• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Suggestions for safe 100 to 250 oz Silver purchase (in 1oz coins) as a hedge

Vishy

I am new to silver stacking and want to buy silver (approx 100 to 200 oz) purely as a hedge against current economic climate and QE / constant increases to money supply. I also like the price of individual silver coins as they have an individual barter quality that reassures me if ever the UK pound or US dollar ever goes into hyper inflation. That's why I like the idea of buying a load and putting them into storage for a potentially rainy day.

I have been looking to buy from www.bullionbypost.co.uk when they have stock again of 1oz silver britannia coins. I am attracted to the fact that they don't incur CGT, and the price for purchases for 100+ coins seems competitive compared to listings I have seen so far. But like everyone, I'd like a better deal if it is safe (e.g. from a trusted seller on here).

Now that I have given insight into my current line of thinking, please can the more experienced silver stackers and investors give me some advice? Does my plan seem solid or do you have a better suggestion to help me achieve my goals?

35 minutes ago, Vishy said:

I am new to silver stacking and want to buy silver (approx 100 to 200 oz) purely as a hedge against current economic climate and QE / constant increases to money supply. I also like the price of individual silver coins as they have an individual barter quality that reassures me if ever the UK pound or US dollar ever goes into hyper inflation. That's why I like the idea of buying a load and putting them into storage for a potentially rainy day.

I have been looking to buy from www.bullionbypost.co.uk when they have stock again of 1oz silver britannia coins. I am attracted to the fact that they don't incur CGT, and the price for purchases for 100+ coins seems competitive compared to listings I have seen so far. But like everyone, I'd like a better deal if it is safe (e.g. from a trusted seller on here).

Now that I have given insight into my current line of thinking, please can the more experienced silver stackers and investors give me some advice? Does my plan seem solid or do you have a better suggestion to help me achieve my goals?

Everyone has to start from scratch and fortunately you are quite lucky because of the existence of this forum with thousands of tips and shared experiences from fellow members AND that silver is relatively cheap, albeit hard to get due to panic buying.
When looking at on-line UK dealer prices make sure you check that the final price includes 20% VAT which doesn't always appear in the headline prices.
My first silver coin purchase was actually a silver Britannia from BullionbyPost funny enough, like you, before I gained experience and many other sources sprung up.

Forget CGT at your stage and look to buy regular bullion one ounce silver coins wherever you find the best price and is in stock.
If you can buy tubes of 20 or 25 it makes storage easy, so consider cutting your teeth on the most popular coins ignoring the year of manufacture -

- American Silver Eagles
- Canadian Maples
- UK Britannias
- Austrian Philarmonics

If adventurous and looking for a more interesting coin look to any coins produced by the Australian Perth Mint.
These are mainly Lunar year coins depicting the Chinese calendar but there are dozens of themed coins featuring all types of wildlife.
These cost more but equally so will sell above regular bullion and the quality / condition of each coin is superior and protected in clear capsules from the mint.

If you conclude your research and send me a PM with what you find as the best deal then I will reply.
I can supply more than you require of the above so inventory is not an issue.

Hi @Vishy welcome to the Silver Forum

The following forum members currently selling generic Silver in quantity I am aware of @RisinSun and @paolo

Apologies miss anyone out. There is so many different types and varieties of Silver maybe best for you buy single Maple, Britannia, Eagle, Philharmonic, Kangaroo produced by the major mints of the world as their main bullion coin and see what you like rather than try and buy 100/200 oz all at once.

I would check out the very large group unboxing videos from BYB https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM_iarnIuvnwq8eMMGvWzOA  give you a flavour what members on the Silver Forum have been buying as a group order.

Thanks for the advice Pete and Abyss.

One thing that confuses me a bit is why a 1oz Britannia listed by a private seller like Risin Sun would advertised for sale £20.50 each (if you buy 20+), whereas they can be acquired brand new from bullionbypost at £16 + VAT each (£19.20 inc VAT) with free insured delivery, or a bit more if buying less than 100. Bullionbypost seem more competitive than pre-owned coins sold by private sellers and that's with VAT, delivery, etc, all included.

Am I missing something here? Like is there a special collectible value to the Britannias that RisinSun is advertising? 

I don't know where you're seeing these Britannia's on billionbypost, they all show as out of stock for me except the Lunar edge, but if you can find Britannia's in stock for less than £20 with VAT then go with that

9 minutes ago, OriginalS said:

I don't know where you're seeing these Britannia's on billionbypost, they all show as out of stock for me except the Lunar edge, but if you can find Britannia's in stock for less than £20 with VAT then go with that

You're correct, they're currently not in stock, but they were a few days ago. I'm seeing them here: https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-coins/britannia-silver-ounce/1oz-silver-britannia-best-value/

Before posting in here I was generally scouting on sites like ebay and major dealers. Generally I was finding private sellers more expensive than online dealers. Hence my question whether I was missing something?

33 minutes ago, Vishy said:

Thanks for the advice Pete and Abyss.

One thing that confuses me a bit is why a 1oz Britannia listed by a private seller like Risin Sun would advertised for sale £20.50 each (if you buy 20+), whereas they can be acquired brand new from bullionbypost at £16 + VAT each (£19.20 inc VAT) with free insured delivery, or a bit more if buying less than 100. Bullionbypost seem more competitive than pre-owned coins sold by private sellers and that's with VAT, delivery, etc, all included.

Am I missing something here? Like is there a special collectible value to the Britannias that RisinSun is advertising? 

Delivery has been suspended for a while now... 

Thanks @Abyss much appreciated for the advertisement.

@Vishy the coins I have are 2016 Britannias, date might not matter to you but with regards to whether a dealer has this specific coin with this specific date, it is an important factor in deciding the price.

