• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold for Stacking

9x883

Gold for Stacking  

56 members have voted

1. 1. A purchase of gold is usually:

• 1/10 Ounce
    • Sovereign
    • 1/4 Ounce
    • 1/2 Ounce
    • 1 Ounce

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 19:00

My stack is predominantly fractional gold, and that's the primary strategy.  The trick to stacking fractional gold is knowing how to get it at low premiums, and in most cases the best bang for buck in this is old circulated gold coins.  Because of the nature of UK tax legislation, sovereigns sit in a nice sweet spot of being small enough to be liquid, low premium due to the large numbers manufactured and still out in the wild, and being exempt from capital gains tax as they are still technically legal tender.  For stacking in the UK, sovereigns are a no brainer, although I think you do have to do your homework on the numismatics to some extent, as it's quite easy to overpay.

• Sovereigns are doing the heavy lifting in the UK stack.  I also put some effort into learning to grade sovs and understand a bit about the numismatics.  IMO, this is well worth doing if you plan on buying sovs in quantity.
  • I've bought some other small gold, for various reasons - some European and world gold and other odds and sods (mostly at low premiums), and some 1/10oz coins, mainly to take photos of them.  I think I'll get the money back out of the 1/10ths, but the primary reason has been the photos.  These have been a bit of a sideline, and I will probably buy a few here and there.
  • I've also got a bit of silver (about 100 oz in total), mostly collectibles such as Germania or Perth Mint.  I think these will sell for more or less what I paid for them, but they're mainly for the photos and having something nice and shiny.
  • I may get some silver bars in the 10oz to 1kg range at some point.  These are really only worth buying on the secondary market if you can get them at the right price.  At this size they're small enough to be liquid, so one could largely sell them at what you paid for them if you needed to liquidate.  However, I think it's easy to overpay for silver, and VAT in the mix makes silver quite inefficient for stacking in the UK.  In other countries such as the US, premiums are lower, which makes silver a better deal.
  • I may get 1oz gold coins if I have money at the time and they come up at the right price.  Some I might get just to have the nice shiny - I'd quite like to get some 1oz dollaridoos at some point, and there are a few others like Royal Arms or Maples that are also quite nice and photogenic.  Buffalos get a lot of love as well.  However, I think 1oz coins are expensive enough that most folks can't afford them so they're not so liquid unless you're selling at low premiums.  Therefore, I think one would have take care not to overpay.

In Indonesia, stacking is mostly about small fractional bars in the 1-10g range, and (as most folks don't have a lot of money there) I think the sweet spot is about 3g-10g.  Mostly we're buying 5g bars there.  Certain bars are regulated there, so you can get a 5g bar at roughly the same premium as a bullion sov here, so the spreads are relatively tame.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

15 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Just a bit, but very poetic!  Possibly Lieutenants Chard & Bromhead at Rourkes Drift in 1879 had a few Sovereigns in their purses, as some officers did in the Ist W.W.

”Sentry on the hill reports Zulus to the South-West, thousands of ‘em!……..

Actually been there  and Isandlwana…🇿🇦

IMG_2684.jpeg

11 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Amazing film. Brings back so many memories from when I was a kid. The film not 1879, just in case anyone thought I meant the year.

Routes Drift and Isandlwana were about an hour and half's drive from where I grew up. History was on site..

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

When I did have gold it was:

1) Guineas - somewhat above spot, especially anything pre-George III.

My thinking was, why pay £250 for a run of the mill shield sovereign when I could get an ex-mount guinea for £275? I sold every guinea I bought at a profit.

2) US pre-1933 gold - harder to get at a good price, but I love them.

Never had any problems selling them either, even in the UK. The $20 pieces are just epic, gorgeous chunks of gold.

3) Shield sovereigns - a bit mundane but I happily kept a few on hand. Easy to shift.

4) St George sovereigns, utterly boring, but totally dependable and closest to spot. Although that is always a double edged sword. Closest to spot means it's more readily affected by rises and drops in the gold price.

5) Hammered gold - loved this stuff, but no where near the spot price, variable results when selling them. Best avoided but I just like them.

Thank you for sharing your experience of buying and selling gold. Very useful indeed 💖👌

Edited by 9x883

14 minutes ago, Gruff said:

100% agree that fractionals will be easier to shift going forward. Hang onto those 1oz's you might be able to pay off your mortgage with them

Thankfully my mortgage is very low, but like everyone I bought the wrong stuff at the start but I'm mainly sticking to ½s now as I just like them and more of them makes it look like I have something 😂