• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any advice for a new uk based stacker ?

Welcome. Best bit of advice to start would be to take out a membership on TSF. That way you’ll get visibility to the best deals the moment they’re posted. Lots of good folk around here that will be able to offer solid advice. Personally I don’t think you can beat gold sovereigns so great start 👍🏼

12 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

UK based stackers should focus on CGT exempt gold. Sovereigns and Britannias for instance. These are legal tender coins and won't get taxed for profit. This may or may not change, but for the time being they do hold this advantage.

As UK based stacker you also benefit from the easy access to sovereigns. World recognised and highly liquid. And with trained eyes you can tell whether they're real or fake.

If you buy bulk quantities of sovereigns, you might be lucky enough to find the rare ones and make a profit. Bit like buying lottery but you get your money back even if you don't win.

Yes solid advice 

Don't tell a soul, don't buy in one place, keep records and only buy bits with a view of "how can I sell this" (unless you are planning to take it past the grave). 

It's a nice hobby but would diversify a bit and put your money in other bits also.

Also make sure you know exactly why you stack what you stack.

Otherwise you may be tempted to flip something at short notice and get annoyed if you feel you 'lost' money.

...and as Marc says, zip it. Nobody needs to know.

Edited by JohnA1

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

My advice for a new stacker. Stay away from high premium collections until you understand the market a bit better. Don’t be swayed by seasonal stackers/collectors going ‘gaga’ over the latest new ‘this or that’ coin. Slow and steady. Ask and learn. Then happily dive in when you feel more confident. Above all - have fun.

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

My advice would be to think of your reasons for deciding to purchase precious metals and then have a plan to include the following.

• Monthly budget
  • Spreadsheet tracker
  • Details of items you are interested in
  • Suitable storage facilities
  • Exit plan, i.e how will sell when the time comes.

Whilst in the building phase of your stack, I would suggest not paying to much attention to the daily fluctuations of spot price and instead focus on accumulating metals within your budget. In my early days, I ignored this rule and frequently ended up spending my budget on nights out, meals etc, whilst waiting for spot to drop.

Be sure to shop around but you will often need to look no further than this forum for highly competitive deals.

Personally, I view gold as an alternative savings account and silver as a hobby, purchasing coins / bars that I enjoy.

Also, look to build a profile and and sell some items from time to time, there will always be opportunities to make a little pocket money and reinvest in further metals.

Most of all just enjoy the ride and i'm sure you will soon become addicted like everybody else on the forum. 😀

I'm turning my stack into mainly sovs, very liquid coins, everyone loves a sov and the size is just right at almost 1/4 oz. Its also nice to clank them together in your hands 🤤 im tired of being careful with capsuled flawless gold. As pre-circulated coins you can handle them guilt free. also a very low premium which is the key.

Edited by Upsidedown

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32