• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal mail prices rise

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

None of like price rises, however, for PMs, who else is there and what prices do they charge?😮🤔

The prices will be closer to what other companies are charging. Just warning people what's to come more than anything. 

I don't think there's much else you can do but pay it. Will add a good £20 to everyone's order's if you need full insurance. 

Just now, Richard82 said:

The prices will be closer to what other companies are charging. Just warning people what's to come more than anything. 

I don't think there's much else you can do but pay it. Will add a good £20 to everyone's order's if you need full insurance. 

Yep. The worry is how many people are going to risk 1600 to save £14. It wouldn't be a huge shock if someone did

I'm not a fan of SD at all.  Causes a lot of hassle in my circumstances (admittedly different to many people).  But also poses a safety & security risk.  Advertising to everyone that the package contains something valuable...and to post workers & neighbours how often you're receiving something valuable.  I'd always rather have anything up to £500 posted via Tracked48.  Never lost any parcels doing that.  And as long as they don't contain rattly caps, no-one knows what's inside, reducing the risk of theft or future personal security issues.

The only downside is the lack of insurance for if there was a genuine loss in transit, but even then it should be traceable with all the tracking points shown online.

Hopefully the bullion dealers may consider alternative services after these prices rises.

I have seen sellers posting sovereigns on eBay and using 48hrs tracking with no signature.  Get you cheap gold while you can. Up to now I have always rounded the postage down. Come April all will be rounded up.  That 73% increase is a P155 take. 

I am sure online dealers will have to put up their premiums on gold coins. 2.5% over spot will be hard to find online with sovereign. For now UK Bullion are still at 2.43%. 

Take advantage of @arphethean cheap stamps while you can still get them.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

17 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I have seen sellers posting sovereigns on eBay and using 48hrs tracking with no signature.  Get you cheap gold while you can. Up to now I have always rounded the postage down. Come April all will be rounded up.  That 73% increase is a P155 take. 

I am sure online dealers will have to put up their premiums on gold coins. 2.5% over spot will be hard to find online with sovereign. For now UK Bullion are still at 2.43%. 

Take advantage of @arphethean cheap stamps while you can still get them.

Yes and make sure you apply for all refunds where possible. I've done 3 for non signature and one SD that was late. Actually an easy process and the non signature gets you a book of 8 1st class stamps that's worth double the price that the delivery is, especially worthwhile now prices are increasing.

39 minutes ago, Minted said:

I'm not a fan of SD at all.  Causes a lot of hassle in my circumstances (admittedly different to many people).  But also poses a safety & security risk.  Advertising to everyone that the package contains something valuable...and to post workers & neighbours how often you're receiving something valuable.  I'd always rather have anything up to £500 posted via Tracked48.  Never lost any parcels doing that.  And as long as they don't contain rattly caps, no-one knows what's inside, reducing the risk of theft or future personal security issues.

The only downside is the lack of insurance for if there was a genuine loss in transit, but even then it should be traceable with all the tracking points shown online.

Hopefully the bullion dealers may consider alternative services after these prices rises.

I guess it depends where you live, if you're in a tiny village where everyone knows everyone and everything, with the postman lacking discretion, then your point is valid.

I was told once that the biggest reason for missing parcels is poor packaging. Some people actually sending coins in envelopes that the automated letter machine just chucks out.

I use little pip boxes, cover the item in bubbles and tape to the box so it doesn't rattle. There is 0 indication what's in it and it's secure.

The small village that I live in now does not even have a post office anymore.  We had a mobile post office van that came to the village for just under a hour on Tuesday mornings but we were told that the van broke down in early February and there is no news as to when it will be back on the road.  The nearest post offices take around 10 minutes to get there by car.   I have been to one of them and the post office is not their main business so they serve their shop retail customers first.

I am sure glad that I don't do as much trading in coins that I used to do since posting items with Royal Mail is becoming rather difficult.

The news article that I read about the upcoming price increases stated that Royal Mail was saying price rise was needed because of the decline in letters and other items being sent.

Most people I know did not bother sending out Christmas cards because of the previous price rise and slow delivery of cards in previous years.

I feel that this price rise will have a further impact to the volume post processed by Royal Mail.

It has been noticeable that in the last few years we have had fewer and fewer Christmas cards from older folk.  I am fairly sure it’s the prices.

SD for me is a premium service and worth it but it is getting expensive for what it’s actually worth.  

