• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this acceptable?

Ignorant

Today I received an uncirculated bullion Yale Queens Beasts 1/4 oz coin that I bought for a hefty 20% premium from a German dealer.

The coin has an abrasion that looks like a pothole, most likely a bag mark visible with the naked eye near the cheekbone of QEII. I’d like to hear your opinions on whether this is acceptable given it’s a bullion coin or worthy of a complaint?

IMG_8539.jpeg

Edited by Ignorant

• Ignorant changed the title to Is this acceptable?
2 hours ago, Ignorant said:

Today I received an uncirculated bullion Yale Queens Beasts 1/4 oz coin that I bought for a hefty 20% premium from a German dealer.

The coin has an abrasion that looks like a pothole, most likely a bag mark visible with the naked eye near the cheekbone of QEII. I’d like to hear your opinions on whether this is acceptable given it’s a bullion coin or worthy of a complaint?

IMG_8539.jpeg

take it out of the flip and take a fresh photo

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

9 hours ago, Gordy said:

take it out of the flip and take a fresh photo

Here you go:

It looks like QEII got stabbed in the jugular. It appears to be chipped on close inspection. Perhaps occurred during minting? The rest of the coin is flawless.

IMG_8543.jpeg

Edited by Ignorant

11 minutes ago, Ignorant said:

Here you go:

IMG_8543.jpeg

Considering you paid a 20% premium, I'd be making a complaint. Send photographs by email and see what they say. I personally wouldn't be happy with a ding on her face. You have nothing to loose by asking the dealer for a replacement, whether they entertain the idea will prove how good a business they run.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

12 minutes ago, Muncle said:

Before you purchased was there a photo of the actual coin you purchased clearly showing the obverse with the mark visible?

You may have some recourse to go back to them if it does not show it?

Good luck with it.

The photo caption was probably along the lines of the usual ‘this is not a photograph of the actual coin you will receive’….. 

30 minutes ago, Muncle said:

Before you purchased was there a photo of the actual coin you purchased clearly showing the obverse with the mark visible?

You may have some recourse to go back to them if it does not show it?

Good luck with it.

The listing shows stock photography. Plus there is no disclaimer as to the coin customers would be receiving. They do mention however that the coins are stored in tubes as is the custom with bullion.

Edited by Ignorant

Just now, Skyfiller said:

I think you’re in the hands of the dealer mate. Being sold as bullion, as long as it’s the correct weight, I don’t think they would be compelled to replace. I’d hope that the dealer values your custom though and does offer a replacement 🤞

I hope they do; especially given the amount of purchases I’ve made from this dealer in the last year.

12 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

There are people you could buy from in Ireland or Northern Ireland who can ship to the Netherlands (EU) without customs charges. You might get better prices and nicer coins

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll keep it in mind.

I had a similar problem earlier this year with both Atkinsons and Chards. I took photos both with natural daylight and artifical light and sent them a polite email of my concerns. They kept sending me badly scuffed gold britannias. I complained and demanded an exchange or refund. One of them were not very helpful and attempted to give me the "it's bullion" jargon. Since then I have not purchased from them again.

Hold your ground and write up a polite email or phone them and explain to them your concerns.

It's your money, your investment and you entrusted them to provide that investment in an acceptable condition.

20% premium for that isn't acceptible in the first place. I thought gold was VAT exempt in both the UK and EU so you should be cable to buy from any UK based dealer or forum member without any customs charge. That pothole could be anything from a ding off the production line to a flawed blank, I'd say acceptible because I see this on all types of bullion coins not just UK omes. That 20% premium is not acceptible, hell no.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Posted (edited)
On 31/12/2023 at 02:34, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

20% premium for that isn't acceptible in the first place. I thought gold was VAT exempt in both the UK and EU so you should be cable to buy from any UK based dealer or forum member without any customs charge. That pothole could be anything from a ding off the production line to a flawed blank, I'd say acceptible because I see this on all types of bullion coins not just UK omes. That 20% premium is not acceptible, hell no.

It all has to do with supply and demand. The queens beasts series is extremely popular and therefore command a premium. Perhaps readily available in the UK but not so in other parts of the world. A lot of UK dealers and forum sellers won’t ship goods abroad. And then there is the hassle with taxes, clearance fees, authenticity, insurance etc etc. It’s not uncommon for stuff to get tied up for over a month at customs. I’ve imported gold before and recouping duties and taxes can be quite tedious. I’ve been monitoring the supply of these coins at the dealer I bought it from, and they’ve been steadily dropping over the course of last month. So apparently there is demand and they are selling. Collectors will pay whatever they deem is fair. 20% premium may seem like a lot, but it’s all relative.

Edited by Ignorant

2 minutes ago, Ignorant said:

Update:

The dealer replied today apologizing for the inconvenience and honoring my request for a replacement. They also included a prepaid return label. Now that’s good service. Now let’s just hope the replacement is in better shape than the coin I’m returning.

Good outcome 👍 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

• 2 weeks later...