the differences don't fully correlate with what you would expect simply between the coins. There must also be differences depending on the size of the internal holder.

@sovereignsteve Arthur Conan Doyle once quoted " You see but you do not observe" a fact i must obviously pay more attention to in the future. Well thought out "Holmes"

Archived