FedEx is supposedly good but expensive.  Lots of the other deliver services are to my opinion just junk.  I had a £500 hamper left on the road outside my door by one of the delivery companies who then bombarded me with “how did we do” messages.

SD remains the best out there for me.  Despite the cost  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I had a recent delivery from Royal Mail where the coin was left outside a house 6 doors down from where we live and a signature made up, the parcel left outside on a wet floor.

This coin was a couple of thousand pounds.

Was very lucky I saw the email notifcation from the Royal Mail stating item had just been delivered, so I confronted the post person and luckily found the coin.

2 weeks before this, a coin sent by Royal Mail purchased from here on TSF with evidence of posting still not received. Luckily, it is only a small value, but not the point.

Reported all to Royal Mail and no action, just a brush off of the forged signature, and they should really not drop off outside someone elses house, then more questions for a coin of value only £30.

I personally think Royal Mail service is indifferent at best. It is definitely not good enough where I live.

I would pay a little extra to have purchases sent by Fed Express, not the Royal Mail any longer, as I don't trust it as I once did. Might be an area you live at thing though and we are just unlucky.

11 minutes ago, Muncle said:

I had a recent delivery from Royal Mail where the coin was left outside a house 6 doors down from where we live and a signature made up, the parcel left outside on a wet floor.

This coin was a couple of thousand pounds.

Was very lucky I saw the email notifcation from the Royal Mail stating item had just been delivered, so I confronted the post person and luckily found the coin.

2 weeks before this, a coin sent by Royal Mail purchased from here on TSF with evidence of posting still not received. Luckily, it is only a small value, but not the point.

Reported all to Royal Mail and no action, just a brush off of the forged signature, and they should really not drop off outside someone elses house, then more questions for a coin of value only £30.

I personally think Royal Mail service is indifferent at best. It is definitely not good enough where I live.

I would pay a little extra to have purchases sent by Fed Express, not the Royal Mail any longer, as I don't trust it as I once did. Might be an area you live at thing though and we are just unlucky.

I've never known RM to do that, I guess it depends on the postman, but either way, it's not good enough and I would definitely consider FedEx for expensive items. At the end of the day, most of the time, postage choice is of the buyer (on here).

I personally have never sent anything via FedEx but I might learn how it's done just incase.

Never had a problem with the Royal Mail here. Also, the local posties are really good, most having been on same rounds for some time. Only problems I have had when I have used Evri …. at times useless and of course like the rest, virtually impossible to get sorted without a heck of a lot of hassle😮🤔🤔

5 minutes ago, ccfcpaul said:

I've never known RM to do that, I guess it depends on the postman, but either way, it's not good enough and I would definitely consider FedEx for expensive items. At the end of the day, most of the time, postage choice is of the buyer (on here).

I personally have never sent anything via FedEx but I might learn how it's done just incase.

It was a first for us.

Our postie the previous year was good.

Personally found very odd behaviour with the large value item. 6 doors down from where we live is over 100 metres away. With this and lack of other general mail and missing TSF all was reported to the police.

Will look at FedEx myself. Might be a good idea to mix delivery service mediums anyway than relying on just one company.

22 minutes ago, Muncle said:

It was a first for us.

Our postie the previous year was good.

Personally found very odd behaviour with the large value item. 6 doors down from where we live is over 100 metres away. With this and lack of other general mail and missing TSF all was reported to the police.

Will look at FedEx myself. Might be a good idea to mix delivery service mediums anyway than relying on just one company.

FedEx are used by a couple of the big auction houses for high value item delivery.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

33 minutes ago, Petra said:

Never had a problem with the Royal Mail here. Also, the local posties are really good, most having been on same rounds for some time. Only problems I have had when I have used Evri …. at times useless and of course like the rest, virtually impossible to get sorted without a heck of a lot of hassle😮🤔🤔

I knew an evri deliverer and he said he used to take parcels, sometimes unable to post that day, so used to store them in his flat. If he had a lot, he'd leave them in his parked car overnight.

It's a no from me 😂

10 minutes ago, dicker said:

FedEx are used by a couple of the big auction houses for high value item delivery.  

Some auction houses are total rip off merchants. I got charged £30 for a 1kg parcel.

Then another that recommended mailboxes, who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole. £45 quid and all they do is package it and send via RM. Then unless you pay 15 quid insurance, you have no chance of getting your money back, as they blame RM and RM blame mailboxes. I would not be surprised if mailboxes make a claim for the missing parcel either.