• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any guides for eBay sales?

18 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I checked the address on ebay again and the buyer had changed the address to an Argos in Sainsburys 😳

Argos is an eBay collection point.  That's used for people who can't accept deliveries at home for any reason.  They can collect from Argos at any time.

11 minutes ago, Minted said:

Argos is an eBay collection point.  That's used for people who can't accept deliveries at home for any reason.  They can collect from Argos at any time.

Yes it is a safe way for buyers to get deliveries but why was he able to change the postal address after buying and not tell the seller ?

15 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

I’ve been buying and selling coins as a hobby for 15 years, usually only 5 or 6 items a month. The only platform where you are guaranteed a sale when you need it, at somewhere approaching the going rate, is eBay. 
I love the forum and am a long standing member, but selling on here (and similar forums / Facebook groups) is increasingly painful. Things will only sell quickly at rock bottom prices and often not at all.

Unfortunately, apart from certain sovereigns, this is now true, Gillicks here tend to be full priced, but do sell, although even those sales are slowing down.

For many/most other private sellers, there and many trying it on with prices close to, or in cases, more than certain dealers - and peoples ideas of many/most proof coins is often more than Chards, those don't sell, obviously.

BYB sells 3rd party bullion gold at 2-3% over spot, so of course his items sell either here on on his site quickly, few other sellers seem happy with that level of return though.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

54 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Yes it is a safe way for buyers to get deliveries but why was he able to change the postal address after buying and not tell the seller ?

Did you take the address from the email or from the selling page?  I had a couple of incorrect addresses shown on the email last year.  Presumably the default address instead of the buyers desired address for that item.  Since then I always double check the page before ordering postage.

Edited by Minted

37 minutes ago, Minted said:

Did you take the address from the email or from the selling page?  I had a couple of incorrect addresses shown on the email last year.  Presumably the default address instead of the buyers desired address for that item.  Since then I always double check the page before ordering postage.

Got the address from the selling page a bit of a worry if it can be changed after purchase though , maybe he had his old address as the default or changed his mind about PM's being sent to his home. 

On 27/07/2023 at 16:43, Midasfrog said:

Only sell gold and silver on ebay if your prepared to take 100% loss on the chin. 

It's not just the buyer that can mess you about Ebay also plays games with seller's . Putting restrictions on sellers and not releasing any funds from sales this happens often. 

tell me about that. i sold a 1 gram gold bar on fleabay before and the buyer said they received

it but sent it back rts (return to sender) with no proof of return postage. total scammer 

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your comments and useful information!

It took me some time to digest all of it and I have made my decision...

I will be selling all my unused stuff on fleabay first. Sold a couple items already :D After I gain some confidence and some positive feedback, I may move to selling a few small coins.

Thank you all again! Hopefully this works out :)

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

On 28/07/2023 at 08:50, n1k0s said:

Does any of you have experience with catawiki.com ? 

It is also an online auction, like ebay.

They have a variety of PMs on offer which I am watching but I have never bought or sold. 

Yes, Catawiki is a very serious auction house with high visibility all around EU. Their fees of 12.5% for seller and 9% for buyer are acceptable for the quality of products auctioned there, but overall the final prices to pay are higher than if you buy a similar item from Ebay, because the bidders are sometimes  willing to pay more than the real value of the item.

I have bought several times (coins and jewellery) from Catawiki before Brexit and everything (except one purchase) was smooth. The only one issue was with one gold ring bought from an italian seller. The parcel arrived quick, but with a wrong item (lower weight and another stone). The seller accused me of trying to scam, so I have requested mediation from Catawiki. Sending back the item and receiving the fully refund was not a good option for me because the shipping costs and the lack of trust in seller, so I have asked for a partially refund as a proportion from the missing weight. Their customer service was professional and admitted my claim after showing detailed pictures. I have received back 45% from the hammer price within 10 days and 30 euro voucher for next purchase.

After Brexit, I've stopped buying from them because the duty fees. Occasionally, I am placing low bids on their platform for unusual items, but only for fun and like a lottery. I didn't won yet!😂

3 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

There are a few other threads on here with ebay advice apart from this one if you haven't already found them.  I've used ebay from the very beginning for both buying and selling. I've had two ebay accounts and two Paypal accounts irreversibly hacked by ebay scammers, although I'll grant all of that was a fair few years ago.

Here's an anecdote for you.   I made a sale on ebay and sent the item to the buyers listed address. Two weeks later the buyer opened a dispute saying the item had never arrived and ebay emailed me to insist that I send a replacement or provide a refund. I sent the replacement - fortunately it was only an empty CD case worth £1 so no big deal - Once again the buyer claimed it had not arrived.  I started to think this guy was just kidding me on and having a laugh so I engaged with him directly and asked him to confirm his address. He came back to me with a different address from the one that was listed on ebay and said he had forgotten to update it since he had moved house three months ago. Although ebay agreed that I was not at fault and would not be required to send yet another CD case, no refund or compensation was offered to me and I ended up out of pocket to the tune of both of the items plus the postage cost x 2.

I could write a book on my ebay experiences over almost 25 years - some of them good and some of them bad, but my general consensus, and I've said it on many other threads, is that ebay has gone steadily downhill in almost every sense since it's inception and it has been my overall experience that the general ebay customer service attitude is that the buyer is almost always in the right and the seller is almost always at fault, even if this is not the case.

Another worthy point of note is that sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

I personally (and I stress it's just my own opinion) would not contemplate selling pms on ebay.

This is now pretty typical and represents my own approach and opinions for selling on or with ebay.

It should be said however, a number of people here and a family member sell on ebay without issue; 

my family member sells a particularly niche of items though and those appear of less interest to scammers - no idea why;

also, upon first ebay delivery, he includes details and info for his own website with various incentives to steer all their future needs and buys there - so in fairness, ebay is best used as a means to an end, as it's working pretty well for them,

and now ebay only account for about 20% of sales - but cause 80% of customer problems/scammers/similar.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

3 minutes ago, Coverte said:

It should be said however, a number of people here and a family member sell on ebay without issue; 

I still use ebay to buy the occasional piece of tat I might need. Garden string, sellotape, stuff like that.  I still list stuff for sale too, although I hardly ever seem to make a sale these days. Again it's just cheap tat like second hand circuit breakers or old guitar parts.  I couldn't imagine listing something like a sovereign on there. I'd never get a wink of sleep..

17 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

I still use ebay to buy the occasional piece of tat I might need. Garden string, sellotape, stuff like that.  I still list stuff for sale too, although I hardly ever seem to make a sale these days. Again it's just cheap tat like second hand circuit breakers or old guitar parts.  I couldn't imagine listing something like a sovereign on there. I'd never get a wink of sleep..

Me too!!

A few cheap bits where they are cheaper than Amazon, nothing of much value or consequence; and 50% disappoint: EG Sovereign boxes where seller omits to mention they won't fit capsules, a Krugs box, same story- just more hassle than it's worth.

I did however list a toilet on there left over from a property refurb, as with the hidden cistern enclosure, it didn't fit that property tiny toilet. 

It seemed poetic justice somehow to sell a cr@pp3r on fleabay - and miraculously I got a strong offer which I accepted and the guy collected - only a £1 fee also :D

Edited by Coverte
Typo