• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britania’s

Hi,

I collect Britannia one ounce silver among others and buy them directly from the Royal Mint. I keep them in a collectors case and have about 100. Should I keep the original cardboard sleeves and barcode which I received them in or is it okay just to keep them in the protective case.

Or... hear me out... ditch the silver Brits and fast forward to Sovereigns like everyone else on The Silver Forum have done... :lol: 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You say ‘collect’, do you mean you are just stacking one oz silver Britannia or buying special design ones as well? Either way if you carry on with this, get a paid membership on here and have access for buying cheaper silver either for stacking or collecting. But you might want to think of buying some gold!🤔😮

1 minute ago, DavidE said:

If you're a Brit fan, feel free to check out my site - https://britannia-uk.com/britannia

I'm a big fan myself !

Oh so it’s your site that sparked my interest in collecting Britannias!? It’s extremely well done. Could you help me find a price guide for each year? Thanks

4 hours ago, SovereignBull said:

Oh so it’s your site that sparked my interest in collecting Britannias!? It’s extremely well done. Could you help me find a price guide for each year? Thanks

Use the site mentioned as a starting point for mintage figures and idea what some look like if not seen before. Then be lucky, Some of the years go for all sorts, just a matter of trawling through some sites, but keep an eye on here like as today you do get some special years on here and at a decent price.🤔😮

Edited by Petra
add

2 minutes ago, Petra said:

Use the site mentioned as a starting point for mintage figures and idea what some look like if not seen before. Then be lucky, Some of the years go for all sorts, just a matter of trawling through some sites, but keep an eye on here like as today you do get some special years on here and at a decent price.🤔😮

yeah I will do and been good hunting done already - gonna get the post 2012s completed fairly quickly and cheaply. Some lovely designs for those minted before 2012 with the chariot designs being my fave 

Collecting Britannia coins can become addictive and expense.

DavidE's site is a blessing and a curse since you list variants of the Britannia coins that I never knew about a few years back but it a good reference to aid you and picking and choosing what you might want to acquire for your Britannia collection.

While the site says ""the 2018 Dog privy appears to be the second most elusive". in my case, I am finding that the 2015 Ram privy is second hardest to find but partly my fault since have not really tried that hard to obtain one.

Not going to bother with the 1997 one or the 2019 Pig privy ones.

I also never bothered with the BU or Proof ones but I did acquire one of 2015 £50 ones and I also ended up with a 2023 proof since sadly my USA based trading partner passed away so rather returning it, I kept it.

You all need to be looking on auction sites. There is stuff comes up that goes quite cheap. Easiest way to get the 1997 is buy a set …. on line via auction, have seen one auction with three or four for sale and they go for a great price.🤔😮

I have done searches before for the 1997 Britannia but all I find are proof ones.  I am a bit confused.  The site says 16,005 Mintage in the Regular section and then under Proof it says - 4,173 Individual Mintage and 11,832 Set Mintage which totals 16,005, so if the goal my Britannia collection is not to have proofs, then I can skip the 1997 one, right?

4 minutes ago, kena said:

I have done searches before for the 1997 Britannia but all I find are proof ones.  I am a bit confused.  The site says 16,005 Mintage in the Regular section and then under Proof it says - 4,173 Individual Mintage and 11,832 Set Mintage which totals 16,005, so if the goal my Britannia collection is not to have proofs, then I can skip the 1997 one, right?

4 minutes ago, kena said:

Only done as proof … sets and individual. Any without a box and coa that aren’t slabbed are definitely from a split set.😮🤔

17 hours ago, kena said:

Yes you're correct. I'm wondering if I should remove the 1997 from the bullion section as it might be confusing.

It's only available in proof, as others have mentioned. I personally bought thr 1997 4 coin set and then sold the fractionals coins, just keeping the 1oz. Ended up saving quite a bit compared to buying an individual 1997.

DavidE,

Thank you for updating the site, the removal of the 1997 one from the bullion section and text of Silver Britannia's have been released each year beginning in 1997 (with 1997 only available in proof) explains the situation with them very well.

Your site is the best reference for the Britannia coin series as well as other coin series

Ken

On 09/02/2024 at 17:00, TheShinyStuff said:

100oz of Silver Brits is amazing, but I'd imagine that with what you've paid buying direct from RM you could have bought at least 150 on this forum. As @James32 said, buy on here, you'll save a fortune, it's also a great place to sell them if you need to liquidate. Also the cards don't add anything, stick them in a decent capsule, or even a tube.

On 09/02/2024 at 16:52, James32 said:

Just keep in capsules. The cardboard outer won't add anything, future buyer will want it opened to check condition of coins.

Look into a membership and buy your britannias on here ( currently selling around £22 per oz )

Thanks for that. I did buy a few from auction houses but got ripped off on three which turned out to be Chinese copies knocked out in someone’s bedroom. Did get my money back but have been very wary since hence Royal Mint. 

6 minutes ago, Badboypat said:

Thanks for that. I did buy a few from auction houses but got ripped off on three which turned out to be Chinese copies knocked out in someone’s bedroom. Did get my money back but have been very wary since hence Royal Mint. 

Unfortunate, but you’ll be great on here😮👍