• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 proof Sovereign - 65th coronation "crown privy"

sovereignsteve

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought he gave his review a few pages back already, so if he’s not buying how can he review something he doesn’t have in the hand?
Is his yes it’s great or no it’s bad a deal breaker before a decision is made? 

Mine arrives tomorrow. Will do another video when I have the coin. Will be able to do a nice review this week of the Rwanda dogs as 3 Gold ones arrived today. rather nice [emoji1303]

1 minute ago, shortstack68 said:

I thought he gave his review a few pages back already, so if he’s not buying how can he review something he doesn’t have in the hand?

Not judging its aesthetics I guess but rather the investment side 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

38 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Mine arrives tomorrow. Will do another video when I have the coin. Will be able to do a nice review this week of the Rwanda dogs as 3 Gold ones arrived today. rather nice emoji1303.png

Can you please review this coin for me

you will not affect my buying decision :ph34r:

IMG_9867.JPG

IMG_9868.JPG

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I think it is wonderful to consider what all Forum members have to say about any coins.  I like to keep an open mind and learn as much as possible, this Forum is certainly, generally, a great place to do that.

I am sure we are all very capable of making decisions - whether good or bad - about what we buy, but it is fantastic to have the views of those who put a lot of positive energy into sharing their opinions. 

I look forward to the "in hand" review @Numistacker

4 hours ago, whitesands1 said:

Hi, yes, of course.

I was struggling with the light in North Britain this afternoon.  Here are the highlights......... I really like the "65" in the Crown!

treasure.jpg

treasure.1.jpg

treasure.2.jpg

Thanks very much, I appreciate it. Their literature is always so well produced, it makes you want to buy everything :)

The second wave.....knew it. You will never see another King or Queen of the land reign as long as 65 years again (unless she makes it to 70 years in charge up til 2023 - and that is the gamble you take by not buying one now because they almost certainly wont do a 66,67,68,69 years anniversary coin - or maybe they will but you don't know)

8 minutes ago, Oldun said:

The second wave.....knew it. You will never see another King of Queen of the land reign as long as 65 years again (unless she makes it to 70 years in charge up til 2023 - and that is the gamble you take by not buying one now because they almost certainly wont do a 66,67,68,69 years anniversary coin - or maybe they will but you don't know)

I think that is the best reply I have seen in two days 

20 minutes ago, GrahamDiamond said:

This 2018 Sovereign is NOT Available from Westminster or Chard, SOLD OUT!!.

chard still have them for pre order https://www.chards.co.uk/2018-gold-sovereign-sovereign-proof/3054

westminister was doing 12 months .zero percent credit for first 300 people that's why they sold out 

24 minutes ago, Oldun said:

The second wave.....knew it. You will never see another King or Queen of the land reign as long as 65 years again (unless she makes it to 70 years in charge up til 2023 - and that is the gamble you take by not buying one now because they almost certainly wont do a 66,67,68,69 years anniversary coin - or maybe they will but you don't know)

I have just pinged an email off to The Royal Mint asking them if they will be celebrating the Queen's 66th,67th,68th and 69th years on the throne on a sovereign coin or wait until The Queen makes it to 70 years on the throne. Will take at least a week to get a reply so don't hold your breath.

3 minutes ago, Oldun said:

I have just pinged an email off to The Royal Mint asking them if they will be celebrating the Queen's 66th,67th,68th and 69th years on the throne on a sovereign coin or wait until The Queen makes it to 70 years on the throne. Will take at least a week to get a reply so don't hold your breath.

I am sure they won't do any of those. They have done a special reverse for 50 and 60 but only managed a little privy for 65 so I'm sure they will save the next reverse for 70, which she will probably make:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 minutes ago, Oldun said:

don't forget queens 95th birthday 

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

not sure that will be a sovereign, well maybe a sotd with normal design, which i don't count as is really a commemorative.

they have done ( something ) about the 2016 sov proof though

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands!

From my bedtime reading, last night.......

In the mailshot from RM there is a comment on "Prized and Rare" mint marks.  The final paragraph states that the Sovereign is only struck by the Royal Mint at Llantrisant, and mint marks are now a rare addition to the Sovereign.

In a bit of a cross over to the thread on 2017 Indian Sovereign - these have the "I" mint mark and the 2017 Bullion Sovereign has the "200" mint mark - neither of these coins are rare. 

