• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Lunar 2 Monkey Fake?

RoughDog

I have a Perth Mint Lunar 2 Monkey 1 oz 999 silver coin that I purchased from Chards a while back.

I have recently examined it and it looks like a fake to me.   It feels like a fake and it also sounds like a fake with the ping test.

I have a 1oz maple that sound correct with the ping test. 

This monkey has slight scratches on it that look very dubious.  

When considering that I have a 1 oz  maple that I have hit with a hammer as hard as I could about 10 times, thrown it on the floor, spun it round on table etc.

It is dented but there are no scratches on it and no brittleness to it.

I honestly believe I have a fake here and It was purchased from a dealer which is very worrying.

Thought or ideas?

I will post pictures of both coins later when I have charged my camera.

• RoughDog changed the title to Perth Mint Lunar 2 Monkey Fake?
9 minutes ago, mondy41 said:

I think you should remove the dealers name TBH.

If you are sure it’s a fake it’s will most likely be cooper under a few mm of plate so give it a good scrape and you will know

Just tried drilling a hole through it.  Dewalt drill wont go through it.  Bits start flaking off.  I would bet my life it's not 999 silver.

Guys i dont think the op meant to say that they sold him a fake on purpose (might be and might not be a fake). He just mentioned the company just as we all do when buying anything from anywhere. The op wanted advice, because we are a community and we share the same interest and hobby. I just feel sad sometimes that we have to be careful on what we say in here. That company is a business anyways and mentioning it or not is not a taboo and the op is a member in this forum. I dont mean any harm to anyone, i am just saying that we all can do mistakes. If it is against the rule her to mentioned the company, then we will abide after knowing that. 

26 minutes ago, motorbikez said:

@RoughDog  Have you contacted Chards about it, might be the way to go rather than bad mouthing them before you are completely sure its a fake.

Like I say.  It fails the ping test badly.  It doesn't look real.

If you want I can send it to you in the post for free.

It had some form of mark or spot on it when I purchased it.  I complained to Chards at the time and they refused a refund.  Too long ago now.

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

is it copper underneath?

HH

No.  It silver in color but it doesn't sound like silver.  When you have handled silver a lot you get a feel for it.

Like I say.  Someone can have it for free as I am sure I have more fakes anyway.

1 hour ago, RoughDog said:

I have a Perth Mint Lunar 2 Monkey 1 oz 999 silver coin that I purchased from Chards a while back.

It fails the ping test badly.  It doesn't look real.

A couple of things spring to mind;

Any reason you didn't notice the problems when you bought it? Lack of knowledge, experience at the time?

Is the capsule the same as other S1 lunars?

When did you buy it, could it have been part of original stock or an after market purchase?.

Do you have others of this type, could you have got this one mixed up with one from elsewhere.

Just thinking out loud, no criticism intended.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

35 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Like I say.  Someone can have it for free as I am sure I have more fakes anyway.

IMO This is a strange attitude to take.

If I had bought a fake from a reputable company, I would be all over them😉

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

IMO This is a strange attitude to take.

If I had bought a fake from a reputable company, I would be all over them😉

Like I say I argued with the dealer a lot at the time because it didn't have the original capsule either.  It rattles in the capsule, clearly not a Perth Mint capsule.  They were not good with their customer service and would not accept it back.  I purchased quite a few Perth Mint lunars from them and I have a feeling they are all fake but I need to investigate.

If the others are indeed fake I will give them away in trade section and pay postage myself.  I don't want paper metal.

4 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Like I say I argued with the dealer a lot at the time because it didn't have the original capsule either.  It rattles in the capsule, clearly not a Perth Mint capsule.  They were not good with their customer service and would not accept it back.  I purchased quite a few Perth Mint lunars from them and I have a feeling they are all fake but I need to investigate.

They should recognise and remember this batch then. If they do turn out to be all fake, I'm sure you have a very good case for recompense.

The worst thing a reputable company can do is get known as a seller of fake goods. They are aware of this.

Like I say I will gladly send it to people on the forum.  One each and I will pay the postage.  They can keep the coin fake or genuine.  I believe it is fake because it is nothing like my one ounce maple with I am 100% sure is genuine.

Like I say.  It fails the ping test badly.  It doesn't look real.

If you want I can send it to you in the post for free.

It had some form of mark or spot on it when I purchased it.  I complained to Chards at the time and they refused a refund.  Too long ago now.

No I don't want it pal, just offering you a suggestion. Put a photo up I'd be interested to see it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I really hope it's not silver now that you gone to it with the most destructive testing you possibly could lol. 

Have you tried a neodymium magnet? 

As everyone else has said sg test?

But if smashing it with a hammer and drilling the s#*t out of it is your style then so be it. Would love to see some photos of the destruction 

I do however agree with some above about having the coin confirmed as a fake before naming the dealer. 

Like I say I will gladly send it to people on the forum.  One each and I will pay the postage.  They can keep the coin fake or genuine.  I believe it is fake because it is nothing like my one ounce maple with I am 100% sure is genuine.

Your attitude is very puzzling to me. If it were me I'd try to contact the dealer and try to get this sorted out. As far as concluding the coin is a fake, comparing the ping to a maple then trying to drill a hole in it would not be my first choices of tests.

Archived