• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Get your free coronation half crown for just £2.50 p&p here!

Screenshot_20240201-0729072.thumb.png.772ec524c4eeb31e29b368a912dde7fb.png

https://www.londonmintoffice.org/nna-coronation?utm_medium=email&utm_source=affiliates&utm_campaign=coronation&hash={contactfield=webhash}&awc=22461_1706771510_47888e63fef1aa17bacef1ec62ac74f6

Disclaimer: May cause copious amounts of marketing spam and junk mail to be sent to you. But it's worth it for the 'free' coin right?

1 hour ago, Kitalon said:

May cause copious amounts of marketing spam and junk mail to be sent to you.

Correct ! This marketing tactic is still from the 1980s and they haven't changed with the times 

Thankfully we have the internet, helpful forums, bookface groups, eBay, one to one trades, impartial independent grading, access to auction result prices 

If you don't innovate you evaporate in business. 

When i first started (2+years now)stacking i bought a 1/4 sovereign from them. The post from them has been relentless ever since. Every month.

Wish they'd stop.

Wont be contacting them ever again for anything. Hopefully they'll give up eventually.

4 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

When i first started (2+years now)stacking i bought a 1/4 sovereign from them. The post from them has been relentless ever since. Every month.

Wish they'd stop.

Wont be contacting them ever again for anything. Hopefully they'll give up eventually.

Simply ask them to stop and they'll have to.

Well to be perfect honest I don't mind a bit coin spam coming through the post, it'll make a nice change from the same old bills (which seem to make up 99% of my post). But yes it's no biggie to drop them a line ask to be removed from any and every mailing list which they must do by law, plus it saves trees, carbon-footprint and the planet. But I don't think it's a reason not to claim a 'free' (cough cough, so called) coin. For me it's a no-brainer because it fits in with my collecting objectives, but I don't think I'll bother with their other currently 'free' coins - Winston Churchill half-crown and Team GB: Road to Paris medal.

Ahh! I see it's a coin minted for Gibraltar, I didn't spot that bit because they partially obscured the legend in the original graphic. But that's fantastic I do like some of the Gibraltar minted coins. The proofwork looks beautiful with that half-crown. Did it come in a nice box? 😆

Edited by Kitalon

3 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

Ahh! I see it's a coin minted for Gibraltar, I didn't spot that bit because they partially obscured the legend in the original graphic. But that's fantastic I do like some of the Gibraltar minted coins. The proofwork looks beautiful with that half-crown. Did it come in a nice box? 😆

I can't remember how it came to be honest. Ones like this usually come in a carded collection where you add the next coin in the series. I've ordered a few in the past of previous series but never followed up with them.

8 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

it's a coin minted for Gibraltar, I didn't spot that bit because they partially obscured the legend in the original graphic

This is a common trick! Westminster and Koin Club seem to do the same sort of thing, touting the fact that what they're selling is a "legal tender coin", while deliberately (in my opinion) overlapping the images to make it harder to see that it's only going to be legal tender somewhere far away like the Pitcairn Islands with its population of 67.

On 01/02/2024 at 13:41, Kitalon said:

Lesson: Always read what’s ‘written on the tin’ There’s at least a dozen or so marketing companies out there ready to jump on the RMs bandwagon, and a favourite ploy is to make it look as similar to a U.K.coin as possible. 
Using British Overseas territories, such as Gibraltar is normal practice. It could be TDC, Ascension Island, St Helena etc….

The London Mint Office generally targets the naive and gullible public with tiny very expensive coins which would never appreciate in value in a million years!  This ‘Free’ half-crown is another tactic to get your name on the List, but if you like it -that’s all that matters.

Lawrence Chard once referred to this company as The London Mint Orifice!  Although could have been a ‘Typo’😀!

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I sometimes wonder if this sort of thing caused any trouble and is why he doesn't post any more!

Who knows?  L.C. certainly had a sense of humour. I always thought of him as the Head-master, correcting spelling & grammar, just his pedantic way I suppose. Always a mine of knowledge and information though. Never heard of a denticle before!

L.C. Must have spent several hours on TSF every day responding in great detail to almost every topic. Perhaps it was affecting his business?!…….He always defended Chards policies well, if criticised by TSF members for delayed deliveries etc. As a business member I also thought he handled potential conflict of interest very well.

He still owes me a pint from way back, but of course doesn’t know my real name! 😊

Edited by Britannia47

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Who knows?  L.C. certainly had a sense of humour. I always thought of him as the Head-master, correcting spelling & grammar, just his pedantic way I suppose. Always a mine of knowledge and information though. Never heard of a denticle before!

L.C. Must have spent several hours on TSF every day responding in great detail to almost every topic. Perhaps it was affecting his business?!…….He always defended Chards policies well, if criticised by TSF members for delayed deliveries etc. As a business member I also thought he handled potential conflict of interest very well.

He still owes me a pint from way back, but of course doesn’t know my real name! 😊

🍺🍺🤔😁

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 13:52, paulmerton said:

...touting

g the fact that what they're selling is a "legal tender coin"...

I'm struggling to think of any countries where a half crown would be legal tender?

Would it be 12.5p (on the UK standard), 25c (on the Aussie standard) or 30 new pence on some standard that's just been invented?

It's just an odd denomination all round. A crown I could have understood - as 1980, 1981 etc.

20 minutes ago, SidS said:

I'm struggling to think of any countries where a half crown would be legal tender?

Would it be 12.5p (on the UK standard), 25c (on the Aussie standard) or 30 new pence on some standard that's just been invented?

It's just an odd denomination all round. A crown I could have understood - as 1980, 1981 etc.

12.5p I expect.

In the UK, all non-£5 crowns minted since 1818 are still legal tender with a value of 25p.