• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Disgraceful Replica Sales

dicker

Yep I couldn't agree more. Problem is someone will get them and probably try to pass them off as genuine at some point. Here is one I have in my watch list. Really not sure what these people were thinking bidding on it at all. Much disappointment will follow its arrival I expect

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Maple-Leaf-Silver-Coin-1oz/292708148539?hash=item4426c3e53b:g:bJ8AAOSwwNtbgoOd

59 minutes ago, dicker said:

The description says it all. At least they aren't passing it off as a real Morgan. As far as if it'd fool some people, it's in the interest of each and every new collector to research the coin and learn a bit more than just looking at pictures.

4 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Oh man. Fake as margarine.

Funnily enough, the first silver I ever bought through eBay was a JM bar that turned out to be fake.  It failed a magnet test when I got it which prompted me to look in to it more.  Very easy to get caught out when a noob.

1 minute ago, Goldhooked said:

Funnily enough, the first silver I ever bought through eBay was a JM bar that turned out to be fake.  It failed a magnet test when I got it which prompted me to look in to it more.  Very easy to get caught out when a noob.

I see that now. Good thing I stick to buying foreign coins mainly on ebay. 

30 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Can't these fakes be reported to ebay and the listings pulled, and the sellers kept an eye on (at least)?

I regularly report the blatant fake coins I see being sold on there but eBay really doesn't seem to care. I started a thread here last week asking if there is anything beyond reporting that can be done but it seems like the answer is no. I was prompted to start that thread after seeing a fake 1oz Maple that could easily catch someone out who doesn't know the line. The coin was being sold as legitimate but after my partner and I both reported it and I messaged the seller the listing carried on to its conclusion where it sold for £16. Someone who doesn't know any better will be very disappointed when they learn.

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

£50 for a fake!!!  Do you think they even know it’s a fake?!

Yeah the sellers trying to blindingly rip someone off just by listing it at £50 for starters and the 1oz variety I've always known to have a serial number however I've seen once on ebay where the serial was a reddish colour which was so long ago I suspected was a fake note to all if the serial is coloured I would be weary of that too. But I know not all JM's have serials which is usually the larger varieties. 

Hello, I just recieved a morgan that falls slightly below weight at  26.4/5.

It is not worn down an looks VF to me. Any thoughts as to its being real? It passed the ping test and is not magnetic. Slides correctly.20180906_141304.thumb.jpg.708db1bb9c60b21892cb91fc3b7c1488.jpg20180906_145851.thumb.jpg.c7b35e4eebe13d8d8b4aa2a78b7992f4.jpg20180906_145857.thumb.jpg.311c56519c9cddfbc9dce125454cb771.jpg

Thank you for helping:)

Ty

"as above, So below"

20180906_145904.jpg

36 minutes ago, BeggarsTomb said:

Hello, I just recieved a morgan that falls slightly below weight at  26.4/5.

It is not worn down an looks VF to me. Any thoughts as to its being real? It passed the ping test and is not magnetic. Slides correctly.20180906_141304.thumb.jpg.708db1bb9c60b21892cb91fc3b7c1488.jpg20180906_145851.thumb.jpg.c7b35e4eebe13d8d8b4aa2a78b7992f4.jpg20180906_145857.thumb.jpg.311c56519c9cddfbc9dce125454cb771.jpg

Thank you for helping:)

Ty

"as above, So below"

20180906_145904.jpg

I've got a fairly worn one as well which also comes in lighter than usual. You see the reeded edges? If you see that some are incomplete that's a warning sign. As you may or not be aware silver is diamagnetic meaning there is a very slight attraction could you confirm that? You could also do a specific gravity test. But it seems okay by just looking at the images.

There is a slightly odd line or two running under her neck and chin?  If this is tooling marks on the die it would be clumsy given the rest of the coin looks ok. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Hello Dicker,✌️😁

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate you fellows looking at it I also  hope I'm using the forom correctly in my method of answering as well. 😀🙄

My thoughts exactly in regard to the strange lines. They seem like someone was cleaning it in a half hearted way . It does not overall have a cleaned appearance. (polish marks or that noise around the Legends I see in cleaned coins.). I just did not know for sure if the level of wear was congruent with the weight loss . I have seen coins that weigh less but they usually do not look this nice, detailed and thick. The Reeds almost look too good. It is my determination that whether or not it is fake, it is made of silver. 

The dealer that I bought the coin from is a reputable and  professional seller  with thousands  of coin sales with 100% good reviews.  This coin did not cost me much money, It's just the principle of the matter..... And protecting my buyers from disappointment. The dealer was a complete gentleman and very well-spoken. He informed me that the weight was within the acceptable range of the wear. They have techniques for detecting fakes they feel are 100% foolproof,  I know that this is just hearsay but my Spidey Sense is usually pretty good when people are shady. 😀  I feel that the seller is honest.   

I'm being extra cautious as I just had someone tell me that a coin I sold weighed over. they're sending it back for inspection and I expect it any day now,  I will post a picture of it as well. I usually bench check them pretty well,  now that I realize how flooded the market is with very high-quality counterfeits. I have been doing a high detail check of each individual coin and round when I acquire them. I'm looking forward to seeing the other one when it arrives. Thanks again for all the input.

I hope this day finds you and yours smiling.😀

Ty

Archived