• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Swan PROOF Coin ON SALE NOW!

MexStack

[mention=3235]mongo28[/mention] pmed if any left after [mention=3048]649tom[/mention] and [mention=3354]HyHy[/mention] 
we should get them delivered to one of us then will pass on ? 

Definitely Steve !

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PolarPanda said:

People are not giving up on coin collecting, in the opposite. Look at the amount of new members coming every day to this and other forums. Look at the huge interest there is on social media pages and Youtube channels about coins. The mintages on some coins have never been so big and they (almost) all sell out. I think you have a lot of frustration about this coin and in one way you are totally right, but it's not fair to reflect this on the market as it's own. It's just a bitchy move from APMEX and the Perth Mint, but that doesn't make the interest in this coin less. 90 percent of the peoples that complain about this coin will eventually buy it, the rest is pure business. 

:lol::lol::lol: I feel no FRUSTRATION about this coin.   Seen them come and go.  I will not buy this coin unless I see it at 10-20% above spot  on a upwards market, does nothing for me.  

Actually  there are less coin collectors than 20 years ago. 

You don't know how many of the youtube, social media driven pages are dealers themselves? Just because they appear to be collectors this does not mean so. 

'They nearly always sell out', thats what the Mint wants to happen so asks yourself why the Mint doesn't increase the mintage to increase profits?  

I have watched some of these Youtube Vlogs pumping coins and one would think the said coins were as rare as a Da Vinci    

2 hours ago, HyHy said:

I PMed him for one as well if both of us git it probably we should combine shipment?

Totally depends on price for me though. We have to include vat into the equation also. 

The coin is nice, but the way it has been marketed and sold by Ampex demonstrates a problem with new releases. The fact people are buying many multiples of them to sell on at an inflated prices says everything about the state of the 'collectors' market - new release coins are being used as speculative vehicles and that is not healthy in the long run for the coin market or the hobby imo. It is nearly always the case that new releases are bought quickly from mints and appear on the secondary market at inflated prices, that is putting a lot of people off. This is especially a problem when it is a series of coins, that will not be good long term for initial investors buying at twice the price today. 

(not sure if this particular coin will be a series, perhaps this is a bad example :P)

The silver swan proof is a nice coin for a collector to have and enjoy, but I think flippers will be disappointed in ebay sales (unless maybe they got it under 100 when it was first released).  I personally don't have a big issue with Apmex (strategically) jacking up the price, but it does say something about the company, and it might leave a bad impression for many.  Comes across as a dirty trick or dishonest (and playing on the FOMO psychology).  On the flip side, I think if you make a purchase you should own it, be responsible for your own choice no matter the price.  Still, for more common coins, I'll probably look elsewhere if I can find it from a competitor of theirs.

Hi Mongo. 
What's the total price for 2 x swans shipped to the UK?
Sorry guys, rough night with the baby so I didn't have time to respond... All of my coins sold within several hours...@Pampfan was the only one to contact me fast enough...

And I will say these are very nice coins if you haven't seen them in person.

22 hours ago, KDave said:

The coin is nice, but the way it has been marketed and sold by Ampex demonstrates a problem with new releases. The fact people are buying many multiples of them to sell on at an inflated prices says everything about the state of the 'collectors' market - new release coins are being used as speculative vehicles and that is not healthy in the long run for the coin market or the hobby imo. It is nearly always the case that new releases are bought quickly from mints and appear on the secondary market at inflated prices, that is putting a lot of people off. This is especially a problem when it is a series of coins, that will not be good long term for initial investors buying at twice the price today. 

(not sure if this particular coin will be a series, perhaps this is a bad example :P)

I have to say that @KDave captured the essence of one part of the secondary market with this comment. I loved the bullion Swan so when I heard about the proof I knew I wanted one.  But then I started thinking of buying a bunch of 4 or 5 to flip (as I was just in the US and they were available) given the surge of interest and limited mintage. However, in the end I just focussed on my own collection and bought one only.  I feel OK with that as a decision for now.  Hope I feel the same in a year or so if I see them selling for £200 a piece if they launch a Proof series! 

One needs to understand that the market for modern “collectible” coins and medals is totally contrived. Limitations restrictions rarity mintage are all fully contrived to obtain the highest possible ROI for the investor.

Apmex is both a trader and a sponsor and makes a market in packaged collectibles.

Britannia 2 Coin Set
Libertad reverse proof set
Swan Proof

In the case of the swan proof this appears to have been made ONLY due to Apmex and the mint retained some coins for local sale.

Why did this happen? We the collectors and stackers went weak at the knees for the “low” mintage bullion coin. The more we buy and the more we enthuse the more opportunities exist for Apmex, Royal Mint and others to capitalize and improve ROI.

Many mints except USA perhaps that are governed by Congress will “contrive” to order. RM works with USA based IRA pension metals companies to “generate” limited collectibles like privy Britannias.

I have always said be very careful as even at the issue price most items will be a financial loss. Hyped items like the RWANDA Lunars or the Swan Proof can be winners but hype dies down and fashion becomes unfashionable.

What wins?

Mistakes and Misjudgments where buyers are massively more interested than mints and sponsors predict.

Relative rarities where something goes wrong or even contrived relative rarities.

Classical coins that are rare and beautiful and have a 10+ years auction price growth.

My conclusions

Buy what you like and what you think others will like now and in the future.

Buy based on value offered and the strength of the story. Swans have a strong story but do they offer value pricing? I would suggest buyers at current levels can’t unload at 20% more (to account for the cost of sales) so may take a loss.

Beware one off commemorative editions that have no strong theme offering.

27 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

One needs to understand that the market for modern “collectible” coins and medals is totally contrived. Limitations restrictions rarity mintage are all fully contrived to obtain the highest possible ROI for the investor.

I have to admit I bought 1 swan proof for myself, but I'm starting to move away from modern "rarities" and focus more on coins with real history.  To make amends for my swan purchase, I later bought a 20 Lire gold coin from the 19th century :D Feel better now!

I am swerving modern silver semi numismatic coins like the plague.....only exception I made was Phil’s retirement coin as it is an original design from a bygone age and one his son approved :lol:of I believe (unverified).

6 hours ago, Oldun said:

I am swerving modern silver semi numismatic coins like the plague.....only exception I made was Phil’s retirement coin as it is an original design from a bygone age and one his son approved :lol:of I believe (unverified).

I see he drove there himself. Could have parked outside though.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

These kind of spivvy antics make coins into fashion items, this season's must have coiture enjoying a twinkle in the limelight then onto the newest thing. Presuming pockets are deep enough?. There is some soul in coins that have stood the test of time and carry history, also crafted with genuine artistry. But... Kind of like swans so might make an exception i imagine that's what they are relying on☺

Archived