• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Coins of South America

Hi chaps...yes...a labour of love...sort of!

@richatthecroft...I am short of these...:-

B6D9F110-EBFF-4B93-BF56-B7F494679E30.thumb.jpeg.9fe471a2715b02cfe22839f1acc0a653.jpeg

The 1926 is on its way from Daniel Jolliet Sarl in Geneva...a dealer well worth checking out..he has some awesome stock, and a gent to deal with. Some of the missing coins do not exist, or just one example is known of. 1959 for example...a dealer (who I know) has the only known example to exist...one day it will be mine. Thank the lord they cost peanuts...if these were UK sovereigns, the prices would be way beyond my fiscal reach. 

I have tracked a few of the above down, but condition is preventing me from buying...details grade coins are not my bag.

Hope the Libertad collection is progressing nicely Rich!

Regards the case @1817Karl, it’s awesome..holds 100 slabbed coins. I bought it from Mr 1967 (Gildeon), so don’t know of its original origin..this may help:-

4360713B-07DA-435A-AC45-F19926CBFD61.thumb.jpeg.86305512058d474c7f96ac471d73c3ec.jpeg

5519E016-199A-4D70-9513-E80896B8F0C1.thumb.jpeg.fb38b44d2896689e42c8f1fe2617f8ef.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I love South American coins, especially because many have the weight and purity on them. I live in Colombia have bought several this past year at spot (mostly from Colombia). Many are worn and in used condition, not BU. Some are proof coins with wear; it's a shame they were not taken care of. But gold is gold, right? Especially when able to get them at spot or lower sometimes. There are not many options of buying or a huge gold market like in other countries. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by beacon
Grammar error

17 minutes ago, sjhdesmond said:

But there's a fantastic gold museum! I could spend all day looking at the Muisca Raft. I even bought a replica as a souvenir.

Indeed! The amount of beauty at the Gold Museum is astonishing :) I try to go there every few years.

3 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

A couple of recent additions to my South American collection..another 5 Quetzals and a 10 Soles.

Very nice collection. How liquid are South American coins in the U.S. or the U.K? Not selling mine anytime soon, but in a few decades perhaps :)

Edited by beacon

@beacon

Hi, as to the liquidity of these coins in the US, I can’t really say, and I’m not about to go guessing. In the Uk, I would say I am in a small minority of people who appreciate South American (especially Peruvian) gold coins. As such, they would be tricky to resell at much of a premium above spot. My avenue of escape would be an international auction house, where the high grade coins do fetch good, and improving prices..even allowing for auction fees.

The above has been good news for me, as I have managed to hoover-up a large collection of Peruvian gold over the last two years, with very little bidding opposition..although that is slowly changing. That said, the Una Libra collection I have collected is for long-term, and I would part with my far less interesting coins before those, and boy do I have a lot of them😂!