• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay is it worth it?

fiveshotdon

47 minutes ago, fiveshotdon said:

He didn’t provide me with it. I clicked return the item, provided the reason and description and eBay immediately accepted the return and gave me the address to send it to. It does sound credible that he didn’t correctly update his account and eBay just dished his old details out to me. But now I guess eBay won’t refund because it’s down to me to get the item back. There is no way of me escalating the issue to eBay in my account despite eBay saying there should be in various documentation online. Not a chance in hell im buying from eBay again.

If that is the returns address you should be covered regardless of the fact he says he no longer lives there. If you get no joy there might be something on trading standards

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

It’s the sellers responsibility to keep their addresses updated.  eBay don’t know if someone has moved house and not updated their address.

As per @DaveWheat89‘s account, eBay should side with you as the buyer.

You can escalate the case after a number of days but don’t wait for that, phone them up.  They have 24/7 support so you can phone them now.

as far as i was concerned, my addresses were up to do date, my delivery address was my current address, i had no idea there was a second and third address option under registration address or registered address and delivery address (which i later found was blank) by default, the buyer got hold of that rather than an address i have been receiving deliveries to for 7 + years, i dont think it was fair i didnt even get a chance to confirm an address, i wont be selling on ebay again, buyer simply changed there mind but used the counterfeit return option to bypass the returns system, typical ebay side with buyer most times, 10 + years, 100% seller feedback now i lose out

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

21 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

as far as i was concerned, my addresses were up to do date, my delivery address was my current address, i had no idea there was a second and third address option under registration address or registered address and delivery address (which i later found was blank) by default, the buyer got hold of that rather than an address i have been receiving deliveries to for 7 + years, i dont think it was fair i didnt even get a chance to confirm an address, i wont be selling on ebay again, buyer simply changed there mind but used the counterfeit return option to bypass the returns system, typical ebay side with buyer most times, 10 + years, 100% seller feedback now i lose out

It’s a tricky one, I agree.  Although it is an individuals responsibility to ensure addresses are up to date, eBay really don’t make it easy to access all the addresses they hold for you.  There are several places within account settings where addresses are stored.  They should make it more user friendly.

It works both ways though.  As a business seller I occasionally get customers asking where their order is.  My first response is to ask them to confirm their address.  I had one just recently who when confirming their address, gave me a completely different one to the address eBay had given us for the order.  They had moved house 6 months prior but the old address was given to us.  eBay sided with us, the seller, as there was no possible way we could have known the customer had moved to a different address and we posted in good faith.

Condition of coins can be a big issue on Ebay, i would always suggest sending a message to the seller asking clear and direct questions about the coin prior to bidding / buying and ask for more photos if you are not sure.

And of course i guess there are quite a few selling coins on Ebay who are not really " coin people " who consider a coin to be very good condition but by our standards it is far from it.

You only have to look at  the wild prices people ask for some coins on Ebay to judge that they are either hoping to make a quick buck from the unsuspecting  or have very little knowledge of the market. 

There are some very reputable people selling good quality coins on Ebay but also some not so good, you just need to be careful, have a good look at feedback and don't rush into purchases that you think may be a bargain because in reality they are probably not !

5 minutes ago, fiveshotdon said:

For anyone interested this is what the coins looked like described as pristine condition.

19F40982-F89F-4493-B909-A47B7CC7322A.jpeg

9E4D4174-7870-4EE5-A58B-1F7D660266A5.jpeg

Condition looks fine to me, all silver will tarnish over time, toning is easy cleaned woth some baking soda and foil or e zest coin cleaner dip

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

4 minutes ago, DaveWheat89 said:

Condition looks fine to me, all silver will tarnish over time, toning is easy cleaned woth some baking soda and foil or e zest coin cleaner dip

I’d never want to clean a proof. My plan was to slab them.

this was the listing photo to compareBC449D7E-30F3-416D-905E-9BAE82AC6552.thumb.png.68507affbec8765bb3e1d0e35a0dce5f.png

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:13, fiveshotdon said:

I just had my second eBay failure. A 1997 proof Britannia silver boxed with COA. This was described as in pristine condition. Photos looked ok but received today and the coins were in awful condition, all brownish except the 1oz which Was the only coin I would say was in acceptable condition based on the photos and description. What are your experiences with inaccurate descriptions? Is it even worth buying off eBay?

