• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

10 oz silver bar or coin - Una and the Lion, Britannia coin or Kookaburra

10 oz silver bar or coins  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you choose?

• Una and the Lion
    • Britannia
    • Kookaburra

Just interested to see what people's opinions are on this. I'm looking to buy a 10 oz piece of silver, which will either be the new Una and the Lion bar, a Britannia coin or a Kookaburra coin. I have found that on the Royal Mint website, the new Una and the Lion bar is £322.08 (including VAT) and a 10 oz Kookaburra is around £280 both on TSF and with dealers. I also considered 10 oz silver Britannia coin (around £280 from dealers or perhaps less on TSF) as it will be CGT exempt, but there is the issue of milk spots on Royal Mint silver, which I have found is the case with a couple of my own pieces of silver. It will probably be less likely that a Kookaburra is less likely to milk spot than the Britannia coin or the Una and the Lion bar. Plus, I collect Kookaburras.

A few questions:

- Is it worth spending a bit extra for the Una and the Lion bar?

- Is it Kookaburra less likely to develop milk spots?

- Should I get a Britannia coin, regardless of whether it milk spots or not?

Edited by ZEE123

In my opinion, it's only worth spending extra for the Una bar if you actually like the design.  I doubt whether it would retain its premium when and if you come to sell.  If you collect Kookaburras, that would seem the obvious choice.
I like 10oz silver coins and bars, but choose them very sparingly.  For me, I prefer the older version of the 10oz Britannia coin (without the security features) but the current one is nice as well.  Regarding the Una bar, I prefer the earlier version and won't be adding this one to my collection.

If it was my own money and my own collection, out of the three choices I'd go Britannia - but that's because I don't collect Kooks and don't wish to start!

The older Una bars are limited mintage and arguably nicer design, seemingly better quality. You can probably get an older 10oz Una for the same price or less than the RM price of a new one.

Brittania is the best bullion value and CGT free if that matters to you. I wouldn't care if it milk spots and would prefer the security features - but that's just me.

You're probably right about the Kookaburra having less chance of milk spots, but nothing guaranteed. 

My choice would depend on the best deal I could find, preferrably the Brit or the old Una. Patience usually pays off, but don't blame me if you sit patiently and then silver goes parabolic (incredibly unlikely)

Edited by SilverJacks

I like larger bits of silver like 10oz as they feel great in the hand compared to 1oz or 2oz coins, even 100g silver gives some nice weight

I'm a stacker more than a collector so that rules out Una and her Lion, although I would like to join them next time they do a night out in Liverpool

Britannia 10oz or Kookaburra 10oz? 

I like them both and I think your prices are too high. I've seen both sell on TSF for £250-260 and £220-250 on the Brits IIRC (bars not coins). @theman73 could probably sell you one or both right now. I think on Brits (bars) I paid £240 maybe including shipping (different seller)

With none of them giving you CGT-exemption (other than 10oz Britannia coins) you can choose whatever you want. I don't think you can go far wrong with any but with my money I'm probably buying the Britannia or the Kook based on value. Una and her Lion might go up more in price than the others but that's speculative

Edited by HonestMoneyGoldSilver
bars/coins/CGT

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Am taking this thread as an excuse to post up a picture of my 10 oz silver (plus kilo QB completer) as food for thought.  

Personally, my two favourites are the 10 oz QB completer and the 10 oz 2018 Valiant with its incuse design, but I love all these pieces of silver.

I prefer the dimensions of the 10 oz coins over the kilo coin.  The kilo coin is fantastic, but it's more of a cylinder than a coin.

Food for thought for the OP perhaps 🙂

PM Big Silver.JPG

Just now, theman73 said:

You should buy what you like.

Personally, I like this one over many 10oz bars or coins.

20240303_144226.thumb.jpg.363fd15029b2aa98dcf983898d599cf5.jpg

20240303_144301.thumb.jpg.9630564ee4bacbfd75d77fec97c0d4aa.jpg

I'd definitely choose this bar over the recent Una bar.  The only reason that I didn't buy one is that I splurged on this one...

