• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

At Buyers Risk

17 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have been asked by post office workers many times and each time I say, "nothing prohibited" and if they ask again to clarify I say I'm not telling you anything else. Captain subtext says "mind your business and jog on"

Plumbing is my answer

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

8 hours ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

This is where somewhere like Atkinsons is good. I don’t trust posting anything so i will drive to their secure unit and sell some sovereigns etc. yes i could get maybe £5 more per sov on the forum but the peace of mind is worth it, not to mention its one transaction not several. Plus proof of sale if it’s a large amount can come in handy if you need to prove where the funds have come from.

Glad to see that I’m not the only one. In my case it’s doing some business with Chards when I’m in NW England. 

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

Let's not forget also that the optics that buyers have of sellers on this forum counts for an awful lot. Hence why some sellers have no problems selling and others are just here to bump every day.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

1 hour ago, BritStacker said:

Ok, lets make it really easy for you...

As private seller/buyer - The reason the buyer assumes risk is to protect their payment value because Royal Mail will only pay out insurance value against the sales/purchase invoice value of the claimant. Title passes to the buyer upon payment of goods.

The example being:

Scenario 1 - Seller CIF - carriage insurance freight (paid by seller)

Seller buy a coin for £500.

Seller sells the coin for£1000.

If seller claims for loss the Royal mail need evidence of original purchase value and therefore in this case it would sellers purchase invoice for £500. 

Only half of the value is returned.

Scenario 2 - Buyer CIF - carriage insurance freight (paid by buyer)

Seller buy a coin for £500.

Seller sells the coin for£1000.

If buyer claims for loss the Royal mail need evidence of original purchase value and therefore in this case it would be the buyers invoice for £1000. 

Buyer gets full refund.

Additionally, You must always quote actual value to the post office as a different value stated on the postage receipt to that of any claim will make the claim void under RM policy.  So, never leave insurance value at £2500 if goods are sold for £1500.

By purchasing RM postage you are entering into a contract with them and they will hold you accountable to their contract terms. 

If you sell to someone delivered you are opening both parties to risk of loss which can easily be avoided.

Broseph, nobody is saying RM make it easy or that insurance is easy, but the scenarios you've outlined above are not legitimate:

Terms and conditions | Royal Mail

Screenshot2024-01-28171702.thumb.png.5c1ce88111122d38385765872dc677a7.png

The RM compensation covers the market value of the item at the time it was lost.

If the example was a 2024 gold 1oz Britannia, one assumes the market value of that coin would be the average price of the 3-5 most reputable sellers of that item - perhaps Royal Mint, Chards and BBP, or your receipt from a reputable dealer. If as the seller you happened to put a moonbeam price of £2000 on that coin and somebody bought it, well, that's shame on you but the insurance will not cover you for £2000, they will only cover up to say £1650 based on the average price of the top 3-5 suppliers

If you still have doubts then read your home insurance documents. They will replace like for like or if you pay extra, they will pay to rematch sets (of furniture/tiles, etc). They do not give you compensation based on the price you paid for your sofa in 2005, they give you compensation based on the cost to replace that sofa or as close to it as possible in 2024

Apart from the fascinating stuff discussed, it's common courtesy to take responsibility until your word (the contract) has been fulfilled and the item is in the buyer's hands

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

16 hours ago, Spyder said:

OK, Do you give this free money back to the buyer as they were the ones who paid for it?

I've done this like BYB too, makes a better trusting relationship between the buyer and yourself

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Would be interested to know when sellers would refund the money of a lost item,

Royal Mail will sometimes want to contact the buyer and always ask the seller (claimant) for the buyers contact details.  Is there a risk if the buyer has already had their refund they will not participate?  On some forums if I sell something to a stranger I would not pay till Royal Mail are satisfied, if they decide for any reason not to honour the claim I would still cover the loss to the buyer but only once the claims process is complete.  On here that may not be the case, but this is a very different environment.  A new buyer or member I may take that stance but established and time served members I suspect I would cover the loss pretty much straight away on the proviso they both play ball with Royal Mail and return the coin to me should it ever turn up if the claim is rejected.  Should the coin turn up after the claim has been settled by RM...........never considered that.  I think I would leave it up to the buyer but given I had my money back I think the buyer should keep the item.