Here is what I do. And I do win a lot of auctions and have bought a lot of silver coins off of Ebay with zero issues.

Click on the ad that you want and open the page:

1.  Look at the area on the right labeled "seller information". 

If their rating is not 99.5% or higher- MOVE ON!    99.5% rating for at least 5000 sales. 99.6% for 2500 or less sales 99.8% or higher for 1000 or less sales.

THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. HONEST AND UPRIGHT SALESMEN WANT GREAT FEEDBACK! AND WILL GO TO ALMOST ANY LENGTH TO ACHIEVE THAT.

SELLERS THAT HAVE EXTREMELY HIGH SALES NUMBERS WILL HAVE SOME NEGATIVE FEEDBACK, ITS INNEVITABLE. BUT AGAIN, IF SOMETHING DOESNT SEEM RIGHT MOVE ON!

2. Click on the sellers name and read through the negative feedback.  If something doesn't seem right there IS A REASON. MOVE ON!

3. READ THE FULL DESCRIPTION AND CONDITION OF THE ITEM!!!   

IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS AFTER READING THE ITEMS CONDITION, MOVE ON!!

4. THE GOLDEN RULE:  IF SOMETHING SEEMS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS!  MOVE ON.

5. ITEM LOCATION:  WHERE IS IT SHIPPING FROM?  THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET IS NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BUY FROM. TRY AND KEEP IT AS LOCAL AS POSSIBLE.

EXAMPLE:   I AM IN THE STATES, I "ONLY" BUY IN THE USA. I KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF HONEST PEOPLE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET BUT THERE IS WAY TO MUCH THAT CAN GO WRONG BETWEEN HERE AND THERE. PROBLEMS ARE MORE EASILY RECTFIED IF THEY ARE CLOSER TO HOME.

6. SCROLL DOWN TOO "Item specifics"   READ THROUGH THIS SECTION SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

7. UPRIGHT SELLERS WILL POST AS MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THE PRODUCT AS POSSIBLE. TO BE HONEST IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE COIN OR BAR AFTER READING THROUGH ALL THAT, SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT. MOVE ON!!

8. RETURNS:   IF THEY STATE, "WE DO NOT ACCEPT RETURNS"  MOVE ON!!   I HAVE NOT DEALT WITH ONE HONEST SELLER ON EBAY THAT WOULD NOT ACCEPT A RETURN.

I KNOW ITS EBAYS POLICY THAT THEY HAVE TO BUT HONEST SELLERS WILL SAY THEY ACCEPT RETURNS.

9. IF THE PHOTOS SUCK, THERE IS A REASON.  MOVE ON!! COINS SHOULD HAVE SEVERAL UP CLOSE PHOTOS SHOWING ALL OF THE DETAIL.

10. IS THE COIN OR BAR IN THE PHOTO THE "ACTUAL COIN OR BAR"?  IF ITS A STOCK PHOTO, I WOULD MOVE ON...

I HAVE THIS PROCESS DOWN TO WHERE I CAN VET A SELLER IN JUST A FEW MINUTES BUT TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ THE AD SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

REMEMBER IF ANY RED FLAGS GO UP IN YOUR BRAIN, MOVE ON!!

LARGER DOLLAR PURCHASES I WILL ONLY GO THROUGH ONE OF THE LARGER ONLINE DEALERS. SOME OF WHICH ALSO SELL ON EBAY.

REGARDLESS OF WHO I BUY FROM, WHEN I GET IT, IT GETS WEIGHED AND TESTED. ALWAYS...

Archived