• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Do we buy the coin or the grade?

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

My guess is that the 1884 is the MS64, and the 1872 is the MS61.

Sorry but neither of these is correct (and there are two 1884, both a Melbourne and a Sydney)
Very brave to go first though 🙏

28 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Sorry but neither of these is correct (and there are two 1884, both a Melbourne and a Sydney)
Very brave to go first though 🙏

I was meaning the Sydney 1884.

I was going on how rubbed the faces of the lions were in the shield on the reverse - this is one detail that tends to go first.

4 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I was going on how rubbed the faces of the lions were in the shield on the reverse - this is one detail that tends to go first.

4 minutes ago, James32 said:

Whatever the grade that 1884s is a beautiful coin.

There is a bit of a curve ball in there (on purpose).
I think one of the AU58's is under graded and should be an MS61 at least.  I also think one of the 58's is over graded so comme si comme sa I guess

17 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Bonus points for getting the right coins, just the wrong way around 👍

1 minute ago, Orpster said:

And we have a winner, I think you are now promoted from rookie to journeyman at least 🥰

1872MS64F.thumb.JPG.67327c517fd7c69c68d76d69812eb3c8.JPG S1884MS61Slab(1).thumb.JPG.60cd52d3f59fc93c018b41a7ba85204e.JPG 

M1884AU58(1).thumb.JPG.aca898e37d69cb6bc097fb68e4312e30.JPG S1878AU58SLABF.thumb.JPG.a7e2cb8ee1923b8060458dca7fafb74f.JPG S1881AU58Slab(1).thumb.JPG.74a0b6d8c00e594fe1c42d7c39fc3a52.JPG

Hold my coat, I’m promoted.. I’m away back to study more 📚🎉

Honestly only based it on the least damage to the observe, the reverse I wouldn’t know where to start..🤣

Is it the 1881s that should be graded higher as that looks like a nice coin?

On that 1884s, has a spider managed to get into the capsule?

Never Chase and Never Regret 

7 minutes ago, AOB said:

Curiosity, I could be taught a thing or two..

Whats the price tag for these sheildbacks graded?

The 1872 I already cashed out so I no longer own, it went to one of the guys that runs Cameo Coins

The others I would have to research, but guesstimate would be £480-£650 depending on the year and grade

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Is it the 1881s that should be graded higher as that looks like a nice coin?

On that 1884s, has a spider managed to get into the capsule?

Yea 1881S is the one I think is under graded, and the 1878S is the one I think is over graded

Its plastic strands from the capsule on the 1884S, typical NGC quality control

11 minutes ago, Orpster said:

The 1872 I already cashed out so I no longer own, it went to one of the guys that runs Cameo Coins

The others I would have to research, but guesstimate would be £480-£650 depending on the year and grade

The older coins have me baffled regarding prices, not sure what a good price for bullion shieldback sovs for those years are good or bad..?

Suppose they 100+Year Old coins, so plenty of history behind them

1 minute ago, JamesH said:

Given 72 lacks lustre I’d say that’s the AU coin. However, it’s also my favourite of the 3 👍🏼

lol…never mind. Just seen the results above. Shows what I know eh. To be fair, from the ensuing photos I can now see rather more lustre on the coin as well and looks way better when not zoomed in. Lovely coins full stop 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

Yea 1881S is the one I think is under graded, and the 1878S is the one I think is over graded

Its plastic strands from the capsule on the 1884S, typical NGC quality control

I would agree with all those gradings , which is a miracle for me and NGC, except the 1872 which I think is a tad overgraded at 64, better at 63

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

When there are two of the same type of coins with grades that are different, but close, using just pictures is quite difficult to tell the difference? Certainly price differences such as between 69 and a70 are pathetic. 

probably gets a little easier with some older coins and lower grade, you just need to know in general what the grade means and then you can look .. for example, worn raised surfaces 🤔😮

1 hour ago, Orpster said:

Graded coins will usually cost a bit more once you get past AU53, but lower grades don't always.  

A common year bullion shield raw (ungraded) you can pick up about £425, so around a £30 premium over a George and Dragon

Scarce, rare and variants will be more unless you get lucky, as will any in really nice condition.  So as an example were I selling the below the 1872 would be £425 but the 1881S would be £525 (ish)

1872Die11(1).thumb.JPG.3b1b0a669aa123bfdd0db133bb8872f0.JPG 1872Die11(2).thumb.JPG.9559d22ef6d5f4b039ba2aae0d4b6cb8.JPG

S1881EF(1).thumb.JPG.dea055d0220d7750538bb55f1a8d8b6a.JPG S1881EF(2).thumb.JPG.ccbb0add2c095dbe44c6b242e7a71e44.JPG 

The 1872 is common and in very bullion condition, the 1881S is a rare and in lovely condition, I am hoping it will be an MS grade.  And I would put money on that if I sold them the 1881S would go first, and likely very quickly.  The 1881S is currently with @GoldDiggerDave for conservation and grading

I appreciate the guidance and will be sure to hold off and study more before dipping my toe into these sovs.. hopefully the grading goes well and @GoldDiggerDave works his magic 🤞🏽

Thanks again bud

I don't really buy 'grades' any more as such. I don't even bother grading the coins I buy. I tend to just buy on eye appeal now. I've had VF coins that looked better than EF coins.

I don't buy mint state coins any more, except for Standing Liberty Quarters because I like the design. Give me a honest coin between VF and AU any day.