• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ever heard of sovereign coasters?

BullionBuyerUK

2 minutes ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

I had thought of that, trouble is, there will always be a bit of sanding to do afterwards the engraving, and that will remove the burning

Fair point, could lacquer after torching first I suppose..but you're absolutely spot on, if any cleanup is needed it may destroy the previous steps. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 hours ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

Just a bit of fun really, been playing around with my laser engraver, never tried coasters before, so didn't have a clue on design, so I thought I'd have a go at some special year sovereigns for a start.

Wanted to make them look they had been pressed into the coaster surface, rather then a perfect picture. Little bit of a clean up with the sander, and some sort of finish on top and I think they will look alright 😁

20230905_164416.JPG

20230905_164220.JPG

Yes I would have at least one set if not more if they became available to purchase 

6 minutes ago, slack said:

Yes I would have at least one set if not more if they became available to purchase 

Looks like I'll have to pull my finger out then and get this sorted. 5hrs ago I did this as a bit of fun, now it looks like I've set my self up for something.

The world is my oyster! How about a sovereign pizza peel? Or a Britannia wooden topped bottle stopper! 🤔😁

Will have to start a list. 

If @ChrisSilver was to be involved, I could do TSF metal cup/bottle flasks if that would interest people?

1 minute ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Nice job

but.....

coasters schmoasters

That's a fibre laser and would cost about £7000 for one like that. A hell of a lot of coaster would have to be made to get that back! 

I hope Lawrence ok'ed the use of that picture 😂

Make sure you don't have to get a licence from his majesty. 

Years ago I looked at doing plaques for service men/women with tour's and medals on it. Turns out all the artwork is owned by the queen and I think at the time it was £500 a year for the licence and 8% of all profits. 

Didn't end up doing it as I had a few nasty letters from Disney from a previous project. 

4 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Make sure you don't have to get a licence from his majesty. 

Years ago I looked at doing plaques for service men/women with tour's and medals on it. Turns out all the artwork is owned by the queen and I think at the time it was £500 a year for the licence and 8% of all profits. 

Didn't end up doing it as I had a few nasty letters from Disney from a previous project. 

I would argue the point that I'm using photographs of coins not supplied by the royal mint (as theirs aren't of a good enough lighting standard) as I mentioned originally, it was all done for a bit of fun for my self

1 hour ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

That's a fibre laser and would cost about £7000 for one like that. A hell of a lot of coaster would have to be made to get that back! 

I hope Lawrence ok'ed the use of that picture 😂

No it's a CO2.  X700 clone from China.  Worked remarkably well - had to have the wiring checked before use of course but all was good.

No room following a move so no longer have it.  I do miss it!

Yes...this 320mm 2017 wooden Britannia has been in Chards window display for a few years now :)

1 minute ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

I would argue the point that I'm using photographs of coins not supplied by the royal mint (as theirs aren't of a good enough lighting standard) as I mentioned originally, it was all done for a bit of fun for my self

I know, just thought I would give you the heads up. 

If you wanna clean the images up a bit before lasering then there are a couple of open source software apps you can use. 

Inkscape for turning your photo into a vector 

https://inkscape.org/

Gimp (why name it this I don't know) for cleaning up a photo

https://www.gimp.org/

24 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I know, just thought I would give you the heads up. 

If you wanna clean the images up a bit before lasering then there are a couple of open source software apps you can use. 

Inkscape for turning your photo into a vector 

https://inkscape.org/

Gimp (why name it this I don't know) for cleaning up a photo

https://www.gimp.org/

Thanks for that, I do use inkscape, but I managed to clean the fields up in these coins in the xtool creative software. Not heard of the other one, I'll take a look at it

4 hours ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

I'm yet to try my laser out on metal. You can create different colours when engraving on metal by adjusting the speed and temperature. My other hobby is wood working, so can't see me doing this anytime soon, but never say never

I used to program CNC lasers as part of my job back in the day. If you've ever had anaesthetic, You've probably had some of my work down your throat lol

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants, and debt is the money of slaves

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BullionBuyerUK said:

What started off as a bit of fun, seems to have got quite a bit interest in me producing some of these. This is the 12 coaster designs I've settled on. I'm using different coasters to the original post as these aren't quite as white looking.

20230918_161945.thumb.JPG.7347909c5768626bb5f7c2dce4b8e25a.JPG

Each coaster is finished with a coat of tinted furniture wax. If there is enough interest in these then I will put up a sales post.

20230918_161949.JPG

20230918_161956.JPG

I think these are really great🌞

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).