• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay is it worth it?

fiveshotdon

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

Add the tracking number to the order.  You will win any eBay dispute.

Yea it was already added to the order as soon as I posted it, he signed for it at 1039 then opened a dispute at 1200 the same day, no contact with myself just straight to ebay! He only has 8 feedback from Poland, goes by the name of Adam or kamil! 

I still have the receipt for postage and as I don’t sell a lot of items, I record with my phone the whole packing process, I use a lot of black tape on my parcels (as I get it for free) so it would be hard to tamper with, i then weight the item at the end to show the exact weight. The receipt also shows what the weight of the parcel is so it clearly shows I haven’t swapped stuff round etc.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Shinus73 said:

I’ve sold thousands of items through eBay, never been scammed, but Royal Mail have lost a few.

If you’re selling PM’s online and delivering through the post, the biggest risk by far is the delivery company, not the customer.

May I ask which company and what level of delivery was it? Standard? Signed for? etc

11 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

I’ve sold thousands of items through eBay, never been scammed, but Royal Mail have lost a few.

If you’re selling PM’s online and delivering through the post, the biggest risk by far is the delivery company, not the customer.

Cant argue with that, royal mail signed for is a pain - posties often dont get signatures and just post through the letterbox if they can - some have realized that they can then say "item not received" even though they have the item..and silver is not covered so no chance of a claim from RM

Special delivery seems very good and never had a problem with it.

Just now, Madstacks said:

Cant argue with that, royal mail signed for is a pain - posties often dont get signatures and just post through the letterbox if they can - some have realized that they can then say "item not received" even though they have the item..

Postie may be putting a squiggle down then put it through the letterbox? to save time....I've recieved items through the post which should've been signed for the past.

nope i dont think so (though some do this), i have sent loads of items and received good feedback from them however tracking shows not delivered. most people are honest thankfully, but some will always exploit any potential freebies.

As a seller the only thing you can do is block people, i will block a buyer for anything, usually returns. 

9 hours ago, matrawr said:

Postie may be putting a squiggle down then put it through the letterbox? to save time....I've recieved items through the post which should've been signed for the past.

This happened me last week with something I bought, when I checked the tracking info it said it had been delivered at 7.40am and it wasn't until 12 midday that it came through the letterbox. Postie obviously signed for it before putting it in his bag that morning. Not sure I'm too happy about that to be honest, but having worked as a courier before I've done similar things so not sure if I should complain lol

14 hours ago, fiveshotdon said:

In this case I raised a return and eBay just told me to send it back and I’ll get a refund. It didn’t offer me a return postage so I just sent it out of my pocket. Disappointed as i wanted the set but it’s in scrap condition. 

You can get the return shipping refunded if you paid by PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal-'return-shipping-on-us'-and-how-do-i-activate-it-faq3544

I do not sell to people with below 10 or even 15 feedback as i have had people with no or very low feedback say that there PayPal account had been hacked and that they never made a eBay account and i have had people leave it 5 months and put in a claim thinking that i would not keep proof of postage that long and people saying they have just moved house and not updated the address and can i send it to there new address. The biggest scam i have seen is people buying silver then saying its fake to ebay and refusing to rerun the item saying its illegal to use the royal mail to post fake items. Ebay tells them to destroy the item and gives them a refund. Me i will travel any wear to get my item back and always just refund the buyer if i dont fell 100% happy with the situation. But over all im happy with ebay and have had very little trouble just dont leave yourself open to scams as there are a lot of chancers out there 

shouldn't there be a limit on claims for missing items,damaged item claims etc.5 months to work out your item is damaged or lost  :P:P:P

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

made a eBay account and i have had people leave it 5 months and put in a claim thinking that i would not keep proof of postage

4 minutes ago, blackadder said:

shouldn't there be a limit on claims for missing items,damaged item claims etc

Yes paypal say that you have to keep proof of postage for 6 months

4 hours ago, Gordon said:

I do not sell to people with below 10 or even 15 feedback as i have had people with no or very low feedback say that there PayPal account had been hacked and that they never made a eBay account and i have had people leave it 5 months and put in a claim thinking that i would not keep proof of postage that long and people saying they have just moved house and not updated the address and can i send it to there new address. The biggest scam i have seen is people buying silver then saying its fake to ebay and refusing to rerun the item saying its illegal to use the royal mail to post fake items. Ebay tells them to destroy the item and gives them a refund. Me i will travel any wear to get my item back and always just refund the buyer if i dont fell 100% happy with the situation. But over all im happy with ebay and have had very little trouble just dont leave yourself open to scams as there are a lot of chancers out there 

I had an eBay seller post me a fake silver eagle and asked me to post it back to him, which I didn't as it's illegal to post known fake goods in the post. He was from Derby and never followed it up as he was clearly in the wrong.

I did give him photos of what he sent me and posted it on the forum at the time but it would be annoying if which you sent out as genuine was then told to you that it arrived fake, I'd definitely not drop the matter and follow it up. Nothing worse than being scammed and being called a liar.

16 hours ago, matrawr said:

If you ring & put in a complain they’ll get put on the right track, from what I’m aware if a postie gets to many warnings they get sacked. Last year every package I received from SD would be posted through the letterbox after a lengthly discussion all is in order 😁

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

16 hours ago, Madstacks said:

nope i dont think so (though some do this), i have sent loads of items and received good feedback from them however tracking shows not delivered. most people are honest thankfully, but some will always exploit any potential freebies.

As a seller the only thing you can do is block people, i will block a buyer for anything, usually returns. 

I’ll block you for being rude, works well due to past experiences you tend to have issues with these certain types after the packages have been delivered.

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

42 minutes ago, StackSellRepeat said:

I’ll block you for being rude, works well due to past experiences you tend to have issues with these certain types after the packages have been delivered.

Yes me too, il also block for a silly low offer as these types sometimes try and haggle of more for "imperfections" after they have received the item.

I also limit the amount people can buy from me to 2 items per month (until i know and trust them) I once had a chinese buyer buy over 100 of my items in one go - needless to say i did not send them. 

14 minutes ago, FFkook said:

Is there any way to find the "webstores" from members in ebay? Still not sure about ebay though as I can't tell a fake.. 

Or you could find TSF members on ebay if they don't want to sell on here?

I have said it many times - buying from ebay is usually just a recipe for disappointment. Yes, you could quibble each time you want to return something but who t.f. has time to do that? Just buy from a reputable dealer. 

I have bought and sold many things and been 99 percent happy. 

PM’s are a different matter.  There are a lot of fake coins and bars on eBay and perhaps people have a similar experience to me.... go back to the seller and tell them the coin is fake and they don’t want it back and refund you. 

I don’t use eBay for PM’s anymore

best

dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, vand said:

I have said it many times - buying from ebay is usually just a recipe for disappointment. Yes, you could quibble each time you want to return something but who t.f. has time to do that? Just buy from a reputable dealer. 

I’ve got loads of bargains from eBay (lots of silver at spot or less) since I started stacking. But then I spend half my working life on eBay so it’s no big deal for me :) 

Archived