• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed 2017 £5 proof sovereign graded 70

Sovereign

8 minutes ago, Marc said:

I have one which is PCGS PR69Dcam that is being sent to Numi for conservation and possible upgrade. No promises but if you want to take a chance and buy it with the hope it crosses to NGC as a 70 then you can have it for £3,100. If you do not want to risk it then if you are stilll looking for one and mine comes back a 70 i will let yuo know.

can’t risk it .. i hope you get 70 👍

please do let me know 

cheers Marc

On 02/02/2020 at 17:24, Sovereign said:

wanted 2017 proof 5 sovereign graded 70 

will pay £3300 

thank you 👍

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-A28JW/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-2017-gold-5-pounds-proof-ngc-pf70-ultra-cameo-4514729-066

One up for auction in Coin Cabinets next auction @Sovereign

I bought at Coin Cabinet's last auction and was a very nice experience. Would use them again for sure 

2 hours ago, Paul said:

https://auctions.thecoincabinet.com/lots/view/4-A28JW/great-britain-elizabeth-ii-2017-gold-5-pounds-proof-ngc-pf70-ultra-cameo-4514729-066

One up for auction in Coin Cabinets next auction @Sovereign

I bought at Coin Cabinet's last auction and was a very nice experience. Would use them again for sure 

Cheers Paul same here bought 2015 proof sovereign last auction 

will see how much this will go for ! 

On 08/02/2020 at 14:58, Sovereign said:

Cheers Paul same here bought 2015 proof sovereign last auction 

will see how much this will go for ! 

It's currently sitting at £3,600.

I also have this coin in the top grade with the same label so I'm also interested to see how much this one sells for. 

I may consider selling my own for a decent profit in the near future, but not at the moment.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

10 minutes ago, Marc said:

WOW they are shooting up. I bought them last year for about £2,900 and sold for £3,300 approx. My PCGS 69 has been sent for conservation to NGC lets hope it gets a 70. My bet is that £3,6000 is probaby the highest it will go but one never knows.

@Marc The half won't be far behind in price movement! IMHO especially as : -- - 

The proof half sovereigns have a mintage figure of 5,100 coins. This includes coins issued as part of sets. No more than 2,500 proof half sovereigns will be issued in their individual presentation boxes. 

Am I right @CadmiumGreen 😉 👍

51 minutes ago, Marc said:

WOW they are shooting up. I bought them last year for about £2,900 and sold for £3,300 approx. My PCGS 69 has been sent for conservation to NGC lets hope it gets a 70. My bet is that £3,6000 is probaby the highest it will go but one never knows.

Marc, I hope your prediction is right - especially as you added an extra zero at the end!

Joking apart, good luck with your conservation and grading. 

Own it and Love it.

30 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

The proof half sovereigns have a mintage figure of 5,100 coins. This includes coins issued as part of sets. No more than 2,500 proof half sovereigns will be issued in their individual presentation boxes. 

Am I right @CadmiumGreen 😉 👍

I would have to double check the 2017 Half Sov Proof certificate for the mintage listed...Marsh is quoting a mintage of 5,150 for Half Sov and Chards agrees with your 5,100...also it was 5,100 mintage for the Quarter Sov. The lovely £5 Gold Sov Proof was in the 750 mintage five-coin set. I would say that all 2017 Proof Sovereigns will retain a higher asking price throughout their lives...and should show steady increases with time, as they are a true timeless classic design that is very much appreciated across the numismatics and sovereign collectors.

@Marc has a wonderful collection and does provide some great deals for all The Silver Forum!

55 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

The half is a great coin but there is way more people collect the full sovereign and £5 

With regard to modern sovereigns I would imagine the majority collect the full sov, rather than the quintuple, either just for special year designs or date runs.

The quintuple probably attracts fewer collectors because of its cost. I've only got 3 myself - the 2017 proof grade 70, the 2017 deep proof like (raw) which I acquired before I sourced the proof version, and a 1989 (raw) which is part of my unbroken box set.

