• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

US MINT SOLD OUT

Sherabnamdhak

THIS is worth noting from one of TSF well known dealer!!

Are supplies of physical gold in Britain about to dry up?

According to bullion broker Sharps Pixely, that’s not such a far-fetched idea:

Sharps Pixley estimates that there is only about 2 tonnes of small bars and coins in the UK - given the UK population is 66 million, this suggest there is only £1 per person readily available at any one time.

Should an economic ‘event’ occur, then we would expect demand would overwhelm the limited supplies which would dry-up overnight. 

3 hours ago, 5huggy said:

Sharps Pixley estimates that there is only about 2 tonnes of small bars and coins in the UK - given the UK population is 66 million, this suggest there is only £1 per person readily available at any one time.

Should an economic ‘event’ occur, then we would expect demand would overwhelm the limited supplies which would dry-up overnight. 

They sound like one of those mail order, catalogue "investment" dealers that deal to senior citizens, fear mongering, preying on the old and uninformed. Many here in the USA.

11 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

They sound like one of those mail order, catalogue "investment" dealers that deal to senior citizens, fear mongering, preying on the old and uninformed. Many here in the USA.

No that is not so i am afraid! - - Sharps Pixley are quite a "reasonable" and respected broker in the Uk!

I also believe (personally there isn't as much GLD or SLV) around as appears !

17 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Do you work for Sharps Pixley? 

Nope - but I am aware how much is being sucked up by central banks around the world and add private accumulations and this "finite" amount of gold could very well be in short supply "VERY QUICKLY" when a gazillion others with none - - try and purchase at the latter stages!

3 hours ago, 5huggy said:

if 10% of the population owns 90% of the wealth, then

where would the 90% population find the wealth overnight

to chase the gold price higher?

the facts may or may not be true but averaging out the

numbers like that won't produce the correct outcome.

HH

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

if 10% of the population owns 90% of the wealth

I respect and kinda agree what you are saying HH  but the "if" is significant  - - there are still an awful lot of individuals that  - - in a panic - - would come up with the funds (by whatever means to try and chase the purchase of PM's)  and the result would be!?

1 minute ago, Guybrush said:

Indeed and 10% of the wealth would want to get another 90% of the gold on top of what they already have :D

I will go with that too @Guybrush

I firmly believe that the "paper" pricing market of the Pm's far outweighs the amount of "TRUE" Physical out there and can only lead to an upward chase of the price from here!

45 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I respect and kinda agree what you are saying HH  but the "if" is significant  - - there are still an awful lot of individuals that  - - in a panic - - would come up with the funds (by whatever means to try and chase the purchase of PM's)  and the result would be!?

I was trying to be polite by using the word 'if'.

look at the facts: 10% of the population owns 90% of the

wealth. there is inequality in this world. we're not talking

about one vote per person here. theoretical make believe

worlds don't exist. if it came to the stage where things got

really ugly, then for 90% of the population savings via

pm's will not be the highest priority(I'm trying to be polite

again).

(focus on the 90% of the wealth, why bother with the 10% of

the wealth)

HH

I watched this the other day about why silver price will rise, it was one of those vids on Youtube that just autostarted after something else I was watching but I let it run in the background as I was doing something else.  It's one of Mike Maloneys guys so a metals pumper but he makes some good points.

I have just watched the video posted by @Scuzzle and the video below. There is a lot of YouTube videos that are very bullish on the PMs and make a lot of sense which is all good and well but I would not put all my eggs in the same basket have diversified portfolio and PMs long term hold (10+ years).

Will gold and silver really dry up in England in our lifetime? To say so shows an added interest in the subject this comment is trying to push. That's why I asked @5huggy if he/she worked for that shop. Like I mentioned, it's the same strategy the many US companies use to attract the elderly into investing in coins and PMs, often paying 100-200% premium. IMHO coin shops like Sharps Pixley should just sell coins, offer a discount code here and there maybe and should keep from making exaggerated and far reached claims about silver and gold that goes beyond just an add to try and sell more coins. Be nice and be honest. 

As a note, my comments are about the comments posted by @5huggy. Nothing else. I never shopped at Sharps Pixley and I doubt I ever will. As far as @5huggy, he/she is entitled to believe whatever they like. If you truly believe in your comments then so be it. Lately it seems the forum is getting a lot of newcomers trying to push something. The obvious. Always the same thing. 

There won't be a shortage of gold - gold is will simply go up in price if demand rises.

Silver on the other hand is being wasted at the moment. There are companies such as EnviroLeach Technologies and MINEWORX TECHNOLOGIES retrieving metal from electronics but a hell of a lot has been simply junked. If there were a big push in both investor demand and application usage i could see an actual shortage developing.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Any commodity given right set of circumstances can dry up I remember the 2000 petrol crisis graduated University driving from Manchester to London start a job hired a car only came with half tank fuel and desperately looking for petrol. Under normal circumstances commodities will not dry up but to say they never will implies not taken into consideration all the possibilities. PM world lot of pumpers and easy get sucked into everything in bubble and PM rise to the moon mindset.

Its kind of funny. The US mint runs out of silver every now and again. I wonder how long it would take people to figure it out if they really ran out of silver, for an extended period of time. Its like we are being conditioned...

On 24/02/2019 at 16:21, HawkHybrid said:

if 10% of the population owns 90% of the wealth, then

where would the 90% population find the wealth overnight

to chase the gold price higher?

the facts may or may not be true but averaging out the

numbers like that won't produce the correct outcome.

HH

Nail on the head, which is actually a real thing, and one of many reasons the precious metal standard was abandoned by every developed free-market economy. Any fear in the market and big players hoard the currency (described as the amalgamation of wealth back in the day). The ability to inflate fiat forces money back into economy to drive growth, a nice side effect also being to remove fiscal policy from super rich into the hands of a central bank. 

24 minutes ago, mr1030 said:

Amounts to the same thing when the Central Bank is owned by the super rich.

IF a central bank is owned by the super rich, or influenced by political pressure. In the States (I think in the UK and EU as well), there is supposed to be a firewall (what ever that means) between central banks and political institutions. The central banks aim for a certain amount of inflation in the context of economic activity, wording of a given charter not withstanding. 

When the system works like it's supposed to, central banks inject fiat into a contracting economy that allows small business to access credit and stimulate economic growth. It also makes hoarding capital a liability as its real value is decreasing, thus encouraging the super rich to invest their money into businesses that further stimulates economic growth. Conversely, if money supply freezes (which happens on a precious metal standard), no one has money to buy anything, businesses fail, less money to buy things while the rich save their money to protect wealth due to fear and a deflationary spiral sets in as prices continue to drop but no one has money to buy.

Historically, the only way out of the spiral is social unrest leading to a political reset (and the unpleasantness associated with that) or breaking of the monetary system to allow for inflation (as has happened more recently with an orderly transition off a given PM standard). 

Archived