Additionally, the India Sovereigns have been minted, in India, since 2013.

So in summary hold on to you "error" mailshots to add value to your 2018 Proof Sovereigns!

prized and rare.jpg

27 minutes ago, whitesands1 said:

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands!

From my bedtime reading, last night.......

In the mailshot from RM there is a comment on "Prized and Rare" mint marks.  The final paragraph states that the Sovereign is only struck by the Royal Mint at Llantrisant, and mint marks are now a rare addition to the Sovereign.

In a bit of a cross over to the thread on 2017 Indian Sovereign - these have the "I" mint mark and the 2017 Bullion Sovereign has the "200" mint mark - neither of these coins are rare. 

Additionally, the India Sovereigns have been minted, in India, since 2013.

So in summary hold on to you "error" mailshots to add value to your 2018 Proof Sovereigns!

prized and rare.jpg

I am giving this a bit of thought “off the top of my head”, so take what I’m saying with a pinch of salt :)

From Wikipedia: “A privy mark was originally a small mark or differentiation in the design of a coin for the purpose of identifying the mint, moneyer, or some other aspect of the coin's production or origin, for control purposes. Nowadays it is mainly used as a design and marketing feature.”

Given the history of the Sovereign, one may say the 2017 Bullion Sovereign’s Anniversary “mint mark” was really meant as a design/marketing feature and has nothing to do with identifying the minting facility (they all came from Llantrisant). So it’s more of a “privy” than a “mint mark”.

I’d say the 65 Crown is also a “privy” rather than a “mint mark”.

As the booklet says, the mint mark was used to denote the minting location (city or country) where a Sovereign was struck. The last time before 2013 that a mint mark appeared on a Sovereign was in 1932.

So looking at the 2013 - 2017 India Sovereigns from that perspective, the booklet’s statement does seem to ring true that the addition of a mint mark is a rarity. It’s happened only once in the last 70 years.

But the Royal Mint is calling the new 65 Crown a “mint mark”, and they also refer to the 200 Anniversary Shield as a “mint mark”, whereas the Royal Mint Bullion correctly idenifies the 200 Anniversary Shield as a “privy mark”.

In conclusion, I don’t have a conclusion and am more confused than before I started writing this post :D 

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The Royal Mint is calling the new 65 Crown a “mint mark”, and they also refer to the 200 Anniversary Shield as a “mint mark”, whereas the Royal Mint Bullion correctly idenifies the 200 Anniversary Shield as a “privy mark”.

In conclusion, I don’t have a conclusion and am more confused than before I started writing this post :D 

Sometimes there are more questions than answers!

To add further confusion the Marketing Booklet further defines "The Meaning of Mint Marks" to help identify the provenance of the metal or the mint.

So I'd agree that the mark is a Privy rather than a Mint.

mint.jpg

http://www.coin-collecting-guide-for-beginners.com/use-of-mint-marks.html

One example of the use of mint marks is the Privy Marks used by many mints of the world.

A privy mark is a symbol used on a coin that is unique to a specific mint.

So think of the future and not just the past. Some of you are not taking the future into consideration. Mint production facilities change locations or new ones appear or disappear throughout history and no doubt in the future.

just received one of my order today, yea great privy marks and mint marks ...+ extra mint marks ...........hence return 
They must lose lots of money just refunding postage costs back to them. I sent my half back yesterday & ordered another as they say it takes 10-14 days to process so it went back for refund & got the other through Topcashback so also saved £5.25......if this one comes perfect.

1 minute ago, shawy2510 said:
3 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:
just received one of my order today, yea great privy marks and mint marks ...+ extra mint marks ...........hence return 

They must lose lots of money just refunding postage costs back to them. I sent my half back yesterday & ordered another as they say it takes 10-14 days to process so it went back for refund & got the other through Topcashback so also saved £5.25......if this one comes perfect.

that's why they charge u extra premium for the coin , when u return about 4th time their quality control team will ring u :D

Just now, fehk2001 said:

that's why they charge u extra premium for the coin , when u return about 4th time their quality control team will ring u :D

6 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

Sorry to hear about that as @shawy2510   says quite an inefficient process and it really spoils your enjoyment. 

What happens when they call you - do this ensure you get a good coin? 

Archived