• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Post office Workers (sometimes) take advantage of poor and vulnerable

Most post office workers are good, but there are definitely some bad eggs out there. 

I was in a post office that is not my usual one and an older gentleman went up before me to the counter. 

He had a small, thin jiffy bag to post. 

He asked to send it by the cheapest method possible.

The post office worker then asked, "For security reasons I need to know what is inside". To which he replied, "A charm bracelet for my granddaughter". 

The post office worker jumped on this opportunity to say, "You will have to send it special delivery as it is jewellery, that will be £7.65 please" The old man looked a bit taken aback and then started rummaging around in his pockets for the cash. I heard him say, "the bracelet only cost me £3 at a charity shop".

I really wanted to step forward and say something, but I decided not to make a fuss. Maybe I should have done. 

This is not the first time I have seen this behaviour and it really makes me quite sad. The people that don't push back don't know any better and just get taken advantage of unfortunately. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

That’s the post office just trying to increase there turnover, that actually makes me sick people taking advantage of elderly and vulnerable people.. shame on them and karma is a b*tch 

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I really wanted to step forward and say something, but I decided not to make a fuss. Maybe I should have done. 

I think I would have done, especially when he said it was only worth a couple of quid. These people need embarrassing!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

You could have stepped in, but the other side is someone might not always appreciate it. Could be seen as listening on their conversation.

I remember a few years ago in a supermarket, someone was buying those four packs of pot noodles for about £3.50, I noticed that the shop were selling singles for 50p, I pointed this out and boy what what a look I got.  Sometimes people just do not want to be helped.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

16 hours ago, Spyder said:

You could have stepped in, but the other side is someone might not always appreciate it. Could be seen as listening on their conversation.

I remember a few years ago in a supermarket, someone was buying those four packs of pot noodles for about £3.50, I noticed that the shop were selling singles for 50p, I pointed this out and boy what what a look I got.  Sometimes people just do not want to be helped.

If people can't work it out for themselves, just leave them to it. 

17 hours ago, Spyder said:

It' a public place.

However, if you're trying to help somebody who can save some cash, if they don't appreciate it, at least you have done your good deed for the day😃

This happens in the USA as well since my mom was sick a while back so asked my Aunt to post a package to me from the USA and the UK and they shipped it via a more expensive option than it should have.

I wish someone would have helped my Aunt out since the price she paid was over $40 US dollars while here is an example of costs from the  US Mint web site says.

International Shipping - 

You will be charged $17.90 plus a $2.95 handling fee per item for the United States Mint's International Shipping option.
Packages shipped using the United States Mint's International Shipping option usually arrive within 1 to 2 weeks.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/customer-service/shipping.html

The other issue is that my Aunt did not know what to put on the customs form.....so the person helped her out.  Of course, the package ended up not even leaving the USA since they put coins on the customs form.

Which according to this is a prohibited item:

Coins; platinum, gold, or silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewels; and other valuable articles.

As well as:

Coins; banknotes; currency notes, including paper money; securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler’s checks; platinum, gold, and silver; precious stones; jewelry; watches; and other valuable articles are prohibited in Priority Mail Express International shipments to the United Kingdom.

https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/tz_018.htm

When my mom was better she reposted the package with hobby supplies on the customs form for a somewhat lower amount than what my Aunt paid.

What is in the package was a 2023 Uncirculated Coin set that they bought for me from the US Mint, the 2023 P/D Innovation Dollar coins, and the S mint quarters clad - non proof that they got bought from a dealer  My Mom and Aunt were trying to helpful since sadly my previous US coin source that I dealt with for over 15 years passed away.

Does the US Mint get some sort of bulk discount deal with who they use to ship packages?
How can the US Mint sent items to the UK (or even the Royal Mint to send items to the USA) if coins are prohibited thru the mail?

Who should my family use to post items to me in the UK in the future if needed?

I know all of this is not directly related but in my Aunt's case, they helped her post something for a sum of money can be quite a sum to a person in their mid 80's and they helped put a description down which flagged it as a prohibited item so the package never left the USA but was returned to her.

On 01/03/2024 at 04:18, BackyardBullion said:

I would have done so, and stepped forward to help this senior gentlemen. And I would write an anonymous complaint about this behavior siting the location and time.

That's nothing compared to UPS. 

I paid for express service, their higher tier service from UK to Germany I had a package, then due to reasons unknown they decided to hold the package for several weeks. They claimed it was for customs reasons, yet for some reason I had other packages incoming from the USA also with UPS but with their standard tier service. 

So the Standard tier went straight through customs and the express tier was held up and put in storage which UPS then has tried to claim money for on top of the original fee plus the import duties and VAT. 

I still haven't paid UPS to this day for the fees they have tried to charge me, they can take a running jump off a very high point they feel they are positioned to a very much lower, more concrete reality for all I care, I will not pay and they can take me to court. 

Both packages were sent around similar times in November last year, the UK package (express tier) was sent first then while I waited for it in storage the package from the USA was dispatched and arrived within a couple of days from dispatch. 

Edited by tpcob303