• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's your PM ratio breakdown?

vand

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Mine too.  Probably true for everyone else who has posted, unless they have specifically said otherwise.

I was always looking at it physically, as it was easier to track :). Guess I have to figure otherwise

In present value :

22% Gold physical  - 62% bullion/38% numismatics   -  45% >=1oz    55%< 1oz  

10% Silver physical  -  50% bullion/ 40% semi numismatics/10% high premium

40% Senior miners

10% Junior miners

18% Royalty companies

On 20/07/2020 at 19:07, vand said:

Useful exercise actually.. mine is:

Gold 13.9%
Silver 52.1%
Plat 9.5%
Pall 0.1%
Smin 24.3%
Jmin 0.0%
Royal 0.0%

Silver is now 60% with the recent run up.

I'm congizant that the GSR is not as favourable as it was only a few weeks ago and feel overexposed to silver now, so I'm going to be rebalancing back to around 50% silver.

5 hours ago, vand said:

Silver is now 60% with the recent run up.

I'm congizant that the GSR is not as favourable as it was only a few weeks ago and feel overexposed to silver now, so I'm going to be rebalancing back to around 50% silver.

I recall some good advice you gave me not to sell to rebalance, but just allocate funds elsewhere over time to rebalance, I think this is the best option if you think silver has more to give over the coming months/years. 

13 minutes ago, KDave said:

I recall some good advice you gave me not to sell to rebalance, but just allocate funds elsewhere over time to rebalance, I think this is the best option if you think silver has more to give over the coming months/years. 

Yes I know.. sometimes I need to listen to my own advice LOL

I think you need to be flexible on these calls, and also it depends on your total portfolio size to monthly buying amount too. I can only add about 1.5% to my assets under management each month, so my AUM to cashflow ratio is relatively high.  The last couple of months has seen my PM exposure grow to 35% of my net wealth (or 42%, stripping out cash). Just trying to rebalance via monthly buying will take a long time, so this is also an all-round rjigging exercise. 

That's fair enough and exactly the logic I used to justify it to myself haha. In hindsight I would have been better holding and stop buying, and allocating more funds to oil instead to average in. 

May I ask what are you looking to move the funds into, other areas of the portfolio that have underperformed or is it a general rebalance?

3 hours ago, KDave said:

That's fair enough and exactly the logic I used to justify it to myself haha. In hindsight I would have been better holding and stop buying, and allocating more funds to oil instead to average in. 

May I ask what are you looking to move the funds into, other areas of the portfolio that have underperformed or is it a general rebalance?

probably something like half to gold, half to equities.

@KDave, thought it might be a good idea to read what Drunkenmiller said was the greatest lesson he learnt from Soros:

https://acquirersmultiple.com/2017/11/stanley-druckenmiller-the-greatest-lesson-i-ever-learned-from-george-soros/

"Soros has taught me that when you have tremendous conviction on a trade, you have to go for the jugular. It takes courage to be a pig. It takes courage to ride a profit with huge leverage. As far as Soros is concerned, when you’re right on something, you can’t own enough. Although I was not at Soros Management at the time, I’ve heard that prior to the Plaza Accord meeting in the fall of 1985, other traders in the office had been piggybacking George and hence were long the yen going into the meeting. When the yen opened 800 points higher on Monday morning, these traders couldn’t believe the size of their gains and anxiously started taking profits. Supposedly, George came bolting out of the door, directing the other traders to stop selling the yen, telling them that he would assume their position.

While these other traders were congratulating themselves for having taken the biggest profit in their lives, Soros was looking at the big picture: The government had just told him that the dollar was going to go down for the next year, so why shouldn’t he be a pig and buy more [yen]?"

Interesting, as much as I hate Soros for his politics you have to admire that attitude towards trading. Drunkenmiller calls him courageous, others would call his attitude towards risk management and losses as reckless. 

Where is the line between reckless and courageous? The answer is found in hindsight, as to whether you were right or wrong of course.

On 07/08/2020 at 17:22, KDave said:

Interesting, as much as I hate Soros for his politics you have to admire that attitude towards trading. Drunkenmiller calls him courageous, others would call his attitude towards risk management and losses as reckless. 

Where is the line between reckless and courageous? The answer is found in hindsight, as to whether you were right or wrong of course.

Another thing that Drunkenmiller said about Soros is that "he's the best loss taker I've ever seen." It makes sense. When you bet big you have better be ready to cut your losses without hesitation, regret or remorse when it goes against you, ready to fight another day.

31 minutes ago, vand said:

Another thing that Drunkenmiller said about Soros is that "he's the best loss taker I've ever seen." It makes sense. When you bet big you have better be ready to cut your losses without hesitation, regret or remorse when it goes against you, ready to fight another day.

Vand you seem like a knowledgeable guy.

Whats your number one asset right now that you see with biggest potential for gains?, silver?

41 minutes ago, Pi7 said:

Vand you seem like a knowledgeable guy.

Whats your number one asset right now that you see with biggest potential for gains?, silver?

That's not really the way I think.

Penny stocks, single stock junior gold miners and cryptos all have the potential for huge gains, but that doesn't mean I invest in them because they also have the potential for huge losses. I try to focus on risk just as much as potential gain, so my investing thesis is to hold a well diversifed portfolio with tilts towards value and other plays where I judge there to be asymmetrical risk/reward where the potential upside is great while in the worst case scenario you losses are limited.

In the PM space I like silver, but I have to admit that I think platinum is a better play right now. But that doesn't mean you should own platinum or swap your silver out for platinum. I might be wrong.. do your own research, and hold both if you can see a compelling case for both.

My PMs are 100% physical gold. 

Silver is too high premium for physical for me. You can pass on the premiums but that does reduce the liquidity of it when it come to sell. ETFs are how I would own silver but i see it as less of a long term hold than gold, and as something you need to time right due to its volatility and take profits and run.

The way my overall investment portfolio is structured it is better for me to buy and hold gold. It serves its purpose for me and like all my investments (within reason) is something i am happy sitting on forever.

Archived