Also a very important note, dealers don't update their prices for a certain item when they don't have it in stock. It's a waste of time. The one Britannia type BBP does have is around £26.

Good luck dude.

If you're not fussy on date, the Royal Mint has tubes of 2019 Britannia is stock on their bullion sub section.

Buying 100-200 works out at £15.07 + VAT per oz or, if you can buy >250 then you can get them for £14.71+VAT which is decent given where we have seen coin prices over the last few weeks!

25 minutes ago, RisinSun said:

Thanks @Abyss much appreciated for the advertisement.

@Vishy the coins I have are 2016 Britannias, date might not matter to you but with regards to whether a dealer has this specific coin with this specific date, it is an important factor in deciding the price.

Also a very important note, dealers don't update their prices for a certain item when they don't have it in stock. It's a waste of time. The one Britannia type BBP does have is around £26.

Good luck dude.

Thanks - that's really useful info. Helps me to understand why pricing is the way it is, and the different dynamics at play. That's why i'm not going to rush in and pull the trigger on any purchase until i've spent a week or two researching.

20 minutes ago, Clockpuncher said:

If you're not fussy on date, the Royal Mint has tubes of 2019 Britannia is stock on their bullion sub section.

Buying 100-200 works out at £15.07 + VAT per oz or, if you can buy >250 then you can get them for £14.71+VAT which is decent given where we have seen coin prices over the last few weeks!

Awesome - i'll check that out. Honestly i'm not fussy - i just want to make a smart value buy and lock it away as a hedge. If it all goes belly up, i won't care whether i have canadian maples or chinese pandas or silver britannias lol ... 

3 minutes ago, Vishy said:

Thanks - that's really useful info. Helps me to understand why pricing is the way it is, and the different dynamics at play. That's why i'm not going to rush in and pull the trigger on any purchase until i've spent a week or two researching.

I wish I had done some research rather than go balls deep on 10 Oz of metalor bars. Would have sold at a loss to buy beautiful coins if it wasn't for brexit boosting the value.

Given the choice between 2018 or 2019 Britannia 1oz coins from Royal Mint, which would you choose? Would one be perceived as having more value than the other if re-sold?

It won't matter whether 2018 or 2019 they have nothing special to them to add more in the future. Also because of the virus premiums are crazy right now. These premiums will come down in the coming months when things start to reopen. I just dont think its worth getting into right now to lose a good bit of your money on over premium. 

37 minutes ago, JosephM said:

It won't matter whether 2018 or 2019 they have nothing special to them to add more in the future. Also because of the virus premiums are crazy right now. These premiums will come down in the coming months when things start to reopen. I just dont think its worth getting into right now to lose a good bit of your money on over premium. 

Well looking at price over the last 10 years, buying silver when spot price is $15 seems a solid hedging buy, particularly in these current times. I'm surprised it's not well over $25 by now. The upside potential seems considerable.

On 28/04/2020 at 19:59, JosephM said:

@Vishy yes this has been the argument of pumpers for a long time.

All I will say is do your own research. That way you will be happy either way as you can't blame anyone. 

Very true - one must always be wary of pumpers. I've bought gold for many years and bought heavily in mid 2000's, and invested in other asset classes so understand there is risk in every investment / purchase decision we make.  Looking at price over last 10 years silver has done pretty much nothing, so I go into this with tempered expectations and only from a hedging perspective. I fully realise it could pull back in value. But if it does it will probably mean other investments of mine are going up.

Added 0 minutes later...
On 28/04/2020 at 17:54, Clockpuncher said:

Thanks tons @Clockpuncher - i bought 250 1oz silver britannias (2018) from the Royal Mint. Completely contradicted my previous post of waiting a few weeks, but I had been watching the market for several weeks before joining here. A direct order from the Royal Mint in the ballpark of the rates you mentioned delivered is solid buying for my needs.

@Vishy General info. Many online resellers show prices of products they do not have currently. Its a historical price not a current price. I dont know why some sites list a old price, for a out of stock item, as it can only confuses new people.   Welcome to the Wealth Preservation Society ! ! !

1 minute ago, fastlanwan said:

I dont know why some sites list a old price, for a out of stock item, as it can only confuses new people.

One reason is to bait people in with the hope they stay, look around and hopefully buy something else.  Another reason is probably because it would be too time consuming to constantly update prices for items that are not currently in stock - why don’t they just remove it?  See the first reason 😄

On 28/04/2020 at 08:35, Pete said:

Everyone has to start from scratch and fortunately you are quite lucky because of the existence of this forum with thousands of tips and shared experiences from fellow members AND that silver is relatively cheap, albeit hard to get due to panic buying.
When looking at on-line UK dealer prices make sure you check that the final price includes 20% VAT which doesn't always appear in the headline prices.
My first silver coin purchase was actually a silver Britannia from BullionbyPost funny enough, like you, before I gained experience and many other sources sprung up.

Forget CGT at your stage and look to buy regular bullion one ounce silver coins wherever you find the best price and is in stock.
If you can buy tubes of 20 or 25 it makes storage easy, so consider cutting your teeth on the most popular coins ignoring the year of manufacture -

- American Silver Eagles
- Canadian Maples
- UK Britannias
- Austrian Philarmonics

If adventurous and looking for a more interesting coin look to any coins produced by the Australian Perth Mint.
These are mainly Lunar year coins depicting the Chinese calendar but there are dozens of themed coins featuring all types of wildlife.
These cost more but equally so will sell above regular bullion and the quality / condition of each coin is superior and protected in clear capsules from the mint.

If you conclude your research and send me a PM with what you find as the best deal then I will reply.
I can supply more than you require of the above so inventory is not an issue.

Pete, please keep me posted, I'm in the same boat. Thank you.

Archived