• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Does the lighter come with the gold or silver though? That could be the deciding factor 🤔 

to be honest mate if he collected lighters I'd be happy I gave him some of my old trench art lighters he fixed up a treat and some old knives ,Its just getting the bugger to part with his own cash for anything

I'm alright, Jack, Keep your hands off of my stack

7 minutes ago, KRO said:

Completely disagree 
In 1965 I spent half my first months wages on four gold sovereigns costing £16 in total 
I still have those four to this day worth around £1800 in total 
So is a starting wage today £3600 per month?
Gold is indeed a reliable long term store on value 

It's not necessarily the wage. It's what you can frivolously spend from that wage that counts. If sub 60% goes to rent, you're lucky nowadays. That's 60% gone before paying for a car, children, groceries, heating and so on. £1 doesn't mean what it did. 

Is James a billionaire yet?

Do we still get our free Happy Meals that we were promised when it hits £2,000 by the end of the month?

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

1 minute ago, Lyrinn said:

Is James a billionaire yet?

Do we still get our free Happy Meals that we were promised when it hits £2,000 by the end of the month?

He will sell a small portion of his vault and cause the spot price to drop

Just now, AOB said:

He will sell a small portion of his vault and cause the spot price to drop

You mean his pocket change...

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Agreed but we're talking about timescales of decades and centuries. What do you think of this?

It surprises many professional investors that gold has been the leading major asset class in the 21st century. It has beaten the US treasuries, US equities, developed market equities and emerging markets, even after accounting for dividends. $100 invested at the turn of the century has turned into $591

Alchemist-97-chart1.thumb.png.170392ee0e8a27ecb8e88163183f77b7.png

spacer.png

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-asset-class-allocation?s=y&sl=7CWLsLH6XBfchAuw5rqYHr

The likes of a 4% SWR is a common choice of guideline withdrawal rate during retirement, start by drawing 4% of the total portfolio value, and then increase that amount by inflation as the amount drawn in subsequent years. Where 4% was the historic worst case that ended 30 years (age 65 to 95) with nothing remaining. More often (much) better, leaving a comparable amount as the inflation adjusted start date portfolio value or more.

Viewed as 50/50 stock/gold and typically in a bad decade for one the other did well, drawing 8% from one half, 0% from the other ... tended to work out OK. Or simplified further, just take each years SWR from whichever of the two is the most up at that time. Yearly best out of stock or gold compounded together provided a historic return of something like 17% annualised, 13% real (after inflation), the compounded yearly worst asset - lost money. In effect having one half invested in a 'asset' (best of the two) that yields a 17% annualised is ... good enough.

Over the 1970's mostly gold provided the gains, across 1980 and 1990's it was stocks, 2000's and it was gold again, 2010's were stocks again ...etc. a tendency for alternations. Where 50/50 of both stocks and gold does ... OK.

The above chart is for US data (stock total returns, US inflation etc.), I don't know of a UK equivalent site, but when applied to the UK was generally similar.

Will 2020's end with gold or stocks having been the 'winner' ??? Can't really predict that so the next best is to 50/50 both, be neither fully right nor fully wrong. I'd guess maybe gold, but don't care to go all-in on such a bet.

Another factor that tends to be over-looked is that at times of stress, high dividends and/or cash interest rates, so also do taxes tend to rise. Gold broadly offsets inflation via price appreciation, bonds do so via interest payments, as interest is a regular/consistent flow so that has tended to be more highly taxed than price appreciation (where you can defer selling until gains are being less punitively taxed).

Noteworthy is that over enough time (decades) the tendency is for 50/50 total returns to more align with whichever is the top line of stocks or gold, less a case of running midway between the two. Another factor is that rebalancing is a form of trading, where the tendency is to add-low/reduce-high. 1980 to 1999 whilst the price of gold was poor, rebalancing had you end 1999 with something like 7 times more ounces of gold than was being held at the start. In the 2000's that swung around, ounces of gold were reduced to buy more relatively cheaper stock shares.

6 minutes ago, Gruff said:

You mean his pocket change...

I’m sure he has at least a few dozen 1oz gold coins in the owl wallet