• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Most popular silver coins

stackerp5

What would you say are the most well known silver coins and bars around the world?

I know the gold Krugerrand and Sovereign are the gold counterparts, but what would be the silver version?

ASEs? Or Maples?

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

i am sure we had a similar thread on this last year but cant find it.

i think the consensus depending on where you mean was

uk = brits, maples, krugs/ase, roos/kooks

worldwide - ase, maples, brits, krugs with libertads due to the popularity in the us and pandas and oz roos/kooks

usa - ase, rounds, maples,

Thanks guys!

I was considering investing in other bullion which I haven't done in a while. I'm thinking more on the liquidity side in the future, and I believe the most well known coins will be the most liquid, given they're priced correctly. Just looking at investment diversity within PM's for better higher liquidity. I believe what everyone said above is of good and reliable consensus.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

26 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

Is this bullion or proof coins. Is about what we like to stack in terms of popularity or proof coins we would most like to get our hands on no matter the cost?

Bullion coins only, most popular, personal opinions, etc. It's all I'm looking for.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 12:31, bluffer said:

i think the consensus depending on where you mean was

uk = brits, maples, krugs/ase, roos/kooks

worldwide - ase, maples, brits, krugs with libertads due to the popularity in the us and pandas and oz roos/kooks

usa - ase, rounds, maples,

Are silver Austrian Philharmonics not popular?  Libertads are beautiful coins.

In germany it's probably the maple leaf or krugerrand. Now that I am thinking about it... Isn't it curious that Germany doesn't have a trademark 1oz bullion silver of its own? Maybe because of the metric system? But why are there 1kg denominations of the kookaburra and why has Malta now its own 1oz (I will post them, once they arrive). 

7 hours ago, pmbug said:

Are silver Austrian Philharmonics not popular?  Libertads are beautiful coins.

I visited Austria and I was able to easily sell a 1oz bullion silver and a couple 1/10oz bullion gold Austrian Philharmonics coins, no problem, cash in hand. We had those in case we wanted (or needed) to free up some cash, and it came in handy! It was not a great price, and we definitely lost money there, but it was so convenient and it allowed us a few more luxuries!

TL;DR: Yes, it is popular... in Austria :) 

3 hours ago, Kalzifer said:

In germany it's probably the maple leaf or krugerrand. Now that I am thinking about it... Isn't it curious that Germany doesn't have a trademark 1oz bullion silver of its own? Maybe because of the metric system? But why are there 1kg denominations of the kookaburra and why has Malta now its own 1oz (I will post them, once they arrive). 

It is indeed strange that Germany doesn't have its own mass produced gold and silver bullion coins given that it's a ravenous bullion market. I do wonder though, what would the theme of the coin be? There are no animals that I really associate exclusively with Germany. Maybe Neuschwanstein Castle would be cool.

I wish Italy, Switzerland, India, Japan and a south American country mass produced bullion coins. It'd be nice to have more variety.

4 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

It is indeed strange that Germany doesn't have its own mass produced gold and silver bullion coins given that it's a ravenous bullion market. I do wonder though, what would the theme of the coin be? There are no animals that I really associate exclusively with Germany. Maybe Neuschwanstein Castle would be cool.

I wish Italy, Switzerland, India, Japan and a south American country mass produced bullion coins. It'd be nice to have more variety.

I know it doesn’t really count, but I think the Armenian Noah’s Ark coins are produced at a private mint in Germany.

That would also explain why they're among the cheapest and prize hasn't been influenced by the recent war. 

I suggest "Oak Leafs" for fictional German bullion. You could have special editions with other tree themed motives, as have there been with German gold euros already. 

Edited by Kalzifer

11 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

It is indeed strange that Germany doesn't have its own mass produced gold and silver bullion coins given that it's a ravenous bullion market. I do wonder though, what would the theme of the coin be? ...

Make one with an image of a wheelbarrow carrying loads of paper bills and I'll be a buyer!

16 hours ago, Kalzifer said:

There aren't all that many countries where the state mints produce actual bullion coins in quantity - UK, Austria, South Africa, Australia, Canada, China and the U.S. are about it.  The Spanish mint makes some coins, but nowhere near the same numbers. There are quite a few state mints that produce collectibles in smaller mintages, a few more that get coins done by third parties, and any number of private mints producing collectibles.

In several cases (UK, Austria, Australia) there are legal peculiarities that give coins some tax advantages over other bullion, which may or may not be present in other countries.

I guess Germany isn't particularly exceptional in not producing bullion coins at their state mint.  I imagine somebody has looked at the business case at some point and decided it wasn't worth the investment.

There are some outfits in Germany producing bullion - Heraeus, Geiger and Heimerle & Muelle come to mind - but they mostly seem to produce bars. It's possible that there are no tax benefits to buying currency-denominated coins in Germany (which might explain why nobody bothers making them), but I don't know anything about German tax law so I can't say for sure. 

I also see similar situations in most European countries where the state mint doesn't make bullion, which may well be for the same reason.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

UK.   Brit’s and eagles.  Never saw the appeal of a silver krug , I guess due its iconic gold standing

maples look tragic..  

bars. Englehard and then a very long list of small American producers that no longer exist.  JM if it’s not the new stuff they still make ?