IMG_E0776.JPG

2 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Am taking this thread as an excuse to post up a picture of my 10 oz silver (plus kilo QB completer) as food for thought.  

Personally, my two favourites are the 10 oz QB completer and the 10 oz 2018 Valiant with its incuse design, but I love all these pieces of silver.

I prefer the dimensions of the 10 oz coins over the kilo coin.  The kilo coin is fantastic, but it's more of a cylinder than a coin.

Food for thought for the OP perhaps 🙂

PM Big Silver.JPG

I'll bet that looks even better irl. 

The coins are so big they make the bars look small 😂

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

I like larger bits of silver like 10oz as they feel great in the hand compared to 1oz or 2oz coins, even 100g silver gives some nice weight

I'm a stacker more than a collector so that rules out Una and her Lion, although I would like to join them next time they do a night out in Liverpool

Britannia 10oz or Kookaburra 10oz? 

I like them both and I think your prices are too high. I've seen both sell on TSF for £250-260 and £220-250 on the Brits IIRC (bars not coins). @theman73 could probably sell you one or both right now. I think on Brits (bars) I paid £240 maybe including shipping (different seller)

With none of them giving you CGT-exemption (other than 10oz Britannia coins) you can choose whatever you want. I don't think you can go far wrong with any but with my money I'm probably buying the Britannia or the Kook based on value. Una and her Lion might go up more in price than the others but that's speculative

I would say your price ranges are more reasonable. I think I would be more comfortable buying something closer to the spot price. The Una and the Lion bars are stunning, don't get me wrong, but I would rather have bang for your buck than something speculative with no guarantee it'll hold its premium.

For this reason, I've decided it's now between either Britannias or Kookaburras. The dealers are a tad more expensive so perhaps I see if I can get these cheaper on TSF.

Edited by ZEE123

Of those options, I'd choose the Kookaburra.

I bought a 2024 1oz Una & Lion bar...sadly the design isn't any better in real life!  Much prefer the previous design, which I also have in 1oz.

I find Brit's a bit boring.  Design doesn't change much.  Think their main purpose is being CGT free.  I would chose one of those over the above bar though.

Kooks design changes every year.  Quality is fantastic.  None of mine have milked (yet at least...) and the caps they come in are generally very robust.  I have several smaller Kooks in both gold & silver, but I'm yet to buy a 10oz version as they hold premium so well...which it seems is one of the things you're looking for.

• ZEE123 changed the title to 10 oz silver bar or coin - Una and the Lion, Britannia coin or Kookaburra

I should have 10 oz Britannia coins and bars in the next couple of days

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

13 hours ago, CANV said:

Englehard........ 

I've heard of Englehard, apparently their bars are quite sought after

17 hours ago, MBTPSilver said:

Great choice, always been happy with a 10oz Kook as my profile pic would suggest.

I have the coin in your profile pic too, but as a 1 oz coin. Lovely design. I do like a 10 oz piece of silver, very satisfying when you feel the weight of it. I'm happy with my new purchase 👍

7 hours ago, ZEE123 said:

I've heard of Englehard, apparently their bars are quite sought after

Not seen any on here for ages..   they are a bit like the Rolex of silver bars.   its called 'vintage silver' but basically anything made before the 'great melting'..  especially from now defunct smaller manufacturers.   lots of small US firms included in that as well .. 

On 07/03/2024 at 16:55, ZEE123 said:

I've decided which one to get and I've gone for a Kookaburra. An awesome and beautiful coin, very pleased with it 👍

17098304783842753072805303609825.thumb.jpg.f2ac65ee34daf5356cda9e78988ee7a4.jpg17098304053936225785774304822371.thumb.jpg.6c8ba004e9f8366f90982863807c9a19.jpg

Clean artwork, nice pickup.