The 2017 quintuple proof was only a mintage of 750 (all part of the box sets), as already mentioned by our buddy @CadmiumGreen. Yet the deep proof like quintuple (mintage 1,000 in individual boxes) is a desirable alternative to the proof. Its reverse side is as good as the proof in my opinion. The difference is on the obverse side which is "only" BU. Who looks at that side though, when you've got the garter design to look at?

Own it and Love it.

2 hours ago, Oldun said:

Currently 3,600 pounds and still a couple of weeks to go.... I will be watching this with interest as I have a 6 coin proof set.

Very nice indeed. Is it a raw or graded set?

Own it and Love it.

1 minute ago, Oldun said:

Raw and one owner....me, so I know its provenance. With many of the very few 6 coin sets getting broken up, I am quite happy to keep the set in all its original glory.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately I only began my coin collecting journey in 2016 and hadn't progressed onto gold coins when the 2017 series was introduced. I had to source my quintuples in the secondary market. 

The same applied to my 1989 box set. I prefer to keep those raw in all their glory, whereas if they came back slabbed at anything less than 70s it would reduce their wow factor for me. I believe it's difficult to attain the optimum grade for these too. They're over 30 years old now and lack the beautiful wooden box that your 2017 set came in. It's all about the coins though and they look a lovely family sitting at home together in their original capsules.

Own it and Love it.

15 hours ago, Marc said:

We all screw up. I paid a premium for the piedfors about 150 quid above RM price and plus grading and they sold for about 200 pound less than the RM price but those are the breaks, who would have thought one could make £30,000 profit on 2 modern Una 2oz gold coins so you take yuor chances. I bought some of the queens coins and offered them here on the Forum for the Price i paid of £510 from the RM but not a single buyer despite them selling for £700 on ebay. This site is a great place to buy but if selling you have to be prepared to lose. Decided to have all my queen coin sent to japan where i can double my money (lots of freedie fans here). I also think the Dinosaurs golds are nice.

That 1/4 Oz Queen coin was a great buy and I was surprised it wasn't snapped up rapidly. I guess people don't always have money available to buy what they want to... especially at this time when most of us have already spent way over our budgets on new coins. But the more this community grows, the more liquid (and competitive) the sales would be. I'm not currently using eBay so I'm greatly appreciating this forum community for buying and selling.

17 hours ago, Sovereign said:

The half is a great coin but there is way more people collect the full sovereign and £5 

If the gold price continues to rise and sovereigns become too expensive for the average guy, I guess half sovereigns will become more and more popular. It's the thing of the future I think...

I do love the 2107.  5 sovereign couldn't get the proof but yes its true the bu is stunning i sent mine to ngc but only got a 69 but love it. I have the 2005. 5 sovereign in a 70 i bought the 4 coin set at the london coin fair. My other 5 sovereign is a 2002 and is a 69 do love the size of the 5 sovereign 

Screenshot_20200214-195100_Gallery.jpg

• Founder & Administrator

@Sovereign I have tidied up and hidden some of the replies here.

Should you wish for any other replies to be hidden from your trade listing please hit the report button on any post you would like hidden and write "please hide" in the comment box.

For all members, please also refer to this topic: 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

2 hours ago, Oldun said:

Roy and I self regulated once we realised we were accidentally spamming a “wanted”  thread with chit chat. I think it best to tidy this thread up for the sake of the original poster

Yes. I drifted off course too. My apologies @Sovereign. Enjoyed the conversations though. Good luck if you're bidding for your wanted coin on the forthcoming auction.

Own it and Love it.

58 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Yes. I drifted off course too. My apologies @Sovereign. Enjoyed the conversations though. Good luck if you're bidding for your wanted coin on the forthcoming auction.

thank you @ChrisSilver

@GoodAsGold No need to apologise i enjoyed it too 

always good to have a dissection about sovereigns 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Archived