1 minute ago, Orpster said:

Would be interested to know when sellers would refund the money of a lost item,

Royal Mail will sometimes want to contact the buyer and always ask the seller (claimant) for the buyers contact details.  Is there a risk if the buyer has already had their refund they will not participate?  On some forums if I sell something to a stranger I would not pay till Royal Mail are satisfied, if they decide for any reason not to honour the claim I would still cover the loss to the buyer but only once the claims process is complete.  On here that may not be the case, but this is a very different environment.  A new buyer or member I may take that stance but established and time served members I suspect I would cover the loss pretty much straight away on the proviso they both play ball with Royal Mail and return the coin to me should it ever turn up if the claim is rejected.  Should the coin turn up after the claim has been settled by RM...........never considered that.  I think I would leave it up to the buyer but given I had my money back I think the buyer should keep the item.

You should wait till the claim process is complete, sometimes RM finds the proof that the order was delivered.

More silver coins on my website

dancu.co.uk

Just now, theman73 said:

You should wait till the claim process is complete, sometimes RM finds the proof that the order was delivered.

I will keep that in mind thanks

I will always refund only when the claim is successful on private sales. 

*Edit I typed this in a weird way. What I mean is that I would still refund if it was declined but I would only pay after the decision was made. 

Any business ones I refund immediately and then trust in the claim being settled. If it's not then it's part of doing business and a loss.

20 hours ago, Sovhead said:

I understand what both of you are saying but there are listings that state SD and STILL state at “Buyers risk”

Yeah, i see that quite a bit, when I sell anything I generally put at buyers risk as some buyers want to save as much as possible to save a quid or two, I'm happy to send anything how any buyer requests but once you go off the SD option then compo gets complicated esp with Signed For as it doesnt cover bullion or precious metals.

So if I sell a 1/10th Gold Brit for example or a sov if they want SD its covered so no risk in my opinion, but if they say 'sod it, I want it 2nd class standard' then it is purely their risk as it is them that are taking the security away from the postage..

I offer any option as I believe the buyer can have a choice but I have also bought off here with no option but SD and i go with that, its quite easy, you take a risk or you cover yourself

Anything I sell over £100.00 on ebay gets put up with SD as standard as its too risky for a seller to offer less with all of the scammers and chancers on there

1 hour ago, BritStacker said:

If buyer claims for loss the Royal mail need evidence of original purchase value and therefore in this case it would be the buyers invoice for £1000. 

I had read about the RM only refunding the original purchase price rather than the selling price, but I didn't think of the buyer putting in the claim. 

So based on that, the phrasing when selling, should be "at buyers responsibility" rather than risk, thats when selling SD anyway. As it works out much better for them to request a refund (thats unless you're selling at a loss). Or have I got mixed up there?

16 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I will always refund only when the claim is successful on private sales.

Not being funny but if such a claim was unsuccessful then the buyer would be out of pocket hence they would have taken the risk? unless I'm getting the wrong end of stick which does happen to me sometimes 😁

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

4 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Not being funny but if such a claim was unsuccessful then the buyer would be out of pocket hence they would have taken the risk? unless I'm getting the wrong end of stick which does happen to me sometimes 😁

he's was talking about for late delivery, If its late you can easily claim the cost of postage but Its only the sender that can claim so following a successful claim for late delivery with SD he refunds the buyer

6 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I think I typed this wrong.

What I meant to say was that it would be payable only after the claim has been decided. 

I would refund from my own pocket even if it was not paid out.

The difference is the time before payment.

7 minutes ago, Gordy said:

he's was talking about for late delivery, If its late you can easily claim the cost of postage but Its only the sender that can claim so following a successful claim for late delivery with SD he refunds the buyer

Yeah, this too!

1 minute ago, ccfcpaul said:

when setting the insurance, are you allowed to put it at the market value rather than the sales price

selling SD already comes with a level of insurance above those prices, it all depends on the value of the parcel you are sending

Just now, Gordy said:

selling SD already comes with a level of insurance above those prices, it all depends on the value of the parcel you are sending

thats why I used an example below 750